Sunday, September 12, 2021

As Americans contemplate the prospect of a second winter trapped in the grip of Covid-19, remember that it didn't need to be this way. Right now, the list of the very sick and the dead is made up almost entirely of the unvaccinated. But as long as the virus continues to spread widely, it can and will evolve in ways that put everyone at risk.

Comments

As incursions on bodily autonomy go, this is pretty mild stuff. No one, the Times columnist David Brooks wrote in May, is being asked to storm the beaches of Iwo Jima.

Yet vaccine resisters carry on about violations of their freedom, ignoring the fact that they don't live in a bubble, and that their decision to stay unvaccinated infringes on everyone else's freedom - the freedom to move around the country, the freedom to visit safely with friends and family, the freedom to stay alive.

The Supreme Court made this point more than a century ago, when it upheld a fine against a Massachusetts man who refused to get the smallpox vaccine. In a majority opinion that echoes powerfully today, Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote, "Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

Refusers' hollow appeals to "freedom" are especially hard to take considering that Americans already accept countless restrictions in the name of safety: We are required to wear seatbelts, for example, and to get vaccinations to attend public school.

If 2020 was agonizing - watching millions of our fellow citizens get sick and hundreds of thousands die - a replay in 2021 is infuriating. Ingenuity and investment have produced a rare medical miracle that could end this brutal pandemic, and yet millions of Americans are thumbing their noses at it, forgetting that being part of a society means looking out for one another.

To those who are still holding out on getting a vaccine: Spare us the appeals to freedom. If you are fed up with masking and distancing and shutdowns and all the other intrusions of a global pandemic, show some patriotism and humanity and get the shot.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-09-11 10:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The pandemic is a permanent part of life because of the people who put thier political ideology ahead of their healtcare decisions. I am sick of these fools. I honestly wish I lived in California where the schools system is mandating vaccines and then my idiot son in law couldn't refuse to get my 13 year old grandson vaccinated. This issue is dividing families, mine included.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-12 08:15 AM | Reply

I'm starting to see this in a lot of my customers very much a just get vaccinated so we can get over this ---- attitude. Of course I probably encourage that when I show up at the door wearing a mask and they usually say something like thank you for wearing a mask to which I reply no problem, I thought we were done with this mess back in the spring but I guess some people never want it to end.

#3 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-09-12 09:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'll repost a salient comment from another thread that dovetails your comment:

[M]andates aren't just about government controlling lives; vaccines need widespread adoption to truly stomp out a virus like the coronavirus.
We mitigators keep compromising and sacrificing things in our own lives as the skeptics and non-vaccinated continue to fill public spaces and transmit more virus to even more people - including to many who're vaxxed.

I'm seriously fed up with these people. I want to live my own life again without the fear of losing it or having my health negatively altered just for traversing public spaces. I don't think that's too much to ask.

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-09-12 09:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

All US hospitals should pitch two tents in their parking lots, one for those seeking vaccines and one for those anti-vaxxers who are ill. Those seeking shots get one, and the sickies get an everything bagel smeared with pumpkin spice ivermectin, then those folks are urged to get out of the way of the folks who really deserve hospital beds ...

#5 | Posted by catdog at 2021-09-12 08:09 PM | Reply

Since Biden has been sworn in, the US has has 40.4% of its total cases and 37.4% of the total deaths. This is his record over roughly 8 months despite having 1.5 years of therapeutics and patient care protocol development and 3 effective vaccines. The 3 day moving average in cases/day is basically unchanged from 8 months prior and we will be entering the winter months, which led to a spike in cases last year. You can blame the unvaccinated but Biden is the president for ALL OF US, not just the vaccinated and his failures are obvious. Also, Biden owns 100% of the deaths related to Delta, Lambda, and now Mu variants as all of them developed outside of the US and Biden allowed them to penetrate the US. If Biden controlled the border, Delta would not be a thing in the US and that is a fact that liberals cannot change.

During the Trump presidency, liberals pointed to South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan as examples of how a competent leader handles covid. The prime reason why they were successful previously is that they controlled their borders so to not let in the virus. Biden has completely failed to do this and now Lambda and Mu are seeded throughout the US causing sickness, death, and evasion of vaccination efforts.

Donald Trump failed with covid by not immediately restricting travel but get a little leeway as this was unprecedented over the last 100 years. For Biden, he just witnessed the devastation and his ONLY response has been to vaccinate. Unfortunately, as Israel data proves, vaccination will not stop the virus. The only chance you have is to control your border and try to stomp out the existing strains with vaccination and social distancing. Either that, or you need to follow the example of Sweden (33% better results than US in terms of morality/pop and deaths basically down to zero) and just let the virus takes its course.

Continuing to do what we have been doing is the definition of insanity - it does not work and no country that has our policies (open border) has been successful in containing the virus.

