Thursday, September 23, 2021

Victoria Nourse: Two decades ago, the justices struck down a key provision of the Violence Against Women Act. The Olympians and other survivors are still paying the price.

Comments

Kavanaugh and Thomas are both rapists.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-23 06:16 PM | Reply

Neither has ever even been accused of rape. Time to go back on your meds.

#2 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-09-23 09:16 PM | Reply

Neither has ever even been accused of rape.

Does it hurt to be this stupid?

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-09-24 07:02 AM | Reply

I assume she's numb from the neck up.

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-24 09:42 AM | Reply

What did Kavanaugh have to do with it? The case in question - United States v. Morrison - was decided over twenty years ago. Thomas was involved; his objection was based on using the Commerce Act to regulate non-commercial activities.

[By the way - you might want to look-up the difference between "you're" and "your".]

#5 | Posted by STombs at 2021-09-24 11:36 AM | Reply

Only problem is, and I am hardly a legal scholar but, I understood the problem with their case long ago. This was a state court issue and the attorney's involved should now be sued for malpractice. If they didn't understand which court these cases should be tried in then they should not have licenses to practice law.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-24 01:30 PM | Reply

Even if Christine Blakey and Anita Hill's allegations were proven to be true, neither would meet the legal definition of rape. I think that makes you stupid, Nixon, because you don't know what rape is.

#7 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-09-25 06:17 AM | Reply

The point of the article is poorly made. The author believes that if rape victims were allowed to sue rapists in federal court, this would stop rapists, and specifically would have prevented Larry Nassar from continuing to victimize girls. The idea is preposterous. Federal lawsuits move at an excruciatingly slow pace. It is a state crime which belongs in state courts, both criminally and civilly.

Nassars abuse was allowed to continue BECAUSE the victims turned to the Federal Government and the FBI (who had no jurisdiction) let them down. The way to stop Nassau was to immediately report the rapes to police department with proper jurisdiction. Once that was done, Nassau was arrested and stopped. The article also implies that the Supreme Court decision prevents victims from suing. This is not true. Victims have always had the ability to civilly sue their rapists in state court, and many of Nassar's victims have done so.

#8 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-09-25 06:56 AM | Reply

#7 - "As for numb, I have put dozens of rapists behind bars and advocated for rape victim whose bodies were brutalized and souls were crushed. It is particularly painful for them to hear the word "rape" politicized or loosely used as a metaphor."

It's the same as when someone glibly calls someone a Nazi who clearly isn't. I wonder how it makes a holocaust survivor with a tattoo on her arm feel when progressives call a political figure they don't like a Nazi? (looking at you, Danni) To trivialize the horrors they encountered by calling someone like George Bush a Nazi is to spit in their face.

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-25 07:45 AM | Reply

Pretending Thomas and Kavenaugh did not abuse women and that they actually belong on the Supreme Court of the United States is preposterous whether either actually committed rape or not. Both are despicable.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-25 09:17 AM | Reply

Wrong. The women took their concerns to the head of the US National Team who then went to the FBI instead of local authorities. And shouldn't the FBI agent have spoken with local authorities himself anyway due to the factors you note yourself? Is this what the agent would have done if it were his child in the situation?

The women trusted the leadership - and later the FBI - to take care of them personally but both the leadership and FBI let them down.

#11 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-09-25 10:09 AM | Reply

Danni I did not pretend Kavanaugh and Thomas didn't abuse women. I said they weren't accused of rape. Poorly done straw man Danni, try harder.

I Happen to believe in due process. I don't believe all women. Women are just as capable of lying as men and as a police officer I have seen many provably false allegations. I believed Anita Hill. I did not believe Christine Blasey Ford. There was no corroborating evidence and her story did not add up. I also did not believe the woman who accused Joe Biden of raping her in the Capitol basement. Yes, of those three Biden was the only one actually ACCUSED of rape. Trump was also accused of rape in a department store dressing room. I agree that Trump is a despicable person, but I didn't believe that woman either. My reasons for believing one woman vs another are not based on emotions or sympathy, but on evidence.

#12 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-09-25 06:05 PM | Reply

Tony, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying and I went into more detail in
Another thread. I don't blame the victims at all. I don't expect young victims and their families to understand jurisdictional law. I do expect the FBI to know this and believe the agents involved should be CRIMINALLY Prosecuted.

#13 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-09-25 06:10 PM | Reply

"Two decades ago, the justices struck down a key provision of the Violence Against Women Act."

Rape Culture.