Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Sirin Kale: For pet cats are free to roam, where do they go and what do they get up to? We fitted six cats with GPS trackers and found out.

Comments

You have to scroll down a little to see it get Evil. There really is a K.A.T. ?

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-09-28 02:46 AM | Reply

Ok, so we are the crazy cat people... I am an animal lover period. I love dogs but the don't fit our lifestyle. I keep and breed tropical fish as well (40+ years now). Throw in that my wife volunteers with the local animal shelter and a couple of rescues and we have ended up with 5, yes 5, cats. They are NOT indoor outdoor - indoor only. It's heart breaking how many people rescues have to turn away with kittens and cats because of irresponsible cat ownership.

When I grew up we always had outdoor cats. We lived in rural area on 48 acres. At the time there were about 10 houses in the first mile of my road. And people would drop puppies and kittens off in our driveway once or twice a year - all the neighbors had them turn up. The cats we had were mostly ever present when were home it seemed, but sometimes you seen them a good distance from the house - 1/4 mile or so. And they always seemed to disappear for a month every so often. The thing is something would always happen to them after a few years. Most lasted about 3 years. When coyotes moved into the area, it really wasn't even an option anymore.

Move to today - when I moved out of my parents and as I learned about just how destructive they were and also considering how attached I was to all my pets I no longer had cats that ventured outdoors. We used to front declaw our indoor cats but we even quit declawing our indoor cats years ago now - give them enough scratching posts. We have enough space in the house to have enough litter boxes (full unfinished basement) and we use good litter. People we talk to always say "but our cat wants out". In my experience with a couple dozen cats that we have had or were longer term residents (we occasionally foster as well) the young adventurous cat is curious. Yes sure if you let them out at that point they will want to venture out but after the first year? They don't want out anymore ever. Even cats that were indoor/outdoor quit looking to go out. On of our cats was a feral young outdoor cat when we took him in (6 months old or so) - he is the least interested of the bunch in going out now. Sure they love to line up in front of the window and make all sorts of noises as they watch the birds and squirrels but the couple times one did pop out the door they were actually scared.

That said let's talk about the destructive nature of domestic cats. There was a study out of I believe the UK I read something like 20 years ago that discussed just how many bird, rodents and other creatures the average domestic cat kills. It was staggering. I don't remember the exact numbers per cat but the lowest estimates in just the US alone is they kill over 2 billion birds a year and for the most part they do not eat them - because they are well fed. They are the number one human caused threat to wild birds - globally not just in the US.

Bottom line? Keep your cats inside and Spay/Neuter them.

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-09-28 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Lousy editing on that post. Interrupted about 10 times.

#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-09-28 02:00 PM | Reply

" They are the number one human caused threat to wild birds - globally not just in the US."

I would have thought building strikes were higher, but I know cats are a big source of loss.
Cats also tend to hunt the rarer birds, and not say the invasive starlings.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-28 02:11 PM | Reply

-------.

#5 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-28 03:24 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by snoofy

According to a study in the UK the average outdoor cat kills over 300 birds a year - I can't find it but it has been at least 15 years since I referenced it and I am not 100% on that number I want to say it is actually higher. That's JUST the birds they kill. They are truly interesting creatures and most definitely highly effective predators. Our cats love the flies that get in the house in August - I don't have fly swatter anymore because they only last a few minutes at best.

Back to that spay/neuter thing. I have helped more than once capture colonies of cats of 40 or more feral cats. (It amazing how many are out there.) So once you see those, you can understand how the numbers grow.

Windmills do kill a lot of birds as well. A few years ago an acquaintance had a job where she visited the sites of "her" windmills and collected carcasses as part of a tracking study. I don't remember the numbers but I was surprised, that I do remember. There are still a lot more outdoor cats than windmills though.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-09-28 03:39 PM | Reply

That's nothing. A cat named Towser killed over 22,000 mice at a distillery in Scotland.

#7 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-28 03:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yeah, those distilleries are environmental oases in a sea of concrete. Dope.

#8 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-28 04:14 PM | Reply

#8 What?

You read WAY too much into my post.

It was intended as an interesting bit of trivia - nothing more.

#9 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-09-28 04:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

We have two cats that were born in the forest of rural Minnesota. The mom dropped the litter on my mother in law's doorstep. She ended up keeping the mom and we took two of the brothers back to San Diego once they turned 10 weeks. In MN, they had a ton of room to roam around without fear of animals or cars. Then we brought them to San Diego and decided they would be 99% indoor cats. Our vet praised us for doing so for a multitude of reasons, but mainly that's the best way to ensure that you have the longest relationship possible with them. Outdoors, there's clearly predators, but also viruses and disease. For instance, I say 99% because we do take them out for a walk in the yard and carport. They love chasing the bugs in the summer. But even with that small amount of outdoor time, the littlest cat (the runt) came down with a fungal infection in his knee that was actually eating away at the bone (apparently can be transmitted via pigeon droppings in the dirt).

Until we were able to do blood tests, we were thinking it was a high probability that the little guy had bone cancer. Turns out, it's a rare form of fungal infection that actually rooted itself in the bone, something the specialist said he'd only seen a couple other times in his 40 years of veterinary medicine. So he's on a twice-a-day pill regimen to address it and is finally back to his old self. But that's just one potential risk out of how many others?

