Monday, August 30, 2021

A roller coaster in Japan known for its speed and acceleration was shut down in August 2021 after several riders reported broken bones.

Comments

2 Fast, 2 Furious of a roller coaster..
Perhaps the riders just need some milk.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-30 10:42 PM | Reply

No big deal-- people have been breaking bones and dying on roller coasters for over 100 years. Hasn't anyone ever heard of Harry Trayer?

The History of Killer Rollercoasters

The Crystal Beach Cyclone

#2 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-08-30 10:49 PM | Reply

I got a mild concussion from a roller coaster years ago. Haven't been on one since, which sucks because I love them and I've ridden plenty. It was just not anywhere close to a smooth ride. I dunno maybe a bearing was out on my car or something.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-30 10:53 PM | Reply

Geez. I though throwing up was bad enough.

#4 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-30 11:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 - "Perhaps the just need some milk."

For the calcium, or to make the vomit more interesting?

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-30 11:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"maybe a bearing was out on my car or ... "

... maybe a screw was loose?

#6 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-31 07:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

For the calcium, or to make the vomit more interesting?

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-30 11:04 PM | Reply | Flag

Both.

#7 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-31 07:19 AM | Reply

An S&S Coaster. Their coaster lineup has always been weird. Still doing air launch when so many have moved to linear induction motors. Getting eclipsed by Rocky Mountain Coaster single rail & wooden coaster track conversions.

I like this part from the wiki though: "To keep riders on their toes, designers added a false start feature, in which riders will occasionally experience a "failed" launch, signaled by loud ringing alarms, followed by a surprise "accidental" launch."

Might explain an injury or two.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-31 09:51 AM | Reply

Maybe they should follow the rules.
Keep arms down. Remain seated.

#9 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-08-31 09:53 AM | Reply

I got a mild concussion from a roller coaster years ago.

#3 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-08-30 10:53 PM | FLAG:

Did you hit your head on the over the shoulder restraint?

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-31 11:49 AM | Reply

There's one in Six Flags Magic Mountain - maybe it's not there anymore, but it jerked your neck back and forth and left to right the whole damn ride. Never went on it again. Now Superman, that was cool. Of course, I haven't been there in 20 years, so...

#11 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-31 07:21 PM | Reply

Six Flags has been steadily upgrading old wooden coasters to Rocky Mountain Coaster I-box track. Old rattletraps are now incredibly smooth.

The single rail coasters are something else too. Very, very intense but with simple strap shoulder restraints instead of the old, injected foam stuff that beat your ears to death. Starting to see that restraint design make it onto other styles of coasters like Gerst.. I can't spell it, the Euro Fighter line.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-01 08:40 AM | Reply

The one I'm talking about wasn't wood, although Goliath was fun to ride. I think it was called Viper.

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-01 11:07 AM | Reply