Thursday, September 30, 2021

A large study has revealed that one in three Covid-19 survivors have suffered symptoms three to six months after getting infected, with breathing problems, abdominal symptoms such as abdominal pain, change of bowel habit and diarrhoea, fatigue, pain, anxiety and depression among the most common issues reported.

Comments

Hearing loss and ringing in the ears is also an issue and has been confirmed as a possible long-term or permanent COVID side effect since spring, 2020.

I bring this up because my Dad was in Vietnam and came back with a lifelong case of tinnitus and moderate hearing loss. It severely impacted his quality of life and overall well-being for the last 40 years of his life. Near the end, his vocabulary mostly consisted of "What?, Huh?, and Come Again?"

I would go to over to Fort Detrick with him or visit him in Charlotte Hall when he was still alive and every single buddy of his in that place receiving treatment for PTSD, anxiety, depression and so forth had some sort of crazy ear issue. Every single one. One of my Dad's best bits of advice he gave me was "protect your ears-- you don't want to know what it is to have alarm clock bells ringing in your head every damn morning, noon and evening."

Once I read that hearing loss and/or tinnitus presents in 5-7% of all COVID recoveries, that alone convinced me to get the vaccine.

#1 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-09-30 01:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There was a case posted here IIRC of a surgeon from Houston (again, IIRC) who developed tinnitus after contracting COVID.

Committed suicide after three or so months of it.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-30 02:20 PM | Reply

"Committed suicide after three or so months of it."

Kent Taylor, founder and CEO of Texas Roadhouse, did the same thing.

#3 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-09-30 03:19 PM | Reply

Perhaps the side effect of spontaneous sterilization could occur in the cases of anti-vax Righties. That permanent Republican wet dream that Karl Rove fantasized about would just be that, a fantasy...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2021-09-30 05:57 PM | Reply

People have deliberately deafened themselves to try to make the tinnitus stop.
It doesn't stop.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-30 06:16 PM | Reply

"The symptoms, such as headache, fatigue and cognitive dysfunction, persist or recur months after diagnosis, far more often than they do for the flu, researchers say."

Mine seems to always get worse after I drink a bottle of whiskey the night before.

Thankfully, Binder and Binder convinced Social Security to recognize my disability!

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-30 06:18 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-09-30 07:33 PM | Reply

"It's not nearly as bad as the flu!"

Sure, ~30% of COVID patients end up with symptoms lingering six months later.

Just. Like. The. Flu.

#8 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-09-30 07:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Electric shocks to the tongue can quiet chronic ringing ears

I can verify that the above works for tinnitus. I indirectly treated myself with a nine volt battery, and ringing that I had for years has mostly disappeared. I was really only checking the battery, and was not aware of the treatment until a couple of weeks later, when I heard about it on NPR.

#9 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-09-30 08:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Where's our resident sociopath madbomber to lecture us on how millions of people suffering through long covid is better than making selfish -------- get a shot?
#7 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

Maybe you missed it, but the vaccines don't actually stop you from getting covid. The current sales pitch is that they decrease severity of symptoms only....of course, Israel and Wales data out of England kinda paint a different picture but whatever. Is there any study yet of incidents of 'long covid' in vaccinated vs. unvaccinated covid recoveries?

#10 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-30 08:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"The current sales pitch is that they decrease severity of symptoms only"

Seatbelts and airbags decrease the severity of the symptoms of a car crash.

So why bother?
All they do is save lives.
They don't actually stop car crashes.
--Deplorables

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-30 09:24 PM | Reply

"Seatbelts and airbags decrease the severity of the symptoms of a car crash.
#11 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

So you have a peer reviewed study saying that the vaccine will limit your odds of having 'long covid'? If not, I don't know why people would be posting on here against people choosing not to get the vax.

#12 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-30 09:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"So you have a peer reviewed study saying that the vaccine will limit your odds of having 'long covid'?"

You have a peer reviewed study saying parachutes work?
If not, you don't know why skydivers bother with them.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-30 10:11 PM | Reply

"You have a peer reviewed study saying parachutes work?
#13 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

Militaries around the world have many. That is why they don't let --------- like you jump out of planes because the studies say they are ineffective in slowing the descent of 300lbs pieces of human waste.

#14 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-30 10:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Why don't you turn that frown upside down!

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-30 11:11 PM | Reply

Coronavirus vaccines cut risk of long Covid, study finds

#16 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-09-30 11:24 PM | Reply

"Coronavirus vaccines cut risk of long Covid, study finds
#16 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT"

"They analysed data gathered from the UK Zoe Covid Study app, which tracks people's self-reported symptoms and vaccines and tests."

Sorry, not going to give this any credibility unless you agree to do the same with the VAERS database or accept anecdotal evidence of hydroxychlroquine as it has the same level of credibility.

#17 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-30 11:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#10 | Posted by Skeptical

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-30 11:38 PM | Reply

"Only if you listen to media representations of the data and haven't actually looked at it yourself.
#18 | POSTED BY JPW"

The numbers are what the numbers are - people with 2 doses of vaccine are going to the hospital for covid so the only rationale is that 'there would have been more' without the 2 doses - but, this is a guess and not a scientific statement. I think it is beyond time you admit these vaccines are not the same as the vaccines people have traditionally associated with the word.

#19 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-09-30 11:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"The numbers are what the numbers are"

And here's what they are, from the link in the link in #16, which won't make it past the formatting here, but it's from The Lancet:

"Almost all symptoms were reported less frequently in infected vaccinated individuals than in infected unvaccinated individuals, and vaccinated participants were more likely to be completely asymptomatic, especially if they were 60 years or older."

