Sunday, September 05, 2021

Richard B. Spencer, the most infamous summer resident in this town, once boasted that he stood at the vanguard of a white nationalist movement emboldened by President Donald J. Trump. Things have changed.

Comments

"I have bumped into him, and he runs " that's actually a really good feeling," said Tanya Gersh, a real estate agent targeted in an antisemitic hate campaign that Andrew Anglin, the founder of the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website, unleashed in 2016 after Mr. Spencer's mother made online accusations against Ms. Gersh.

Leaders in Whitefish say Mr. Spencer, who once ran his National Policy Institute from his mother's $3 million summer house here, is now an outcast in this resort town in the Rocky Mountains, unable to get a table at many of its restaurants. His organization has dissolved. Meanwhile, his wife has divorced him, and he is facing trial next month in Charlottesville, Va., over his role in the deadly 2017 neo-Nazi march there, but says he cannot afford a lawyer.

The turn of events is no accident. Whitefish, a mostly liberal, affluent community nestled in a county that voted for Mr. Trump in 2016 and 2020, rose up and struck back. Residents who joined with state officials, human rights groups and synagogues say their bipartisan counteroffensive could hold lessons for others in an era of disinformation and intimidation, and in the wake of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

"The best way to respond to hate and cyberterrorism in your community is through solidarity," said Rabbi Francine Green Roston of the Glacier Jewish Community/B'nai Shalom, who now lectures other groups on how to ward off hate campaigns like the one Whitefish endured. "Another big principle is to take threats seriously, and prepare for the worst."

Mayor John Muhlfeld agreed. "You have to act swiftly and decisively and come together as a community to tackle hate and make sure it doesn't infiltrate your town," he said.

Maybe the best way to fight local fires of hatred is to mobilize the community with social extinguishers. Certainly worth a try.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-09-05 10:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What a great story - and one that still shows standing up for what's right still has costs, even if you do win. Thank goodness they has the fortitude to stay with it and keep pressing on. This was/is a small town, though, and this kind of pressure and targeting is hard to imagine in larger locations. It all came together really well here, though.

Also makes me proud to be a long time SPLC member.

Thanks for the post, Tony.

#2 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

He can always move to Hayden, ID... it's only a couple hour drive.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-09-05 11:39 AM | Reply

By taking down facebook and fox news?

#4 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-09-05 01:56 PM | Reply

Speaksoftly is not far off the mark. We let these platforms spread lies and hatred 24/7/365 and we are getting just what you would expect from it. I quit Facebook and I never watch Fox News. I won't even eat in a restaurant if they have it on the TVs in the dining area. I would not tolerate it being viewed in my home.

I discovered something yesterday and I am still upset by it. My youngest grandson, who just turned 13, is not vaccinated for COVID and his father's reasons for that are clearly right wing lies spread by right wing news. He says the vaccine changes the child's DNA. I looked it up, that is utter nonsense. He said, the vaccines don't work. I asked them then why are 90% of the people hospitalized with COVID unvaccinated? Why aren't us vaccinated people having to enter hospitals?
Well that conversation didn't go well. I didn't tell him what I actually thought but I am going to give him something I printed off the internet yesterday which is about debunking the myths about the vaccines.
Then, I got another shock. My older grandson, who is 23, is also not vaccinated. I have been waiting for him to return my call and I am doubtful that he will because, I'm pretty sure, that the father of the younger one probably already called him and told him what I think in regards to vaccinations.

I've discussed this with some of my family and unifersally they all agree with me. I even have one brother who got himself vaccinated without telling his wife. This COVID is dividing families and it is all because of right wing news peddling disinformation to millions and, somehow, we should have a way to stop it. People are literally dying, even famous people, because they listened to liars on right wing TV and radio.

Lately, I've been calling them Nazis and lately I am becoming more and more convinced that is exactly what they are.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-05 02:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Danni, if it's any consolation, the chances of a 13 year old dying of Covid are extremely small.

On another note, one should not interfere with others' family affairs. I have some issues with the way my kids are raising their own kids, but it's not my business. If I didn't and I told them they should do this or do that, we would not enjoy the strong familial bonds and love that we do.

You admitted the covid issue is dividing families. It's only dividing families whose members don't mind their own business. You aren't going to change anyone's mind. So why try and risk alienating the ones you love?

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 02:31 PM | Reply

Danni was clear what's dividing families and why. Had to go out of your way to blame her, though, and tell her how she should handle things. You deliberately (if I'm generous, unconsciously) provoke. You wonder why many of use view your comments with derision? Numbrer six above is a good example.

