Monday, September 20, 2021

Samuel Adams is launching a new, limited edition beer, and it packs such a potent punch it's illegal in 15 states.

Comments

28% beer are they using that GMO yeast that can withstand high concentrations of alcohol?

(Tell us you didn't read the article without saying you didn't read the article, Snoofy.)

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-19 08:43 PM | Reply

I honestly have zero interest in this beer.

I had some maple bourbon barrel stout ---- from SA once. It was terrible. Cloying, thick and way overly maple. I think I dumped half the bottle.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-19 10:10 PM | Reply

JPW, not that you'll find it locally, but this was one of those kinds of beers. Except I'd give it four out of five. It should be a three but it's so unique the get one more. untappd.com

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-19 10:28 PM | Reply

some batches have been aged for up to 24 years in a variety of barrels.

Barrel aged beer always comes out tasting too smokey or wooden for how I prefer my beers to taste. Even for when I want to try a unique one-off beer, I can't get past or enjoy the smoked wood taste.

Had one last weekend while at a brewery and was reminded that barrel aged brews still don't fit with me.

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-19 10:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I like the input. I saw one of these on sale a few years back and didn't bite. I like nice red wines but it seemed to me that this is a little overwrought. But I admire the idea.

#5 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-20 01:56 AM | Reply

Not worth the price. Not worth the hangover.

I'm telling you, these barley wines are not enjoyable.

Been there, done that. Sorry, there's plenty of double IPAs that taste incredible and won't weigh on your pocket book like an overpriced champagne that will be far more enjoyable than Sam Adams's latest attempt at a splash in the social media sphere.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-20 02:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#1 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-09-19 08:43 PM | FLAG:

It's not GMO, it is a strain called WLP099. Create a healthy starter culture with a high cell count, then ferment at 65F while slowly feeding it sugar for 2 weeks.

Impossible Foods uses a GMO yeast. That was a blindingly fast pivot for celebrity culture. GMO was bad until celebrities invested in IF.

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-20 08:18 AM | Reply

and at this point you can't be a micro or nano brewery without a massive lineup of fruited sours with wildly inaccurate ABV listings, and an experimental seltzer that just ends up tasting like grape.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-20 08:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

@#6 ... This is Sam Adams attempting to remain relevant within the micro-brew arena. And they're failing. ...

I had a similar thought as I read the article.

(their hard-seltzer business caved, so they need something....)

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-20 10:44 AM | Reply

Hmm. I should try that yeast. I'm not really interested in getting to 28%, I'm just curious to see what it would do with a mead. I usually go for a sweet mead that finishes about 18% with champagne yeast, this might push it a little bit higher.

#10 | Posted by DarkVader at 2021-09-20 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Well the headlines piqued my interest right away. I wanted to try it, until I saw the price tag. At $240 bucks for a 25.4 ounce bottle, my mouth dropped.

Nope. Robin Leach needs to be their pitchman. This is for "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" crowd.

#11 | Posted by shane at 2021-09-20 10:54 AM | Reply

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA is a hell of a lot cheaper and finishes out in the 15-20% range.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-20 10:57 AM | Reply

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-20 10:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

Sam Adams is decent beer. I like their Oktoberfest. But this stuff, I don't know. Any beer that costs $240 can kiss my Aass*. Sounds like a gimmick.

(*Aass is a fine Norwegian beer.)

#13 | Posted by cbob at 2021-09-20 06:47 PM | Reply

@#13 ... Everything Dogfish Head makes is worth drinking. Some of it is pretty weird, but it's all interesting. ...

Yup.

I am waiting on the fall arrival of Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout. It's a winter thing, an imperial stout.

There's no chocolate in it, the chocolate flavor comes from chocolate malt, a malt that gaons a chocolate taste when it is roasted.

Black Chocolate Stout
www.beeradvocate.com

...This is the famous Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. In the 18th century, Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia, ordered a stout to be sent to her from England. This beer was brewed strong and hoppy to survive the sea voyage, and it arrived in perfect condition. Soon "Russian Imperial Stout" became the toast of the Russian aristocracy. Brewed since 1994, our Black Chocolate Stout has itself become a modern classic, heralded the world over. It achieves its dark chocolate aroma and flavor through the artful blending of six malts and three distinct mashes. Properly kept, it will improve in the bottle for many years. This stout is the toast of the winter season in many countries, and there is nothing better to enjoy with chocolate desserts, cheesecake, ice cream, fine cheeses and roaring fireplaces.