Regardless of Biden's incompetent leadership, the American people have seemingly spoken. College football stadiums filled, NFL stadiums filled, in person school is the norm again. People have accepted the risk in exchange for normality putting the US on the 'Sweden Plan' regardless of what our politicians demand.

#6 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-12 10:29 PM | Reply

"and now Lambda and Mu are seeded throughout the US causing sickness, death, and evasion of vaccination efforts."

No small thanks to vaccination resisters.

Who do you give credit/blame for those?

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-09-12 11:08 PM | Reply

No small thanks to vaccination resisters.
Who do you give credit/blame for those?
#7 | POSTED BY DANFORTH"

Why would vaccine resistors have any blame for a variant that is 1.) vaccine resistant and 2.) developed outside of the US?

If you want to blame vaccine hesitant people in Peru for Lambda, I guess that is fair but it has nothing to do with the United States. You may be confusing computer viruses with covid and think the variants can spread electronically across countries. That is not the case. These variants require someone with that variant to travel from outside to US to the US. So, the logical way to stop this is to stop travel. Biden has refused to do so and the migrant caravans that continue to spill across the southern border and DHS subsequent re-location of migrants to the interior without a vaccination requirement or quarantine guarantees these variant strains from outside the US will become dominant strains within the US. Biden is to blame for all those deaths starting with Delta variant deaths. By the end of the year, his death toll will surpass Trump's failure despite the vaccines and therapeutics. That is a level of failure on par with malicious intent.

#8 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-12 11:34 PM | Reply

"I really want normal back and I'm beginning to resent the many unvaccinated people exercising their own freedom in public while stealing or compromising my own by their selfishness."

Are you vaccinated?

Then the only thing stopping you from "normal" is yourself and the politicians who represent you.

The vax appears effective. So get it.

Or accept the slight risk that you might die if you don't get it.

#9 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 03:14 AM | Reply

"I thought we were done with this mess back in the spring but I guess some people never want it to end."

Masks will be here for years. Maybe forever. At least in law.

Across the world, even in places where masks are required, I see fewer and fewer people wearing them.

Of course if you're traveling, you're probably not so terrified of COVID.

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 03:16 AM | Reply

"Masks will be here for years. Maybe forever.
#10 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER"

Looking at crowds for EPL, NFL, NCAA football, etc it seems no one cares about the masks anymore. At this point, it is like we have 2 worlds. One in which people bunker in their basements afraid of contagion, afraid of their neighbors, and afraid of interacting with humans face to face. In the others, life has more or less returned to normal for everyone under 65. Social events, no masks, mass gatherings all as before. When you have polarization in behavior to this extent, it is no different than 2 religions battling over how to live your life and pray to God. Given the death rates of bunker dwellers does not seem to differ from that of the 'return to normal' crowd, people need to pick the lifestyle that works for them and stop complaining about the other group.

As you said, the vaccines either work or they don't. If you believe in them, then stop whining about the unvaccinated as they are only a threat to the unvaccinated. If you don't believe in their efficacy, then why are you demanding that others get vaccinated? It is only the "vaccinated but still whining" group that has an illogical view on vaccination.

#11 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-13 03:57 AM | Reply

"Looking at crowds for EPL, NFL, NCAA football, etc it seems no one cares about the masks anymore."

Why would you care?

If you're vaccinated, you have a greater chance of dying of the seasonal flu.

I never felt bad about not wearing a mask prior to March 2020. It would seem odd for me to feel bad about it now.

#12 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 04:54 AM | Reply

"They would be racing to the nearest pharmacy"

Which many of us did. I've been fully vaccinated since April. It wasn't easy to get an appointment back then, and waiting lists were a thing.

Now all they have to do is walk into any pharmacy and ask, but instead they go to the ag co-op for horse paste.

#13 | Posted by DarkVader at 2021-09-13 08:47 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

It would seem odd for me to feel bad about it now.

#12 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Yes. It would be odd if you deplorables suddenly developed common sense.

But it could happen.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-09-13 09:41 AM | Reply

"Yes. It would be odd if you deplorables suddenly developed common sense. But it could happen."

It won't.

I could care less if you've suddenly realized that there dangers in the world.

Find your binky elsewhere.

#15 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 10:42 AM | Reply

suddenly realized that there dangers in the world.

#15 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

#16 | Posted by Zed at 2021-09-13 10:59 AM | Reply

Mad, your stupidity and ignorance has been repeatedly corrected.

Just STFU already.

#17 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-13 01:18 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Our national COVID problem summed up in one sentence. Well done.

#18 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-09-13 01:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Given the death rates of bunker dwellers does not seem to differ from that of the 'return to normal' crowd, people need to pick the lifestyle that works for them and stop complaining about the other group."

