Saturday, September 25, 2021

The plethora of timeless symbols that define Washington include the White House, the Lincoln Memorial and a venerated area code that evokes power and prestige: 202 -- the digital entryway to the nation's capital.

Comments

213 619 760

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-25 01:41 PM | Reply

I've had to use an area code here, even for local dialing, for numerous years.

Why not just make the telephone number 10 digits, and call it the phone number, dropping the "area-code" appellation?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-09-25 01:44 PM | Reply

You don't need it for bum freaking Kansas.

#3 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-09-25 06:08 PM | Reply

"With the ubiquity of mobile phones, do area-specific area codes even mean anything anymore?"

They do for landlines, which are also still ubiquitous. I don't know if it's a rule, but it seems like some mobile carriers expect you to use an area code that matches where you use the phone most of the time, if not where you actually live.

"I've had to use an area code here, even for local dialing, for numerous years."

I can still make local calls using 7-digit numbers on my phone. I think it depends on the carrier.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-09-25 06:46 PM | Reply

We have lots of area codes here in S. Florida and you have to include them when you dial or your calls don't go through.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-09-26 08:34 AM | Reply

Kinda too late for this, but they should have created new area codes for mobile phones and kept landlines on the old ones. That would have made it a little easier to prevent spam calls to cell phones. I'm at the point now where I will vote for ANY politician that can stop the spam calls.

#6 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-09-26 11:03 AM | Reply

When cell phones first came out, they assigned special exchange numbers (the second set of three numbers in the 10 digit phone number). Up until the introduction of cell phones there were no exchanges with a '0' as the second number. I don't know why, but when AT&T (they originated the idea of area codes and exchanges in addition to the original four digit phone number) defined the 10 digit format, they excluded exchange numbers with a '0' in the middle. Note that my cell phone number's exchange if '504' while my wife's exchange number is '308' (she got her cell phone a couple of years before me). Of course, they no longer do that because they ran out of unique exchange numbers and besides, with so many people giving up their landlines but not wanting to lose their old phone numbers, the phone companies started to transfer landline numbers to their customer's cell phones, so that pretty much ended the idea of unique exchanges.

That being said, if you notice that someone's phone number does have a '0' as the middle number, you can assume that it IS a cell phone.

And just for trivia sake, at least in the US, there are NO phone numbers with the numbers '555' as an exchange. I assume that AT&T decided that it was good to have at least one null exchange, just in case, and so on TV and in the movies, whenever a character gives someone their phone number, the exchange is always '555'. That way, there's no chance that a real phone number is being given out by accident. Now, I've never checked, but I'll bet that there are no '666' exchanges either. Now, I do know that there's NO '666' area code (amazing how religious beliefs impact even the mundane, to say nothing of the totally irrelevant).

OCU

#7 | Posted by OCUser at 2021-09-26 02:52 PM | Reply

805 and 408 are not primarily mobile area codes.

#8 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-26 05:50 PM | Reply

805 is Ventura county.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-09-26 05:56 PM | Reply

"Now, I've never checked, but I'll bet that there are no '666' exchanges either."

Actually there's a lot:
www.area-codes.com

"Now, I do know that there's NO '666' area code"

Not anymore, but there was until 2007.

"And just for trivia sake, at least in the US, there are NO phone numbers with the numbers '555' as an exchange."

Who you gonna call? 555-2368!

#10 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-09-27 08:21 AM | Reply