Saturday, September 18, 2021

Google is looking to make its Chromecast streaming device more appealing to cord cutters. The company has plans to add free TV channels to Google TV, the Android-based smart TV platform that powers Chromecast as well as select smart TVs from companies including Sony and TCL, Protocol has learned.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

That approach mirrors the way TV makers like LG and Samsung have integrated free streaming channels into their platforms. For these TV makers, free channels have become an overnight success story. Samsung alone streams "billions of minutes" of linear programming via its TV Plus service every month, Samsung Electronics SVP Sang Kim told Protocol last year.

Comments

I like my gaggle of googles. Nest, Chromebox, Pixel phone.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-18 09:03 PM | Reply

Watch cable eventually bring an antitrust suit against 1+ tech companies.

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-18 10:45 PM | Reply

I don't get the appeal of all this. I absolutely detest it, honestly.
Can't skip commercials, can't' DVR, but some things you can, for so long, others no, This costs $ while this service costs $$, and you want no commercials, then it's $$$, add it all up and what's the point?

Then you have all the different interfaces, apps, go here, do this, oh that doesn't work with this streaming service.

And the streaming services all competing take their best programming off the traditional providers and move it to their streaming platform.

#3 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-18 11:09 PM | Reply

I've lost interest in so many shows, and new ones I don't care if I ever see. F**k 'em. #3 | Posted by YAV

You should watch Lost.
/s

#4 | Posted by censored at 2021-09-19 07:06 AM | Reply

#4 - I have managed never to have watched a single episode of Lost I am proud to say.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-09-19 11:55 AM | Reply

...And get off his damn lawn too!!!

#6 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-09-20 11:59 AM | Reply