Utter nonsense and we've all read about various large groups such as weddings, sports events etc. where many people caught COVID but we don't hear about those who mostly stay home having nearly the percentage of people getting the virus.

"So long as I can do what I want to do, I don't care whether you're vaxxed or unvaxxed."

#19 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-13 03:01 PM | Reply

"This is a prime reason servicemen get PTSD. A door is opened into another aspect of reality."

That's actually a fair point.

A lot of people in combat become traumatized because of the horrific conditions they perceive around them.

I suppose it's fair to say that the condition that our friends JPW, Danni, and Danforth find themselves in is not that different.

It's a bit relatively though...I once knew a stripper who claimed PTSD from having chosen to be a stripper. I think that's much closer to what our buddy JPW is experiencing.

#20 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 03:06 PM | Reply

"Mad, your stupidity and ignorance has been repeatedly corrected."

This isn't something that can be corrected.

Your fear of living in a world of human interaction doesn't mean I or anyone else experience that same fear.

#21 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 03:08 PM | Reply

"Our national COVID problem summed up in one sentence."

Problem?

What's the problem?

#22 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 03:08 PM | Reply

"Except that as we are doing it now; i.e. pretending the pandemic is over, more people are dying now from COVID than a year ago. I don't know the latest number but I think I read somewhere that we have now passed the 600,000 number of deaths due to COVID. I am wondering, will we pass 1,000,000 before the end of the year?"

Unvaxxed people are dying.

So...why do you give a ----?

They chose it.

#23 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 03:10 PM | Reply

^

It's socially responsible and morally ethical

Because there are Americans who can't take the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons

#24 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-09-13 03:15 PM | Reply

In other words, you get vaccinated because you can, because there are other Americans who cant

Civic duty. A moral obligation, patriotism beyond just mouthing platitudes

Take your pick, "military" man

#25 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-09-13 03:19 PM | Reply

It's socially responsible and morally ethical
#24 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES

For what it's worth - I agree with you on this.

#26 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-13 03:22 PM | Reply

Alabama man dies after turned away from 43 hospitals packed with COVID patients, family says

WLS-TV
1 hour ago

#27 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-09-13 03:26 PM | Reply

This isn't something that can be corrected.

#21 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Another trite statement you've made repeatedly and were told was BS.

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-13 04:23 PM | Reply

Why would you care?

If you're vaccinated, you have a greater chance of dying of the seasonal flu.

Unless you are immunocompromised. So yeah as someone who is immunocompromised I don't really appreciate the know-nothing attitude of my fellow Americans who say "you've been vaccinated what do you care?" I'm not going to hide in a panic room, I haven't this whole time, but you know it would be freaking awesome if the tools who are avoiding the vaccine would consider both the groups who can't get the vaccine and those who can but don't enjoy the full benefits. God forbid that a so called conservative consider anyone other than themselves.

#29 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-09-13 04:41 PM | Reply

Problem?
What's the problem?

#22 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Apparently nothing that concerns you.

#30 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-09-13 04:41 PM | Reply

Another trite statement you've made repeatedly and were told was BS.

#28 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2021-09-13 04:23 PM

I hate that this has become political. When I decided whether or not to get vaccinated I weighed the positives and negatives. It was an easy decision based on best information available - I got vaccinated.

Sadly, it has become somewhat political and the ones pushing the message are part of Biden's team.

This is the same team that holds abortion sacrosanct under the auspices of 'my body, my choice' and 'doctor/patient privilege'. Those decades-old messages fly in the face of vaccine mandates.

People tend to notice such blatant hypocrisy. Biden and his team need to come up with an effective messaging strategy.

#31 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-13 04:42 PM | Reply

"Unvaxxed people are dying.

So...why do you give a ----?"

Because before they die, they take up hospital beds other people need.

#32 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-13 04:55 PM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

I don't see hypocrisy. On one hand we're talking about an infectious disease which affects others if we don't each do our part. The other is a medical condition between a woman and her doctor.

Kind of like we're all required to take polio vaccines to keep everyone safe from that horrible disease, but it's up to me and my doctor whether to replace my knee.

#33 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-09-13 05:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Abortions aren't contagious.

Try again.

#34 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-13 05:46 PM | Reply

I could care less if you've suddenly realized that there dangers in the world.

Find your binky elsewhere.

#15 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

How about you go find your "freedom" to be a moron elsewhere? I

I am not the one who "suddenly realized" the world is a dangerous place.

I have been getting out of bed for many years now. Successfully even! And I have managed to find my way back too!

So why do we even bother with vaccinations and seat belts and stop signs?

It's a dog eat dog world out there and you should be able to make it in your own without help from the government. And their stupid roads and stupid armies and stupid rules and such.

Go back to your island weirdo. The one where everyone gets to do whatever they please. Even if it harms someone else.

