Sunday, September 05, 2021

Apparently song thief Roddenberry went to his grave upset about a Saturday Night Live sketch starring William Shatner making fun of trekkies.

Comments

Given the time period the SNL skit was done, it was a good example of parody.

Even an episode of the TV show The West Wing had a minor sub-plot about a Trekkie working in the West Wing.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-05 11:12 AM | Reply

It looks like Roddenberry got the last laugh, though. Star Trek has been one hell of a fran(fan?)chise!

#2 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 11:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's in the sewer now, yav.

Picard and discovery are terrible.

#3 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-09-05 11:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#3

I don't consider myself a Trekkie, just a person who enjoys the Sci-Fi genre from time to time.

I enjoyed the Trek TV shows, they were all above good, except maybe Enterprise. That one had a good theme song, but it was a bit, ummm, dull.

I thought the Trek Movies were OK-to-good.

Once the Trek series went to streaming-only a few years ago, the quality dropped significantly, and I lost interest in the franchise. It seemed the writers wanted to create different worlds, but didn't know what to do the worlds they created besides show off some cool special effects.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-05 11:29 AM | Reply

It's in the sewer now, yav.

Picard and discovery are terrible.

That's a shame to hear.

I've only seen the first season of Discovery, Alexandrite. I enjoyed it. I won't subscribe to streaming services, though, so I'm not following any of the series. All I know if that the spin-offs are still going on and on and the last original was shown summer of 1969! That's 52 years ago!

Also I thought that the SNL episode when Shatner "lost it" was awesome. I remember seeing it and laughing my ass off!

Oh -and THANK YOU, Star Trek, for providing the basis for Galaxie Quest!

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 11:39 AM | Reply

@#5 ... Thank you Gene Roddenberry for everything you've brought us in entertainment, hopes, dreams, and social exploration. ...

Agreed.

Thank-you Gene Roddenberry.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-05 11:47 AM | Reply

Back then televisions were made in America, just imagine how many sets had to be replaced after being kicked in after kirk kissed Ohura.

Great for the economy.

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-05 11:59 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

The original Star Trek varies from episode episode in terms of quality. An episode that approaches Twilight Zone levels of awesome can be followed Vine episode that borders on 1960s Batman levels of crap.

All in all it's harmless but certainly nothing 2 have your life revolve around.

www.youtube.com

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-05 12:03 PM | Reply

POW! BAM! WHAP!

#9 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-05 12:09 PM | Reply

I heard Gene Roddenberry speak at of all places a computer show in the Bay Area mid '80s. Bill Gates also spoke. Not to digress too much, but I remember Gates saying the new 386 processor was going to be the workhorse for PCs for the next ten years.

#10 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 12:40 PM | Reply

#3 Lower Decks is where it's at.

Or so I have heard. I have not watched anything more recent than a few episodes of Enterprise.

The Orville best captures the spirit of the original, in my opinion.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-05 12:43 PM | Reply

@#11

Orville was a good one.

It had a somewhat "didn't take itself fully seriously" aspect like the original Star Trek.

(I say "had" because I did not follow it to streaming-only after the first season.)

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-05 01:27 PM | Reply

"but I remember Gates saying the new 386 processor was going to be the workhorse for PCs for the next ten years."

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-05 01:50 PM | Reply

"The first 386 processor was produced in 1985. The last was produced in 2006. So, yeah."

It may have been still produced for other devices that needed computing power, but it wasn't the powerhouse for PCs for the next ten years as Gates said (and I quoted). The 486 came out in 1989 and supplanted the 386 as the PC microprocessor. Then the Pentium. in 1993. By then it had been years since a 386 was put in a PC.

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 01:56 PM | Reply

The amount of obsession some trekies display is only eclipsed by how easily butt hurt they get when jokes are made about their cult.

I'm glad JJ Abrams erased the fictional timeline they wasted so much thought on.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-06 10:04 PM | Reply

The Orville didn't go to streaming after season 1. Both 1 and 2 were on Fox. Season 3 wrapped shooting and will be on Hulu but isn't available yet.

#16 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-09-07 02:00 AM | Reply

It's in the sewer now, yav.

Picard and discovery are terrible.

#3 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-09-05 11:21 AM | Reply | Flag

Both have left behind the ability to create an episode based on a current social issue.

Nowadays it's all about action and explosions and crying.

Picard's writers painted themselves into a corner and took the lazy way out. Again that, while having a good premise, became predictable and boring.

The Orville best captures the spirit of the original, in my opinion.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-05 12:43 PM | Reply | Flag

I concur. The first two seasons had some good writing. I was disappointed when it went to streaming only.

#17 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-09-07 01:02 PM | Reply

Star Trek has always been clown sci-fi. Nothing of worth has ever come out of that over-acted crap-hole of TV cesspool excess.

#18 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-07 03:48 PM | Reply