Sunday, September 05, 2021

Five days after being hurt in a boxing ring in Canada, boxer Jeanette Zacarias Zapata has died.

Groupe Yvon Michel, the organizer of the Montreal event, announced on Thursday that Zapata, 18, died from injuries sustained in a fight with Marie-Pier Houle on Saturday night at IGA stadium.

Comments

I couldn't help but to think of Million Dollar Baby.

#1 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 07:34 PM | Reply

Esmerelda Villa Lobos: So what's it like to keel a man with your bare hands, Bootch?

Butch: Hand me one of those sigarettes and I'll tell you.

#2 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-05 07:35 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-06 12:58 AM | Reply

I find it surprising boxing is still a spectator sport.

Me too, boxing is for sissies. Cage matches are where it's at.

#4 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-06 01:10 AM | Reply

"I find it surprising that boxing is still a spectator sport. I think society has moved past modern gladiators for amusement." I

What do you think the NFL is? It is, as you say, gladiators, fighting each other for big dollars. I don't watch it, I don't watch college football either but I do watch soccer games. I do even watch NBA games.I just don't watch sports that cause deaths so often. I still like baseball though the Marlins suck.
I don't think I've ever seen a team that could blow 5 run leads and still lose the game so often.
I don't hate sports but I think I do hate American football and now boxing.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-06 03:21 AM | Reply

He was likely vaccinated. Must have had Covid.

#6 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-06 03:48 AM | Reply

He was likely vaccinated. Must have had Covid.

#7 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-06 03:48 AM | Reply

Like Oscar de la Hoya

#8 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-06 03:49 AM | Reply

Violence is a fun sport!/s I think we are animals for watching fights. Being human is not needing such dumb things to be entertained. There is a cost to everything and the cost should not be a person's life.

#9 | Posted by Brennnn at 2021-09-06 05:49 AM | Reply

If it wasn't fundamentally about the brutality, professional boxing would look a lot more like Olympic boxing.

#10 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-09-06 06:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-06 12:58 AM | Reply

There will always be a segment of society that takes pleasure in watching people suffer. Sacks and big hits in football, checking and fighting in hockey, MMA, boxing, wrestling, ripping kids from the arms of mothers and putting them in cages, etc.

Many people have moved on past the need for viceral entertainment, but a large segment of the population take a perverse pleasure in watching someone suffer.

#11 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-09-06 08:13 AM | Reply

I think we are animals for watching fights.

Most animals do not take pleasure in watching violence.

#12 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-09-06 08:16 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by jakester

So I guess since you are so enlightened, it should be banned?

In the light of the abortion debate, why is it everyone who thinks that because they dont like something, no one else should either? Do you think you are better than those who like boxing or football?

I know football really pisses off people who dont like it, because everyone else does and they know they cant get it banned, as they would love to do.

#13 | Posted by boaz at 2021-09-06 08:48 AM | Reply

Lighten up BOAZ

Jakester only said he's surprised. It's only one person's opinion, not a mandate to ban. He's not saying anybody is better or worse, just that it's not his taste. Frankly, I don't even consider boxing a sport because of the brutality and too many cases of brain damage from one punch too many, or worse yet, a number of punches too many leading to death.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-06 09:15 AM | Reply

I know football really pisses off people who dont like it

I don't like "football" because I find it boring as ----. It certainly doesn't piss me off... I just don't watch it.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-09-06 09:24 AM | Reply

#13 - thank you, Twinpac. I was about to write a similar post.

#16 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-06 09:42 AM | Reply

I used to watch boxing a bit on tv. When I went to a live event it was totally different. A punch to the head sent sweat flying across the room, the punches to the gut sounded loud.

That was enough for me.no more.

Football sucks because my team sucks.

#17 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-06 09:43 AM | Reply

There are many retired athletes of contact sports whose minds are addled. Mohammed Ali comes to mind (yes, I know he's dead now) Many retired football players show signs of brain damage from concussions on the field.

Then in the actual games. Who can forget the sickening compound fracture Joe Theisman suffered on live TV?

#18 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-06 09:52 AM | Reply

The ref should've stopped the fight sooner than he did, but that girl should not have even been in the ring.
She was totally outmatched and it seems like she was there just to further the career of the other boxer. Zapata had a record of 2 wins and 4 losses with 3 of those being knock outs and the last one just 3 months ago. There's no way her manager should have taken that fight.

#19 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-09-06 09:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Brains may have a protective case but they're not designed to be battered around.

I don't get macho women anyway. We're nurturers, not gladiators.