You minimize her concern.
You go to the most extreme outcome, death, ignoring all the other repercussions.
You tell her "one should not interfere" as if she needs your advice.
You then talk about how you're the example of how, if Danni would behave, how she could have your 'bonds' that are so strong.
You misinterpreted her statement on COVID dividing families.
You tell her again to mind her own business, advice you drew from your own wrong understanding of what she said.
etc.

#7 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 02:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

I won't respond to you past this on this matter.
If you want to talk about the actual thread and not you, or how great you are, or how others should be like you, then fine.
Discuss.

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 02:41 PM | Reply

Thank you, troll. I would think you were being sincere, but you are never that critical with anyone else. Also you failed to recognize I did give her some consolation.

Spare me your faux outrage, obsessed one.

And I am 100% correct. People should not interfere in another family's affiars, unless they are asked to of course.

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 02:43 PM | Reply

"On another note, one should not interfere with others' family affairs"

^
Now, hold my beer while I tell pther people how to manage their own family relationships!

Such a petulant, self-righteous scold.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-05 02:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

He just said he was 100% correct, what the hell else do you want Snoofy?

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-05 02:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"I won't respond to you past this on this matter."

I truly and honestly appreciate that, but it would be better if you took it a step further and stop obsessing with me altogether. Can you do that, please? As I said, I have NEVER said anything to you without it being a reply, yet the last few weeks you have made countless gratuitous posts about me with zero provocation or input from me. Can you please stop that obsessive behavior?

#12 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 02:47 PM | Reply

www.google.com

You'll have to paste that in your address bar.

Get Google Jakester and find reality. The rarity of death isn't a consolation and the thought that he is being taught to believe right wing nonsense is very upsetting. I had a moment in time when I could have taken custody but I didn't because his father does love him but, now, I am starting to think I should have. Endangering a child's life unnecessarily is child abuse in my opinion. Of course though, right wing media encourages that garbage. They honestly do have blood on their hands.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-05 02:48 PM | Reply

"Such a petulant, self-righteous scold."

Yes, people who interfere in another family's affairs and tell them what they should do are exactly that. That's why I avoid it.

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 02:49 PM | Reply

"On another note, one should not interfere with others' family affairs. "

And, I haven't because I agree with you on that but tell that to the Nazis in Texas who want to give you a $10,000 prize if you can report on a neighbor who might try to get an abortion. Doesn't even have to be a neighbor, doesn't even have to be a resident of Texas. They don't need to know the person they are accusing at all. And there are Nazis who will do it because hey, $10,000 is $10,000.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-05 02:53 PM | Reply

All Trump supporters should be treated like pariahs.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-09-05 02:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Jakeman, well sure I'll turn in my neighbor but family is different.

#17 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-05 02:55 PM | Reply

"If you want to talk about the actual thread and not you..."

I don't want to talk about me. But I can name several people here, including you yav, who love talking about me and can't seem to stop. I think only snoofy has you beat. I took a peek and he has posts talking about me at least 12-15 times a day. If you don't want people talking about me, tell them. In fact, I'd buy you a beer if you could quell their obsessions they have of me.

#18 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 02:57 PM | Reply

" I haven't because I agree with you on that"

Then I apologize to you, Danni. I misconstrued you post thinking you were telling your son how to manage his covid related affairs. I'm sorry.

#19 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 02:59 PM | Reply

If you think yav is a troll you're probably just butthurt.

#20 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-09-05 03:00 PM | Reply

He's also a troll and an idiot.

#21 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-09-05 03:02 PM | Reply

"If you think yav is a troll you're probably just butthurt."

Is "obsessed" a more accurate word for someone who continually and gratuitously brings up another poster without him saying a word to him or provoking him? Is that better than "troll" alexandrite?

#22 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 03:05 PM | Reply

Rent free is awesome.

#23 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 03:13 PM | Reply

#23 - not really. I've been living rent free in your head for weeks as evidenced by your gratuitous posts, including this most recent one. It's quit empty in there. But one gets what they pay for, right?

#24 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 03:16 PM | Reply

#23 - you just can't stop, can you. Back to the killfiles. You may continue your weeks long obsession without my continuing to call you out for it.

(to you-know-who: I told you so)

Bye, Yav! Happy obsession!

#25 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 03:19 PM | Reply

Finally. That took way too long.

#26 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 03:20 PM | Reply

I don't much tell others how to live their lives but that doesn't stop me from having opinions about it and, when it comes to my grandson, I do think my opinion will be expressed often and loudly.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-05 03:26 PM | Reply

#27 - I understand. I feel my daughter in law feeds my grandkids a horrible diet and that bothers me a lot. But I can't change that, so I won't cause discord by trying. My son in law is horrible at managing money. They buy a new car every year, smoke, but they are always broke. But I bite my tongue. I'll admit, however, if they came to me wanting a loan I wouldn't give it without a promise in a change in their spending habits. But that would be a quid pro quo, not unsolicited advice and it would be to help ensure the payback of the loan.

