Monday, September 20, 2021

A US district court has sentenced a man who unlocked 1.9 million AT&T phones to 12 years in prison.

Comments

Short read and totally worth it. Makes me wonder more about AT&T and how this guy managed to perpetrate the ongoing scheme for so long.

Also - insider threat - IT's worst nightmare. Seems like jail time is owed to multiple people here.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-09-20 04:55 PM | Reply

So my wife just got a new phone delivered from "AT&T" the other day - a piece of crap Android and they said it was because their 3G network is going away?
3G? Her present phone is like a year old. Sounds like a scam to me.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-20 05:15 PM | Reply

What they really mean to say is that AT&T wireless phones now require VoLTE chipsets in order to talk and chew gum (Data) at the same time.
How they sold you a phone so old that it can't transition is beyond belief. Sales people have known about this for a couple of years now at least.
If they try to tell you that their return policy has expired, mention that a judge will laugh them out of court for dumping old stock on new customers.
Try calling your bank and telling them what happened too. Ask for the charge to be credited until your bank has spoken with AT&T. Back your phone up to the mfg server/cloud account that came with the phone in order to get your accounts and contacts off of it just in case being issued an Return Merch Authorization number kicks in and a replacement phone appears in their system quickly.

#3 | Posted by LesWit at 2021-09-21 03:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Leswit, yeah I'm surprised that phones are still being sold or given out in the US that aren't able to operate above 3G. I've forgotten what even came before 3G right now (pre coffee), EDGE, CDMA, TDMA, GSM?

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-21 06:07 AM | Reply

AT&T's CEO should get 12 years in prison for locking the phones in the first place.

It's time to ban the despicable practice of carrier locking. Prohibit phone chipsets from even being capable of it.

#5 | Posted by DarkVader at 2021-09-21 10:18 AM | Reply

If only consumers would stop buying phones they can't pay off.
A few years ago I was using Metro T-Mobile and had been given a phone for the new account. The store said that they would unlock it after 90 days of use, apparently to
build loyalty. The same $50 Metro introductory phone could be used on a post-pay T-Mobile account if it was unlocked first and that's what I did after 90 days.
It seems that when loyalty is built into the deal, the carriers are retaining customers longer. DarkVader, I feel the same way about AT&T but they all do it and consumers keep demanding it.
The best I can do now is dribble some Captain Crunch onto the lobby floor of AT&T's corporate office.
2600 Hz

#6 | Posted by LesWit at 2021-09-21 11:53 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

2600 Hz #6 | POSTED BY LESWIT

Ooo an artifact of late- 20th century pirates of the landlines and early hacking 8-)

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-09-21 01:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by DarkVader

Phone locking is for people doing payment plans in order to make sure you pay it off. They "lost" $200 million on this scheme because phones were unlocked and then removed from the ATT plans and moved to other carriers... Honestly I wonder how many of these were stolen.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-09-21 04:22 PM | Reply

Maybe someone can answer this: AT&T suffered 200 million in losses due to non payment after the phones were unlocked. I get that and I know why he was sentenced. What I'm not understanding is, why did he do it in the first place? How did he make any money at this scheme? Did the people whose phones he unlocked pay him instead or something?

#9 | Posted by ABH at 2021-09-22 03:33 AM | Reply

I received a letter from Sprint/T-Mobile that on Jan. 1 many phones would not still operate on their system which i use. So, I contacted them and asked if my iphone 7-Plus would still operate and they assured me that it will be ok but my son, who is much more knowledgeable than I am, about such things tells me it won't be. Anyone have a thought about that because I seriously don't want to have to buy a new phone?
I think this problem is going to be a pretty huge mess more millions of people like me starting Jan. 1 and the carriers are just waiting to pounce on us and force us to buy brand new phones unnecessarily. And I have to say, I could give a crap about 5G, I just want a phone. I don't watch movies, etc. on my phone ever.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-22 05:58 AM | Reply

"Did the people whose phones he unlocked pay him instead or something?"

Obviously yes. How else could you profit from a stolen phone? I had a phone stolen way back in 1999, I still hate the piece of filth who took it and it was my first day on a new job so I probably worked with that piece of filth but just never knew who he/she was. Hopefully Karma caught up to them.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-22 06:02 AM | Reply