Friday, September 10, 2021

Tressie Mcmillan Cottom: We are all grieving. But some of us are rushing into a collective denial of death and loss.

Comments

What is there to say to people who honestly and fervently believe that Covid is a test of our faith sent to us by God? Because I have met a handful of people who believe exactly that

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-09-10 10:57 PM | Reply

I would have to ask them if everyone who ever died of tuberculosis smallpox and polio had their Faith tested and were found to be less than Christian.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-10 11:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Drama queens. Not every bad thing is a test. This is a world in which bad things happen.

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-10 11:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In the story, Satan takes Jesus to the top of the Temple Mount and tells him he should jump off because God won't let any harm come to him. Jesus says, "F-off, dude!"... no wait, he quotes scripture and says, "You shall not test God".

Faith over fear, or "have courage!" as Jesus often said, is a fine thing. But putting yourself in harm's way intentionally to test whether you are protected is a really bad idea.

Whether one believes the story or not, some of those who profess to prolly don't even know the story.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2021-09-11 12:49 AM | Reply

My granddaughter was asking me about God, but as an atheist I didn't want to bash her curiosity. So I kind of put god as a deity that Some people think exists. I steered her away from a god that performs miracles etc. But as a symbol of faith. These poor fools who think that there is going to be some kind of celestial intervention are endangering themselves and the people that rely on them. If there was a Jesus he probably would have gotten the vaccine.

#5 | Posted by Badcat at 2021-09-11 03:56 AM | Reply

My granddaughter was asking me about god, but as an atheist I didn't want to bash her curiosity. So I kind of put god as a deity that some people think exists. I steered her away from a god that performs miracles, etc. But as a symbol of faith. These poor fools who think that there is going to be some kind of celestial intervention are endangering themselves and the people that rely on them. If there was a Jesus he probably would have gotten the vaccine.

#6 | Posted by Badcat at 2021-09-11 03:58 AM | Reply

" If there was a Jesus he probably would have gotten the vaccine."

Of course he would have. A needle in the arm couldn't have been near as bad as a nail through the hands. He also would have helped the world by turning water into Comirnat.

Seriously, though -- if Jesus could have cured cripples, lepers, and the blind does he really need a vaccine? IT sounds like he was an awesome doctor.

#7 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-11 07:54 AM | Reply