Monday, September 13, 2021

Ross Dellenger writes about his Aunt who died of Covid: I never wanted to be too pushy about it -- and now, boy, do I regret that -- but each time I saw her over the last six months, I reminded her that the tiny jab could prevent serious illness or death.

Comments

She died a free woman. Her personal Alamo.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2021-09-13 09:17 AM | Reply

ZED

I'd call both just plain suicide.

#2 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-13 09:26 AM | Reply

I remember one stubborn ol' cuss who got the shot. I told him if he didn't get that vaccine he wasn't going to live long enough to get back that money I owed him.

#3 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-13 09:39 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I know that if you push too hard it makes people dig in their heels. They believe what they believe. Sometimes you just have to give them a different reason."
They are
I disagree Twin. I think we just need to mandate vaccines and those that object should just be under house arrest with ankle bracelets to alert the autorities if they leave their homes. Either we get serious about ending the pandemic or we conceiously accept that ignorant science deniers get to rule our nation. I am honestly ust sick of the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers who, so often, end up in the ICU on a ventilator and thereby, due to their own irresponsiblity take the ICU unit that another patient needs. Selfishness is the sacrement of the Trump cult. They are simply despicable.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-13 10:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

My cousin just recently recovered from COVID. He is in his early 60's and he was sick for tw weeks and lost 25 pounds. His 69 year old friend was not as lucky. He got it at the same time and died. His father who is a physician begged him for 6 months to get the vaccine and he wouldn't take it. The writer should not beat themselves up over this. His Aunt knew the chance she was taking and decided to roll the dice.

#5 | Posted by danS at 2021-09-13 10:36 AM | Reply

COVID is chlorinating the gene pool.

#6 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-09-13 10:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."

Friedrich von Schiller

#7 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2021-09-13 11:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

" I never wanted to be too pushy about it -- and now, boy, do I regret that "

I so identify with that statement but I am standing by my demand that my grandson be vaccinated evwen though his idiot father prefers to listen to right wing lies. He quoted them when I spoke to him, such as that the vaccination would affect his DNA. The crazy coming from people who get their views from right wing media has no bounds. But, I am not willing to just silently accept their ignorant and insane decisions while I pray that the consequences of their ignorance will not descend on the lives of my grandchildren.
Quit encouraging people to resist vaccinations, would we have done that with the smallpox vaccinations, the polio vaccinations, etc. Realize, as an adult, that there would not be any controversy about vaccinations had the previous President not pretended that COVID was a minor threat and openly and honestly gotten his own vaccination publicly and proudly but that may have undermined his ideological point of view based on the concept that government can never do anything right.S
Tell that b**l s**t to the victims of Katrina or Andrew.
OMG! It's FEMA! Better run!

#8 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-13 11:47 AM | Reply

I honestly had a family member whose daughter contracted COVID recently saying that she then injested chloroquine as a cure but he doesn't like it when others say he is an ignorant ass. He didn't make sure his daughter was vaccinated but we aren't supposed to say he was irresponsible as a parent. That is basically the right's way of dealing with the criticisms of their total irresponsibility.
I actually heard the same person give me the argument that since the vaccination violated their ideology that was a reasonable reason to not get vaccinated. He didn't even realize how idiotic such a justification was. Then they wonder why we ridicule them and believe they are idiots.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-13 11:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The truth is: SCIENCE DICTATED BY IDEOLOGY IS NOT SCIENCE!

#10 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-13 11:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Then they wonder why we ridicule them and believe they are idiots.

#9 | POSTED BY DANNI A

I'm told that when we critique them they become even worse idiots, something I don't think is possible.

#11 | Posted by Zed at 2021-09-13 11:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

They don't want to be told what to do by libruls.

Bye.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2021-09-13 12:24 PM | Reply

ZED

"I'm told that when we critique them they become even worse idiot"

That's been my experience as well. Frankly, I'm at a loss. All I can do now is just back away from them socially and hope they get the message. If they ask, I'll be glad to tell them why.

Fortunately, most of the people I know have had two shots. It's some of the people who show up at town council meetings who are the biggest pains in the ass. I just don't want to be any where near them if they're not wearing a mask. That's one thing I make very clear the minute they walk up to me. All I say is "Whoa ~ back off. You're not wearing a mask. You have to stay away from me."

To me they're just social pariahs. There's too much information out there for anybody to remain so ignorant. As far as I'm concerned they have the right to kill themselves if they want to. They just don't have the right to take me with them.

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-13 01:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Just looked impressed at their bravery and hope the people who vote for these kind of leaders that would prevent pandemic countermeasures die before too long.

Let nature run her course on the dumb.
Free will, it's a bitch!

Get your shot, wear the masks and whenever possible avoid right wing nut jobs and you should be o.k.

#14 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-09-13 03:29 PM | Reply

Want to stop the pandemic in its tracks, and get folks to take the vaccine? Impose a death tax on all who die from Covid. Those on the Right will refuse to die and will do all they can to avoid paying this 'exit fee'. Problem solved. You're welcome, world...

#15 | Posted by catdog at 2021-09-13 06:03 PM | Reply

Just so you know, in my own personal drama about my grandson getting vaccinated....he father listened to my son....the boy has already had his first shot. Happy ending.

Twin, I appreciate your bravery considering those unmasked, inconsiderate jerks. I run into them all the time at Publix but, so far, I haven't hat the courage to speak as you do. I just remain silent but also won't talk to them or even acknowledge their presence. I know, that's kind of lame but it's the best I can do because, most of the time, I feel we are outnumbered here in Florida.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-14 09:31 AM | Reply

DANNI

I don't think of it as bravery.

I just warn off these jerks as politely and as diplomatically as I can and still get the message across. I've known some of these people for years and they know I mean what I say. I'm not their mother and I didn't take 'em to raise.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-09-14 08:19 PM | Reply