Given this beer's higher ABV and sturdy character, we think it's a prime candidate for cellaring. Find a cool, dry spot away from light sources, and see how it changes in the years to come. You never quite know what will happen when you age a beer: perhaps the body will smooth out, notes of vanilla, oak, and tannins will come to the front, or hints of leather and soy sauce will make themselves known. No matter what, remember that beer is meant for drinking, so don't keep it to yourself for too long. ...

Around here it is about $17 a sixpack.

#14 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-20 06:53 PM | Reply

That sounds good. I love their lager.

#15 | Posted by cbob at 2021-09-20 07:12 PM | Reply

Calling this "beer" is a bit of a stretch.

#16 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-09-20 07:15 PM | Reply

@#15 ... That sounds good. ...

I like it.

In February, while it is still available, I buy two sixpacks.

Then I ration those 12 bottles over the spring and summer, and into October when the next batch is available.

I currently have two bottles in the fridge to last me a couple of weeks.

The Kings - This Beat Goes On/Switchin' to Glide
www.youtube.com

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-20 07:35 PM | Reply

They're actually the same company now.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-20 07:59 PM | Reply

Everything Dogfish Head makes is worth drinking.

#13 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2021-09-20 06:47 PM | FLAG:

Nerd moment, but the beer randall they make is great for infusions. Instead of buying theirs, I went to NorCal Brewing and ordered their mason jar randall setup. It's fantastic and much easier to clean than the Dogfish Head original.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-20 08:29 PM | Reply

(*Aass is a fine Norwegian beer.)

#13 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2021-09-20 06:47 PM | FLAG:

Speaking of Norwegian, Kveik yeast is very popular right now. Google "Kveik Ring", which ancient Nordics used for fermentation. Their yeast strains have been "rediscovered" and popularized by White Labs due to the fermentation speed and temperature tolerance. Normally you have to have very fine temperature control, but kveik yeast gives no F's and finishes up in a few days instead of two weeks. If it is done right you need to be a certified judge or equivalent drunk to pick them out of a lineup.

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-20 08:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#20 ... Kveik yeast is very popular right now. ...

Oh geez...

Now you're making me pine for the days when I brewed beer to drink. I am actually thinking of venturing into the loft of the garage to see how my brewing equipment has fared since I last used it 25 years ago...

I wonder if Maltose Express is still around? That's where I used to get supplies...

Great, they seem to be alive... www.maltoseexpress.net

www.maltoseexpress.net

#21 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-20 08:57 PM | Reply

I hear ya, Lamp. It's been a long-ass time since I made beer. Brown ales, mostly. They're relatively easy, and the result was dependably good.

#22 | Posted by cbob at 2021-09-20 09:39 PM | Reply

a massive lineup of fruited sours with wildly inaccurate ABV listings

Inaccurate low or inaccurate high, in the liquid vs what's printed on the can/bottle? I've been on a sour and gose kick recently.

#23 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-21 11:15 AM | Reply

Brooklyn Brewery'

Not a fan of Brooklyn the place, but that brewery makes some good stuff, I'll see if I can find the chocolate stout

#24 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-21 11:24 AM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY GONOLES92 AT 2021-09-21 11:15 AM | FLAG:

Both. For some reason fractions are hard for a lot of craft breweries when it comes to dilution, to the extent it's a running joke. They nail the water content like trained chemists though...

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-09-21 11:28 AM | Reply

They nail the water content like trained chemists though...
POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

I've read on Reddit how some navy nuclear techs have landed jobs in breweries doing that type of thing. Then again, anything sounds better than being a nuclear tech on a sub or AC

#26 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-21 11:35 AM | Reply

"And it's expensive " the suggested retail price is $240 for 25.4-ounce bottle."

It will be a cold day in hell when I buy a bottle of beer for $240.00!

#27 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-22 07:01 AM | Reply | Funny: 1