#20 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-06 10:09 AM | Reply

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I went to an AZ gym to watch Zara Foley prep for his fight with Mohammed Ali. During the sparring, with punches pulled, it was the grunting, groaning, that flying sweat you write about, grimaces through dental guards and blood. I can admire some of the style, as in Ali. But it remains a study in brutality with a gaggle of hopeless wannabes - who would never dream of being in that ring, not really - shouting like a mob of MAGAidiots baying at the moon. All in all, very weird.

#21 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-09-06 10:09 AM | Reply

" thank you, Twinpac. I was about to write a similar post."

#16 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

You're welcome. Boaz over reacted.

If you recall, I didn't attack you because you said Thomas Kinkade wasn't your taste in art.

I just figured comic book art is big business, too.

#22 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-06 10:15 AM | Reply

#19 = true. She should have never been in the ring. At only 18 years old, she was no match for a 31 year with vastly greater experience.

#23 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-06 10:32 AM | Reply

Reminds me of when Boom Boom Mancini killed that Korean boxer in the ring.

#24 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-06 05:51 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-09-06 09:24 AM | Reply

American football is a slow game.4 downs for 30 feet. players are 6 and half feet tall.Thats 27 ft if you just fall forward.Original 3 down is more fun to play and watch.

#25 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-09-06 07:35 PM | Reply

Duk Koo Kim, nearly 40 yrs ago (?!?).

#26 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-09-07 05:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Maybe I over reacted to Jakester, but I just know how liberals operate and I need to say, "not here". If you dont like it, leave it alone, dont watch it. Leave what I love alone.

#27 | Posted by boaz at 2021-09-07 07:31 AM | Reply

" Leave what I love alone."

What are you, seven years-old?

#28 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-09-07 07:45 AM | Reply

"But that's how it starts. People saying they "dont like something", then they start talking of brutality, and try to use it as a rational to ban it. "

Oh, man, I feel your pain, I really do. I mean, you look around and what do you see? Public executions? Gone. Bear-baiting? Gone. What is life for you, unless you can't revel in the pain of others? Huh?

#29 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-09-07 07:49 AM | Reply

Me too, boxing is for sissies. Cage matches are where it's at.

#4 | POSTED BY BRUCEAZ AT 2021-09-06 01:10 AM | FLAG:

In Japan they don't use a cage for MMA.

The knees and soccer kicks to the head on downed opponents make US rules look soft.

#30 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-07 09:36 AM | Reply

2 people fighting in an enclosure is as old as mankind.
Lion fighting in an arena has been outlawed.
Let's hope the PC police don't outlaw boxing.

#31 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-09-07 09:39 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY DOC_SARVIS AT 2021-09-06 06:00 AM | FLAG:

Is it? Floyd Mayweather is the highest grossing boxer ever, making upwards of a billion. He's the greatest defensive boxer of all time.

The Olympics this year in particular featured multiple knockouts.

Tyson was brutality personified, but grossed 35% less adjusted for inflation.

#32 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-07 09:40 AM | Reply

#34 - it's odd that animal fighting (-----, dogs, etc.) is outlawed, but pitting humans against each other isn't.

#33 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-07 09:41 AM | Reply

Ya know... I am so not into gratuitous violence I refuse to watch Mel Gibson films especially, the "Passion of the Christ" which from the descriptions I heard was a sadistic blood bath that left audiences feeling good about being Christian. Y'all are a funny bunch.

I get that people like to watch this stuff. If not in their heads then in the fields, on the screen, the stage, where ever. If there are people who want to earn their bread doing that then so be it. I prefer it be in a controlled environment where it doesn't randomly spill out in the streets like in gang warfare.

#34 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-09-07 10:21 AM | Reply

I just know how liberals operate...
#27 | POSTED BY BOAZ

No you don't. You have no idea. You are wrong about nearly everything.

#35 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-09-07 03:35 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2021-09-07 07:31 AM | FLAG: "LIBRULLLSSSS!!!"

-drink!

#36 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-07 03:51 PM | Reply

"Let's hope the PC police don't outlaw boxing."

#31 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE AT 2021-09-07 09:39 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

You likey some dudes in shorts banging on each other, doncha sport?

#37 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-07 03:52 PM | Reply

#33 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

Humans have "agency", junior. Animals do not.

#38 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-07 03:53 PM | Reply

#33 - it's funny that the word for fighting roosters got edited. The word spelled backwards skcoc. A few days ago I had another word removed: Rhymes with ripple, but starts with N.

#39 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-07 04:33 PM | Reply