Friday, September 03, 2021

Federal regulators warned on Thursday they may not have enough data to recommend boosters for anyone except certain recipients of the Pfizer vaccine by late September.

Comments

And then add to that there is a large outcry internationally that Americans getting a third dose of vacccine while most third world or even second world nations can't provide even a first vaccination Is sort of selfish and I can't say I disagree with them.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-03 05:10 PM | Reply

#2 - the same thought occurred to me a few weeks ago when I first heard of the possibility of a booster. But I read an article that the production of the vaccine has ramped up enough that this shouldn't be an issue.

#2 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-03 05:15 PM | Reply

I'd be more worried about doses in red states going to waste. Instead of sending doses to red states, we should be sending them around the world. If some red stater wants the vaccine, they can make an appointment, and a vial can be shipped, but letting doses go bad for lack of willing arms should be criminal.

#3 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-09-03 05:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#3 - " letting doses go bad for lack of willing arms should be criminal."

Is this indeed happening, or are you speculating?

Since records are kept of how many are vaccinated, it would seems silly that whoever administers the program would allow additional shipments to states that still showed a large ratio of doses available to doses administered. Surely the Biden administration is smart enough to be looking for this sort of thing.

#4 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-03 05:25 PM | Reply

@#4 - Try using the Google, I found several stories about MILLIONS of doses going to waste! NBC two days ago, "15 million vaccine doses thrown away since March."

From the NBC Story: "Texas led in reports of vaccine waste by states, with 517,746 wasted doses, North Carolina reported 285,126, Pennsylvania reported 244,214 and Oklahoma reported 226,163. (This list does not include Michigan, which did not have full information listed in the CDC's data release.)"

So basically red states.

There are more news stories if you Google, "covid vaccine going to waste." Enjoy.

#5 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-09-03 05:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 | Posted by danni

Our pharmas have been ripping us off for decades and charging lower prices to the rest of the world. We funded and grew these companies by being gouged (literally to death) by them. It's time we benefited from what we created.

I know we need to get the world vaccinated to prevent more mutations, but I dont have a problem with fully protecting the people who funded the vaccines first.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-09-03 06:32 PM | Reply

However what you fail to mention in your vaccine going to waste issue is a lot of it is how the vaccine is packaged. 6 Doses which have to be administered within 6 hours of opening a vial. Add on the rush to get vaccines in arms means if only 4 people make an appointment in a 6 hour window you will have 2 doses going to waste or are you suggesting that vaccination locations should only agree to appointments once they have 6 scheduled? Then what happens if a person makes an appointment for Monday but only 1 other does so they push it to Tuesday when they can do all 6 but that person can't get the time off work on Tuesday? Logistically with the way the vaccine was packaged waste was guaranteed.

Also 15 million of 372 million administered is only 4%. Honestly that isn't too bad especially given things like freezer failure power outages and the logistic nightmare of multi-dose packaging.

Now all that said I would also agree with sending more doses to countries in need before we start worrying about boosters in this country. If the largest share of unused ones are in red states, which seems logical, then those should be the first shipped. I say that as an immunocompromised person who qualifies for a booster and lives in a red state. If my 8 months hit and we don't have any left because they were sitting around expiring so we shipped them to Nambia oh well.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-09-03 06:33 PM | Reply

#7 - you are absolutely correct with what you say about the viability of the vaccine and how it has to be administered within a certain timeframe. I'm not sure how it is done outside the VA, but I had to make an appointment and keep it to get the vaccine. I presume this minimizes the losses you prescribe.

To be fair, I have seen signs at the CVS that say walk-in vaccinations are available. So your point could be valid there. But I have only recently seen these signs which makes me think the "by appointment only" mode was the norm until demand started slacking off recently.

But wouldn't your scenario also play out in all states, not just the ones less likely to take the vaccine? And in the latter, I dn't think people would make appointments and not keep them.

Regardless how it's done, there is still tracking of vials, doses given and how much shipped. If there is a large waste factor, I doubt a well administered program would allow more doses shipped than a pre-determeined acceptable loss. If that happens, the program isn't being properly managed.

#8 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-03 06:45 PM | Reply

"Also 15 million of 372 million administered is only 4%. Honestly that isn't too bad"

That was my thought too.

I was surprised "Jakester" didn't key on that, since he said a "large ratio."

Instead he leapt to defend the Red states against this perceived blight on their COVID-19 denying honor.

I guess that isn't too surprising after all.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-03 06:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

All the fake liberal posters here follow the same pattern.

Show up under a new username. Talk about how you're a liberal, democrat, whatever, but you're not an "extremist" as if democrats suffer from rampant extremism.

Start posting a few liberal things, then slowly start offering more and more "both sides" excuses, then within a couple weeks they can't resist and are openly parroting republican propaganda and defending every republican crime.

Then block anyone who points out that they're a fraud.

Continue to go insane, spout more and more angry hateful posts, get banned, get a new username and start over from step 1.

Why is it that repubs do this over and over and dems never have to pretend to be anyone but themselves?

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-09-03 07:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1