Sunday, September 12, 2021

The technical name of the waves is ASKAP J173608.2-321635 . Scientists have not yet been able to know what it could be. The signal has been detected six times between January and September 2020, then reappeared until February 7 of this year.

Comments

This is too important. We need to concentrate on Trump x10.

I'm going with half of Americans secretly being Nazi's because all white babies are born racist.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-09-11 11:36 PM | Reply

I'm going with half of Americans secretly being Nazi's

#1 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

They'll be Nazis immediately after Trump tells them they are. The shift in labelling will be seamless.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-09-12 07:47 AM | Reply

And now for something completely different: No Trump reference!

FRBs were first noted in 2007. This sounds like it could be one although the article does not indicate its duration. My guess is a spinning pulsar aimed at earth.

#3 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-12 04:31 PM | Reply

Wouldn't it be funny if this were actually border radio:

Anywhere, y'all
Everywhere, y'all
I heard it, I heard it
I heard it on the X
-I head it on the X, ZZ Top

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2021-09-12 08:13 PM | Reply

#4 - funny

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-12 08:21 PM | Reply

#4 -

I'll tell you 'bout Texas Radio and the big beat.
Soft driven, slow and mad, like some new language.

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-12 08:26 PM | Reply

"The signal is unknown, several types of stars have been ruled out. But it does share some properties with the Galactic Center Radio Transients (GCRT), another mysterious signal discovered in 2000, which is also emitted from the center of the Milky Way."

I wonder if one of the stars ruled out was the pulsar.

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-12 10:08 PM | Reply

#7 - that was my speculation upthread as well.

#8 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-12 10:12 PM | Reply

Since the signal, whatever it is, could be as much as 25,000 years old, I doubt it has much to do with any current political situation with the citizens of this far off and common as dirt planet.

#9 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2021-09-13 10:58 AM | Reply

Obviously it is some sort of pulsar. The fact that it is a new, and as of yet, unexplained type is what makes it cool. Anyone who is thinking this may be some type of signal sent by a sentient race from another solar system does not understand the very basic science involved.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-09-13 12:10 PM | Reply

Those could be radio transmissions from 25000 years ago saying "We are dying, our world is almost dead"..

#11 | Posted by boaz at 2021-09-13 01:01 PM | Reply

"We are dying, our world is almost dead"..
#11 | POSTED BY BOAZ

I swear I've heard of a sci-fi narrative based on that. Any idea?

Rescue Party by Arthur C. Clark is kinda similar, but in reverse.

#12 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-13 09:30 PM | Reply

docs.google.com

#13 | Posted by willowby at 2021-09-13 10:45 PM | Reply

It's spam, don't answer.

#14 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-13 10:55 PM | Reply

It's Isaac Asimov's short story "The last question", bruce.

#15 | Posted by willowby at 2021-09-13 11:03 PM | Reply

#15 - that is one of the best short stories I have ever read.

Up there with it are ACC's The Nine Billion Names of God and Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron

#16 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-13 11:06 PM | Reply

- Arthur C. Clark

I was really impressed with Rendezvous with Rama when it came out in '73.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2021-09-13 11:15 PM | Reply

We are calling you about your planets extended warranty.......

#18 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-09-14 01:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 1