#28 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 03:32 PM | Reply

#27 -but again, Danni, take some solace that if your grandson does catch Covid, the chances of him being symptomatic are slim, and the chances of him dying are even more slim. I'm. pretty sure my asympomatic grandkids gave me the 'rona a year ago last March just as the pandemic was kicking in. Their mom said they had the sniffles for a few days, but had no idea they had it. But from them was the only place I ould have caught it. So yeah, kids are at a very low risk.

#29 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 03:36 PM | Reply

-I'm pretty sure, that the father of the younger one probably already called him and told him what I think in regards to vaccinations.

I doubt he needed the phone call to know what you think about vaccinations. You strike me as a pretty transparent person.

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2021-09-05 03:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You strike me as a pretty transparent person.

Unlike Jakesoff, who has been lying about who and what he is since he came back.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-09-05 03:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Tangentially related...

NFL returns social justice helmet decals, end zone stencils
apnews.com

...NFL players can wear social justice messages on their helmets again this season and "It Takes All of Us" and "End Racism" will be stenciled in end zones for the second straight year as part of the league's Inspire Change platform.

The league will also bring back the "Say Their Stories" initiative and for the first time, each team will highlight its social justice work during a regular-season home game in Weeks 17 and 18.

"We are committed to Inspire Change and the social justice work that inspires change for the long-term," Anna Isaacson, NFL senior vice president of social responsibility, told The Associated Press.

The six messages players can choose from as part of the helmet decal program are: "End Racism," "Stop Hate," "It Takes All of Us," "Black Lives Matter," "Inspire Change" and "Say Their Stories."

The end zone stencils will be placed on field for all clubs in all home games, except when another cause is being recognized. For example, during a club's Salute to Service game, "End Racism" will be replaced with "Salute To Service" in one end zone and "It Takes All of Us" will remain on the opposite side.

This year's "Say Their Stories" features will again be voiced by NFL players but will evolve to include social justice heroes who have been personally identified by players for their impact in this area, particularly those from their local communities.

For the final two weeks of the regular season, all clubs will receive the relevant banners, goal post wraps, stencils, helmet decals and video board graphics. The elements will continue to be featured during playoff games.

"That will provide a unified time frame for us to further amplify all of the work that our clubs are doing and that will lead into the playoffs where Inspire Change will continue to take center stage," Isaacson said. "The key message for us as the season is starting, we are ramping up again in a big way with our social justice work."...

#32 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-05 04:11 PM | Reply

"I think only snoofy has you beat. I took a peek and he has posts talking about me at least 12-15 times a day."

I have been Schrodinger's plonked.
LOL

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-05 05:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 02:31 PM | Reply

Stupid comment. It's dividing families because those of us who are vaxxed don't want to be around the unvaxxed, and we don't want those morons around our kids and elderly loved ones. We SHOULD know if a family member is vaxxed so that we can make an informed decision whether to spend time with them. The fact is that people who believe if science and facts are having a far harder time than ever dealing with willfully ignorant idiots who get their "news" from FB and Faux Noise, outlets that have basically become clearinghouses for lies and disinformation, much of it coming from hostile nations (Russia) who wish harm to our nation.

#34 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-09-05 05:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

GUNSLINGER @ #34

"We SHOULD know if a family member is vaxxed so that we can make an informed decision whether to spend time with them."

Agreed! There are certain things in life that automatically become "my business" and that's one of them.

And I don't need anyone else to make that decision for me. Family or otherwise.

Also, it isn't necessary to be a hardnose about it. I can think of a dozen ways to handle such a situation politely with out alienating anybody.

#35 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-05 09:36 PM | Reply

Tony, Good Post and an interesting article. Too bad the discussion went off the rails.

#36 | Posted by mattm at 2021-09-06 12:16 PM | Reply

It's funny how Goatster's favorite insult seems to be "troll". Such a projectionist.

#37 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-09-06 02:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's a pretty safe bet that calling your adult child a moron,or a Nazi for not vaccinating is not likely to get them to listen to your superior wisdom. Reminding them that you could have taken custody of their children but didn't is another tactic unlikely to result in a successful conversation. I have convinced about a dozen family members to get vaccinated. I started by showing love and respect and listened to their viewpoints. Then I rationally discussed the matter and shared countering data and facts. Politics, name calling and personal attacks never became part of the discussion. It took a little time and patience, but they came out of their corners and viola , next thing you know I was helping them make an appointment at Publix.

#38 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-09-06 09:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 2