Friday, September 17, 2021

An unusual illness is on the rise in the United States, especially in states that have legalized marijuana. Habitual users of cannabis, including teenagers, are showing up in emergency rooms complaining of severe intestinal distress.

Comments

I had never heard of this. It is interesting. There is even a medical name for it. I wonder if it is something due to the mj itself, or some additive that the mj has been treated with. Also, does it only occur with certain strains of mj?

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-09-17 04:06 PM | Reply

I believe it is pesticide use.I know several people who never have it when they smoked my product but puke their guts out on some other producers product.

#2 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-09-17 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So that's what my doctor was trying to describe when I was in college.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-17 07:33 PM | Reply

I've never heard of anyone having this reaction to weed.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-17 07:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The worst thing that ever happened to me was when I took too big a hit on some super strong hybrid and passed out.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-09-17 07:45 PM | Reply

As the article said, weed has been used to quell nausea. But when you scarf down a bag of Doritos, a pound of M&Ms, an eclair with a pickle and mashed potatoes in the center, and a three day old tuna sandwich from the 7-11 because of the munchies, your gut it going to complain and purge itself.

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-17 07:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 1

I've seen a few cases of this. The irony is they believe the THC helps the nausea and continue to smoke it, perpetuating the problem.
Can also cause cachexia, so they continue to smoke it thinking it will stimulate their appetite. Paridoxical reactions.
Not related to pesticide use in any of the articles I have read. Scotty, wonder if your product is a more reasonable (lower) concentration. I've seen it when people are using high potency products.

#7 | Posted by mattm at 2021-09-17 09:31 PM | Reply

Vomiting forces blood to the brain.
Are they just too high?

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-17 09:34 PM | Reply

I've never seen nor heard of this happening. It's a very interesting phenomenon.

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-17 09:43 PM | Reply

I've read there's a segment of the population that are simply unable to consume THC, leading to this violent vomiting. Heard about it back in college, a couple people told me that was their reaction.

It hasn't been studied, that I know of, but considering the liberalization of pot laws/policies and the increase in consumption, academic journalism will more than likely take on this phenomenon.

Just glad I don't suffer from it.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-17 09:54 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by mattm
Look at this list of acceptable pesticide residue for the Canadian Market.I only grow when it's like -25c outside so the chance of pests etc are next to nil so zilch for pesticide/fungicide.In the black market bug bombs and konk are employed to deal with spider mites etc.

www.canada.ca

#11 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-09-17 10:54 PM | Reply

BS. but if you eat too much high potency you might ... or are new to it.

#12 | Posted by ichiro at 2021-09-17 11:06 PM | Reply

My guess is it is with the concentrates and edibles. If they have a high TCH to terp ratio it can kill appetite for some and sometimes cause nausea or conversely help control nausea. Sort of a non-munchie-inducing weed which isn't a new feature for some gangsta ganja varieties.

RSO-type products can give me a queasy feeling if I take too high a dosage. But they are great for my occasional arthritic inflammation when I have time off. Tobacco makes me queasier.

Honestly, some people smoke some strong $#!t and a lot of it so I am not at all surprised if they get swirly and wanna puke... a lot.

sigh.... kids with a new toy.

#13 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-09-17 11:08 PM | Reply

Some type of poison.

#14 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-09-18 12:31 AM | Reply

The only uncontrollable vomiting I have had was related to alcohol.

#15 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-09-18 01:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Some people search for extremes instead of the middle. (find the middle path)

#16 | Posted by Brennnn at 2021-09-18 04:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I had this happen to me when I made the switch from fairly strong Mexican Ditchweed at 6%THC to my first experience with a hybrid at 15%THC. Presently there is available THC oil at 90-97%THC. Do not try anything more complicated for your experiment than sitting in a comfy chair listening to Tangerine Dream or Pink Floyd. Attempting to do your calculus homework will be an exercise in futility. The super-wasted effect goes away in about an hour. Your brain has just experienced a ride with an infinite improbability drive!

#17 | Posted by john47 at 2021-09-18 08:06 AM | Reply

Sounds like they need to cut back on the weed. Some folks just don't know their limits.

#18 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-09-18 08:20 AM | Reply

People with low tolerance to cannabis should avoid the high thc strains and concentrates.... just like a non drinker like me should avoid tequila shots and start with a lite beer.
Know your limits!

#19 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-09-18 08:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Reefer madness level --------

#20 | Posted by qcp at 2021-09-18 09:12 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#19 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-09-18 08:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

Reefer madness level --------

#20 | Posted by qcp at 2021-09-18 09:12 AM

Dear QCP,

Never have I ever felt the urge to run down the hall and jump out the window! Has anybody besides me seen the colorized version? It is a hoot!

Best,

John47

#21 | Posted by john47 at 2021-09-18 10:27 AM | Reply

Cool!

Projectile Vomiting would come in handy at one of them there insurrectionist parties.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-09-18 01:03 PM | Reply

I've smoked a ton of weed and never barfed. Schlitz Malt Liquor, on the other hand...

#23 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-18 03:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Attempting to do your calculus homework will be an exercise in futility.

#17 | POSTED BY JOHN47 AT 2021-09-18 08:06 AM | FLAG:

Amateur.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-18 06:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Living in the Keys, knew quite a few stoners and never observed such, or heard them talk of any such thing.

#25 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-09-18 07:03 PM | Reply

As described in the article, hyperemisis canabis is a specific syndrome that is dose and time related. Occasional users, do not suffer from it. Some are more prone than other. Canabis is a psychoactive substance and there are a variety of reactions to it: + and -.
I don't react to peanuts when I eat them, yet I don't deny that peanut allergies occur.

#26 | Posted by mattm at 2021-09-18 10:34 PM | Reply

Never in all my years have I heard of someone having uncontrollable vomiting because of Weed.
I do know that everytime something like this does come up it is used as a cudgel to end the march to weed legality.
For adults just, like that dangerous substance that kills and causes the deaths of thousands, Alcohol.

#27 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2021-09-19 04:19 PM | Reply

I had a few beers I admit.
Was up in Flagstaff, high altitude. Ate a whole brownie. Went and ate a portebello and white sauce pizza. I felt like I was tripping.

I puked my guts out, it was wonderful.

Really, I was still having good time.

The good weed everyone is used to now only came once in a blue moon in my time.

#28 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-19 04:34 PM | Reply