Sunday, September 12, 2021

The benefits of ventilation reach far beyond the coronavirus. What if we stop taking colds and flus for granted, too?

Comments

In other words, "infrastructure."

#1 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-09-12 07:21 PM | Reply

Have another hit of fresh air.

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-12 07:31 PM | Reply

Used to be that buildings were designed.to allow for ventilation as a health measure.

Then we decided that breathing each other's air for 10 hours a day was a good idea.

#3 | Posted by censored at 2021-09-12 10:24 PM | Reply

#1 Have you... tried not breathing?

#4 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-09-13 12:12 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#4 - "Have you... tried not breathing?"

I have. I found out I am worse as a zombie.

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-13 12:29 AM | Reply

"If buildings are allowing respiratory viruses to spread by air, we should be able to redesign buildings to prevent that. We just have to reimagine how air flows through all the places we work, learn, play, and breathe."

Airplanes already do this. As soon as you exhale, the air is sucked upwards into medical-grade air filters.

As of January 2021, there were a total of 44 cases of COVID out of 1.2 billion commercial airlines passengers.

All the effectiveness of a mask, without all the inconvenience.

#6 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-09-13 11:00 AM | Reply

Looking forward to a new line of stim-paks
Maybe someday.

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-13 01:47 PM | Reply

"And here I was hoping for a cool mRNA vaccine which made one's lungs superhuman. "

Well ... We could use CRISPR to manipulate our dna to grow gills then we could return to the oceans where we came from!

Mother mother ocean. I have heard your call!

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-09-13 04:21 PM | Reply

I'm down for gills.

I've wanted to sail your waters since I was three feet tall.

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-09-13 04:45 PM | Reply

Among 1.2 billion travelers, IATA found only 44 published cases of potential inflight transmission. Most of those 44 cases occurred in the early days of the pandemic when masks were not required.

So masks work after all.

#10 | Posted by bored at 2021-09-13 05:46 PM | Reply