BTW, keep your cats away from lilies. It's basically like arsenic for them.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-28 05:50 PM | Reply

Adorable little murder machines.

Ecological disasters on four legs.

God furry demon army.

They go by many names but you likely call them something like fluffy or mittens.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-28 05:52 PM | Reply

I can't stand cats, but I admit I tolerate the feral ones in the neighborhood. They undoubtedly keep the vermin in check.

I would never let a cat into my house, though. Never.

#12 | Posted by jakester at 2021-09-28 05:56 PM | Reply

I've had six cats--all different. The best was a rescue I found and he lived to be 18. A stone killer afraid of no dog, but knew his limits when he would see a raccoon. Very affectionate. A dog of a cat, would come when called, often bringing to us his kills.

Our current cat gets by on his looks--dumb, overweight and had to be de-clawed so as to save the furniture. He watches out the window all night for the neighbor's cat, Mike, who once escaped a bobcat by slipping out of his collar when Bobby bit Mike in the neck. And yet, Mike still goes out at night. Dumb, or fearless?

#13 | Posted by catdog at 2021-09-28 06:03 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Remind me to never buy anything from that feces laden distillery

#14 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-09-28 06:03 PM | Reply

Note to Jake: your typical cat will handle mice or smaller critters, but are not a match for city rats. For them a pack of terriers is best, and great sport for all but the rats. Those YouTube videos are all true to life, and true to death for the rat involved...

#15 | Posted by catdog at 2021-09-28 06:05 PM | Reply

Be wary of cats they really do have something close to hypnotism but it's parasite based and I'm afraid that I've already contracted it.

#16 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-28 06:09 PM | Reply

#16 You mean toxoplasmosis?

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-28 06:14 PM | Reply

"You mean toxoplasmosis?"

My cats say that's not it and toxoplasmosis doesn't really exist.

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2021-09-28 06:16 PM | Reply

Here's the best rundown on the murder cat yet

theoatmeal.com

#19 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-09-28 06:21 PM | Reply

We have 1/2 a dozen here on 10 acres in the Ocala Forest. They do keep away the small squirrels we have out here, and the birds... except for the sand crane couple that lives here some time. Also rats, small snakes, and lizards. Rattlers are exempt. They seem to have truce with possums, the raccoons laugh them.

We thought last week we had lost the young calico to foxes, but she's OK. Bears are numerous, I saw a big young male cross our road the other day. Bears ignore these cats.

Indoors I'm not a fan of cats, but outdoors is OK.

#20 | Posted by Corky at 2021-09-28 06:32 PM | Reply

What a surprise #8 #9... legallyamoron jumped to conclusions and acted like an idiot.

#21 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-09-28 06:40 PM | Reply

They seem to have truce with possums, the raccoons laugh them.

Our neighbors have CCTV footage of their cats hanging out with raccoons in the driveway at night. Sometime eating, sometimes just chilling.

The peace accord between these two species was ratified long ago.

#22 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-28 06:48 PM | Reply

Most of the cats are feral at my place (city/ suburb) except for a couple abondoned. All caught, fixed and released. I haven't seen a kitten in 6 or 7 years. My wife has one indoor cat.

Cats are all as differnt as DR posters some get along and live in peace , others bite each others ears off.

Anyway, they are welcome to eat all the pigeons and city doves they want as far as I'm concerned. And they do eat some but most of the time they sit there while the birds eat their food.

#23 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-09-28 06:58 PM | Reply

Our cat has o.c.d. and gets separation anxiety when I leave the room and starts to cry... eerie

She's 8 but still fights to get outside... she has no fears and has chased off dogs. As a kitten she used to go find my girlfrirnds small used socks and stack them at my feet at night. I think she was trying to show me her kill and that she was putting in work.
Cats are crazy

#24 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-09-29 09:44 AM | Reply

My wife was allergic to cat hair, breaking out in a rash wherever she was touched, so we've been a multiple dog house for years.

A 4-5 month old cat showed up on the side porch, rolled on his back, started softly mewing and began kissing my wife's toes. Hot day, over 90. "I'm letting him stay in the hallway .. but nowhere else," said my wife, as she put down food, water, and a litter box.

After two weeks of searching for posts about a lost cat matching his description, and turning up nothing, the cat was given free reign of "only the front half of the house," where he started mounting sneak attacks on our dog's tails from behind a curtain as they walked by ... like Cato, who'd launch the same stealthy attacks on The Pink Panther at any given moment.

That was two years ago. Now he naps on the bed. And my wife got over her allergy.

We have a dog door they can all come and go out of to the fenced area of the property. He was putting on more weight than the food we were feeding him would indicate. Sure enough, he was mooching treats and food off of a couple of neighbors. And become as much of a food nut as one of my big dogs is (starving when he was rescued from a bad situation).

#25 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-09-29 03:17 PM | Reply

Patriots still suck, loser.

#26 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-09-29 10:38 PM | Reply

I do not have a cat. I like cats. Some of my friends have cats. Catnip, three varieties, grows wild along the driveway. The bushes get to about three feet tall, and then go to seed. When I visit my cat friends, I always take along some 'nip for the cats. The cats will run to the door when they hear my voice. One of the 'nip varieties, the one with the purple stems, will actually get the cats so stoned they lay on their backs with their eyes mostly shut...dare I say catatonic?

#27 | Posted by john47 at 2021-09-30 11:04 AM | Reply