Wednesday, September 08, 2021

A statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee was removed from its pedestal in Virginia's capital city Wednesday morning. The 21-foot-tall statue on Monument Avenue in Richmond was one of the largest remaining Confederate monuments in the U.S. -- and has long drawn protests as a symbol of racial injustice.

Comments

Lee was a primary reason why we didn't have a civil war that went 100 years.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-08 10:43 PM | Reply

#1 - that, and Sherman burning a path across the south.

#2 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-08 10:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I watched part of this and I felt so good. Deep in my soul. I have never liked seeing any of these statues or memorials.

Stone Mountain Georgia is still an abomination to me. I remember going there when I was younger with a bunch of friends and watching the grand tribute to Robert E. Lee, Davis, and Stonewall Jackson.

I remember the lasers painting their carved out features and then animating them, bringing them to life in a galloping horseback ride. The glory of the "Lost Cause." All to the soundtrack of Dixie and the Battle Hymn.

I never did that again.

#3 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-08 11:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I guess the next stage for the left is the burning of history books.

#4 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-09-08 11:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#3 - Weird you don't mention the part where R.E. Lee symbolically breaks his sword and the two halves morphing into the northern and the southern states and them combining to form the re-unified United States. Nor did you mention the museum there which clearly sides with the slaves and shows how wrong the south was with their failed ideology. How disingenuous of you. But YEAH! You never did THAT again. Aren't you ------- special?

Actually, it's not weird. Haters see what they want to see and disregard the rest as you plainly just told us.

I guess you forgot those parts, right yav? Here's a reminder for you. It shows what you described -- the lasers animating the Lee -- and it shows the part your conveniently left out which was the message of unification and hope.

Haters will be haters and tell only part of the story. Always.

www.youtube.com

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-08 11:44 PM | Reply

Melt it down and make Obama peace coins out of them.
Hand em out to the MAGA rubes.

#6 | Posted by a_monson at 2021-09-08 11:47 PM | Reply

defending the south!

Next up on: "---- liberals don't ever do, classical or otherwise"

#7 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-09-08 11:59 PM | Reply

#7 - how is telling the entire story "defending the south", troll?

#8 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-09 12:14 AM | Reply

Why does the truth trigger progressives?

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-09 12:28 AM | Reply

Why does removing symbols of the confederacy make "classical liberals" butthurt?

#10 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-09-09 12:30 AM | Reply

#9 birth of a nation ain't the truth

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-09 12:33 AM | Reply

#10 I think it's a slippery slope issue. A few years ago when this push began many said that it would move toward removing statues of the founders because many were slave holders. It was pooh-poohed at the time but it absolutely happened. In the absurdity of last summer statues of civil rights icons were vandalized and torn down without much condemnation.

#12 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-09 12:33 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

#2 Yup, Sherman knew how to win wars. He put his boots to the slavers and made them howl.

#13 | Posted by bored at 2021-09-09 12:51 AM | Reply

They should replace it with a statue of John Brown.

#14 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-09-09 01:37 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#5 | POSTED BY JAKESTER AT 2021-09-08 11:44 PM | FLAG:

Looks like "Jakester" looked up the show at Stone Mountain and then regurgitated a bunch of rationalization of it from that, and not from personal experience. He sure seems to have every last detail of a show all laid out. When did you see it, Jakester?

The show has changed over the years from what I've read. I haven't been back. I don't need to see these three traitors carved out and idolized on the side of a big granite rock.

I wonder why Jakester is working so hard to rationalize and defend this at all?

Jakester. I don't care about the sword getting broken and the states coming together at the end. I don't remember that from the show I saw, but then again I was over the entire thing halfway through. It doesn't matter. The show was way too much romanticizing of The South's "Lost Cause" and their righteous battle against Northern Aggression, all with the audience cheering.

I don't recall a museum at the time I was there, either, but why would I bother? Just to immerse myself in a White-washed self-indulgent rationalization of the Confederacy? Even today we have people wanting to teach that Slaves were well cared for and happy, and removing "slave trade" from our history books. Dumbass racist apologists that made up the Texas School Board, for instance.

#15 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-09 07:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

There may come a time when Lee is remembered for something more than being a traitor, but that day isn't here, it isn't now. Goodbye and good riddance.

#16 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-09-09 08:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I guess the next stage for the left is the burning of history books.

#4 | POSTED BY MSGT

If they are the "history" books from Texas then sure.

#17 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-09-09 08:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Anybody fighting against the United States should not have a statue in the United States.
Confederates were traitors, then and now.

And there is a gigantic difference between books telling history and glorification of traitors with statues.

#18 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-09-09 09:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Confederates were traitors, then and now.

#18 | POSTED BY 503JC69 AT 2021-09-09 09:22 AM | FLAG:

This is why historians have issue with simplified revisionism, because history is always far more complex on a case by case basis. Lee is an easy one to pull. However, there is a statue of Joseph Wheeler in the Capitol right now. National Statuary Hall Collection. His story is US army Lt, then Confederate officer that rose through the ranks. After that he became a... US Army General, activated to invade Cuba. Once under fire he got so excited he yelled to his troops that they had the Yankees (spanish) on the run. He was also a post-civil war member of the US House.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-09 10:19 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Don't see why he'd have a statue to him. What for, exactly? Send it to his relatives.

#20 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-09 12:03 PM | Reply

"Nor did you mention the museum there which clearly sides with the slaves and shows how wrong the south was with their failed ideology. "

Don't worry loser.

Your loser statue will end up in that very museum someday (where it belongs) where you can get a job telling the story of how the south lost.

America! What a country.

Where even a loser like you can get lucky sometimes!

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-09-09 12:35 PM | Reply

I guess the next stage for the left is the burning of history books.

#4 | POSTED BY MSGT

Of course, that is exactly what a Nazi would assume.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-09-09 12:37 PM | Reply

Trumptidumped thinks that if Robert E. Lee were general in Afghanistan we would have won.

Someone needs to tell that orange pig that Lee lost... just as he did.

Maybe let the DRetort Cl0wnbrigade in on it too.

#23 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-09-09 10:43 PM | Reply

Here's the link www.newsweek.com

#24 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-09-09 10:44 PM | Reply

I didn't know anything about Christopher Columbus until I saw his statuez

The moment I saw it I thought, that's history right there!

- - boaz'z

#25 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-09-09 11:09 PM | Reply

If history is what you are really after I would recommend Appomattox,VA. It's a short drive from c'ville and the courthouse is much more informative than any statue erected to placate the butt hurt south. It's really good. Seriously

Appomattox also has a "confederate museum", that looks like a shack but is well stocked in every type confederate, (and now trump) paraphernalia imaginable, but not much "museum". Its a must see just so you can tell your friends you went to a freak show
And that's not all!
Drive another hour or so south on va 29 to Danville, Virginia and bask under the righteous shade of the biggest stars and bars you have ever seen. Danville for those of you who don't know, is the syphilis capital of the USA

#26 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-09-10 01:34 AM | Reply

in response to...

I guess the next stage for the left is the burning of history books.

#4 | POSTED BY MSGT AT 2021-09-08 11:39 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

I guess the next stage for the Rabid Reich is to follow another
Lost Cause [insert Donald Trump and chew vigorously].

#27 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-09-10 07:51 AM | Reply

I had to check to see if President Donald Trump was mentioned in this thread.. LOL
Yep jest as sure as a fat man ----.

#28 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-09-10 08:25 AM | Reply