Saturday, September 11, 2021

When Bobby McIlvaine died on September 11, 2001, his desk at home was a study in plate tectonics, coated in shifting piles of leather-bound diaries and yellow legal pads. He'd kept the diaries since he was a teenager, and they were filled with the usual diary things -- longings, observations, frustrations -- while the legal pads were marbled with more variety: aphoristic musings, quotes that spoke to him, stabs at fiction.

Comments

www.wbur.org

#1 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-09-11 03:13 PM | Reply

This was uncomfortable to read.

But I did like the following part:
They deserve more than I can ever give them, and yet they will never ask for more than me," Bobby wrote in his diary, of his parents. "I love them so much."

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-11 05:17 PM | Reply

Great story. I knew a kid from HS wrestling that died in the twin towers. I hope his parents managed to get through the pain ok.

#3 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-09-11 10:06 PM | Reply

Our (Sony) Oracle rep was Todd Beamer

www.dba-oracle.com

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-11 10:49 PM | Reply

Our (Sony) Oracle rep was Todd Beamer
www.dba-oracle.com #4 | POSTED BY LEGALLYYOURDEAD

Another great profile, thanks for sharing.
(I saw "advanced SQL training advertised in the sidebar and had a flashback to learning inner/outer joins - far from my favorite topic)

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-12 09:11 AM | Reply

I just read this transcript. Choked me up. No words. Just respect:

Todd Beamer's 911 United 93 transcript:

twitter.com

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-09-12 10:10 AM | Reply

Bush got it right in his tribute to Beamer and the others on that flight:

Twenty years ago, terrorists chose a random group of Americans, on a routine flight, to be collateral damage in a spectacular act of terror. The 33 passengers and 7 crew of Flight 93 could have been any group of citizens selected by fate. In a sense, they stood in for us all.

The terrorists soon discovered that a random group of Americans is an exceptional group of people. Facing an impossible circumstance, they comforted their loved ones by phone, braced each other for action, and defeated the designs of evil.

These Americans were brave, strong, and united in ways that shocked the terrorists -- but should not surprise any of us. This is the nation we know. And whenever we need hope and inspiration, we can look to the skies and remember.

www.cnn.com