This is an interconnected society and you cannot just exist in it with your own rules. It is amazing to me that you folks think this is somehow something new. Because Trumpy made out like it was? Well it's not. How many vaccines have you already been "mandated" to take? And now you put your freedom foot down? Please.

It is a global pandemic. And everyone is sick of telling your that it is a public health emergency.

Time to grow up now myth bomber and take your medicine like a big boy. Maybe we can come up with some sugar cube vaccine someday. Just for you poor baby and your deplorable snowflake brethren. Too bad you can't just do your part like a good citizen ... especially when America needs you.

It makes one wonder who or what freakin side are you on anyway.

#35 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-09-13 05:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

At some point you have a responsibility to more than yourself. This is an unprecedented emergency that can kill or disable any of us. We have a civic duty to reduce the risk to ourselves and others by taking a few simple steps. It really is not a big sacrifice.

#36 | Posted by cbob at 2021-09-13 06:38 PM | Reply

Abortions aren't contagious.
Try again.

#34 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2021-09-13 05:46 PM

So, doctor/patient privilege goes away when someone is infectious? Does that include AIDS?

#37 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-13 07:05 PM | Reply

"So, doctor/patient privilege goes away when someone is infectious?"

Why not? Doctor/patient privilege goes away when someone is s threat to themselves or others.

#38 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-09-13 07:08 PM | Reply

Does that include AIDS?

Should something similar be the punishment for covid?

#39 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-09-13 07:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

As long as two-thirds or more of the deaths or are anti-vax MAGAts, I'm okay with that, just whittling down the minority numbers of white Rethugs more quickly.

#40 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-09-13 07:49 PM | Reply

As long as two-thirds or more of the deaths or are anti-vax MAGAts

#40 | POSTED BY _GUNSLINGER

Nine out of ten, isn't it?

#41 | Posted by Zed at 2021-09-13 07:55 PM | Reply

"Knowingly infecting another person with HIV is a felony offense punishable by 3 to 8 years in prison.
#39 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK"

Not in California where it is a misdemeanor.

#42 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-13 08:30 PM | Reply

"At some point you have a responsibility to more than yourself. This is an unprecedented emergency that can kill or disable any of us.
#36 | POSTED BY CBOB "

So you believe that vaccines don't work? Or are you talking in the sense at any of us could die from lightning strikes or shark attacks? If you are fully vaccinated, the data shows that unvaccinated people are no risk to you. If your argument is about variants, tell Biden to close the border before forcing people to take medicine they don't want.

#43 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-13 08:37 PM | Reply

#43 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

The significance of spread is far higher in states with low vaccination rates than it is in states over-run with undocumented immigrants.

#44 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-13 09:43 PM | Reply

Not in California where it is a misdemeanor.
#42 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

Just to be sure, the above is not an answer to CLOWNSHACK's question.

#45 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-13 09:43 PM | Reply

Biden and his team need to come up with an effective messaging strategy.
#31 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

42,111,797 cases and 679,777 deaths hasn't got the message across.
But somehow, Biden ought to be able to speak louder than 200 9/11's!

Since you are not vaccinated, just tell us:
What message from the government would change your tune?
If there isn't one, then what you're asking Biden to do is something you already know is impossible.

I have an idea, this is something that is possible:
Maybe you should go play in traffic.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-13 09:49 PM | Reply

#43 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL AT 2021-09-13 08:37 PM | FLAG:

Your response is boring and stupid. Just take the vaccine and shut up so we don't all die.

#47 | Posted by cbob at 2021-09-13 10:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Skeptical?

Imbecilic, more like.

#48 | Posted by Corky at 2021-09-13 10:22 PM | Reply

Not in California where it is a misdemeanor.
#42 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

What is your point? It used to be a felony.

California (being a very progressive state) recognized that "societal and medical understanding of HIV has greatly improved. Effective treatments dramatically lengthen and improve the quality of life for people living with HIV " treatments that also nearly eliminate the possibility of transmission." www.nbcnews.com

So they "modernized" that law based on conditions "on the ground".

It's called compassion.

If you knowingly infect someone with a deadly virus it obviously should be a felony especially if that person gets sick or worse. If you are skeptical of that you are obviously an anti social moron.

If a deadly virus is not as deadly anymore or becomes treatable or rendered less harmful it makes sense to reduce the penalties associated accordingly ... that's just common sense. Which apparently not so common anymore.

#49 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-09-14 02:54 AM | Reply

Almost 50% of breakthrough cases are in the immunocompromised despite them only being 3% of the population. So yes an unvaccinated person is still a risk to me. When I'm in the grocery store and Cletus is right in front of me unvaccinated and not wearing a mask that's a risk for me, one that is totally unnecessary given the ease and cost of getting a vaccine.

Why is this concept so freaking hard for you to understand?

#50 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-09-14 01:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2