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-30 11:51 PM | Reply

www.medrxiv.org

Reduction of transmission by vaccination.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2021-09-30 11:51 PM | Reply

"these vaccines are not the same as the vaccines people have traditionally associated with the word."

Yeah they are.
www.immune.org.nz
Many vaccines used today are relatively new and data concerning the length of time that they give protection is continually being updated
For many diseases immunity wanes following natural infection
The duration of immunity provided by vaccines varies depending on a range of factors, particularly the vaccine itself
Live vaccines generally induce longer lived immunity than sub unit vaccines
Sub unit vaccines frequently require primary courses and boosters
Polysaccharide vaccines do not generate long-lived memory cells
If the interval between doses is too short the duration of immunity can be affected. " Hence minimum intervals are required
In the very young and very old the duration of immunity can be limited

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-09-30 11:53 PM | Reply

It's not a guess at all.

US data is overwhelmingly loaded with unvaxxed patients.

Your wishful thinking that vaccinated people are as susceptible and get as sick as unvaccinated people is pathetic.

#19 | Posted by Skeptical

And you're moving on to the next retarded pile of crap ignorant people parrot because they don't know any better.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 12:05 AM | Reply

Has Skeptical explained why he's vaccinated, if it's so ineffective?

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-01 12:22 AM | Reply

"Has Skeptical explained why he's vaccinated, if it's so ineffective?
#24 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

Because it it not worth the inconvenience of not having it. I live my life exactly the same - vax or no vax. I am not in an at risk category so it really does not provide any benefit to me. If I were to contract covid, I would follow Joe Rogan's regime and treat it with ivermectin, zinc and vitamins. I already take a zinc supplement so no change on that front.

So, my life has returned to normal a long time ago. I still meet with my friends. I still go out to restaurants. I don't need to put on any mask or vaccine theatrics to feel better about myself like the liberal do. And where I live, that is pretty much what everyone has returned to. Go to an NFL game - go to a college game. No masks, no fear.

Really is no different than NYC where people only put on their masks when cameras are rolling.

#25 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-01 01:53 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Say "I'm an idiot" without sayin I'm, an or idiot.

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 08:45 AM | Reply

Bear in mind, Joe Rogan is a self-confessed "------- moron" when it comes to COVID.

#27 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-10-01 08:59 AM | Reply

"Say "I'm an idiot" without sayin I'm, an or idiot.
#26 | POSTED BY JPW "

I am curious, if you get covid, how will you treat it?

#28 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-01 10:08 AM | Reply

What I know I won't do is freak out and throw a bunch of useless stuff at it.

#29 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 10:14 AM | Reply

"#29 | POSTED BY JPW"

So, if I take vitamins, ivermectin, and zinc - what is my downside?

#30 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-01 10:20 AM | Reply

I have tinnitus.

I just always figured in had to do with years of close proximity to eight P&W TF33 jet engines.

#31 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-01 10:38 AM | Reply

"Depends on the symptoms. Will likely need nothing more than rest and chicken soup. What I know I won't do is freak out and throw a bunch of useless stuff at it."

Really, you seem more than willing to freak and do a bunch of useless stuff to avoid getting it.

But upon actually contracting the virus, you're somehow become a reasonable human?

God...I hope we all get it.

#32 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-01 10:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

The problem is you lack the ability to understand my perspective.

Because you live in a you centric world.

While I live in a world loaded with other people.

#33 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 10:57 AM | Reply

So, if I take vitamins, ivermectin, and zinc - what is my downside?

#30 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

You prove to the world you're an idiot who takes medical advice from Joe Rogan?

#34 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 10:57 AM | Reply

#34 what if one's doctor prescribes one of those drugs?

#35 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-10-01 11:02 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"It's that self-centered thing I keep talking about but you refuse to see. Or can't see."

Yeah.

This is the weird thing.

I see myself as advocating against the tyranny being promoted by people such as yourself. It's not about me. I don't really matter as an individual. It's everyone.

I think the big difference between you and I is that I think that individuals should have the freedom to determine what's best for them. You think that, alternately, they should be told what to do.

So which one of us is trying to force their views on others?

You or me?

#36 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-01 11:06 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"#34 what if one's doctor prescribes one of those drugs?"

I had never heard of this stuff until my sister mentioned it. She spent about ten minutes informing me about the wonders of the stuff. Her doctor said it was OK to take, but she didn't need it because she had already had COVID.

#37 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-01 11:08 AM | Reply

- tyranny

In this case, the Randian "tyranny" of the existence of other people, and the complete lack of any empathic ability to recognize their existence or it's value.

#38 | Posted by Corky at 2021-10-01 11:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's your self-righteous rationalizing. "It's for Frreeedummmzz!!"

Pffft.

It's nothing more than excuses to do literally nothing because you simply don't feel like it. But that sounds selfish so you concoct the dumbass freedumz arguments.

BTW the forcing part is a strawman that the selfish types always bring up. Probably because it's central to their victim complex delusions.

#39 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 11:22 AM | Reply

#34 what if one's doctor prescribes one of those drugs?

#35 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Then they're a quack.

#40 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 11:23 AM | Reply

The difference between us is you only think about you.

Anything else is out of your care or consideration.

#41 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 11:29 AM | Reply

The difference between us is you only think about you.

Individual decisions that have societal consequences are subject to said society's rules. Just like public smoking. No one is free to pollute the air of those not wanting to breathe smoke. No one has the right to publicly spread contagions to those trying to avoid infection by actively mitigating against them.

People do not have the right to potentially harm others while pursuing their own choices when those choices negatively affect others who have not consented to be affected as a matter of both simply being in public.

Individual's total freedom ends once they enter the public realm, and that has always been the case to varying degrees. When infectious diseases are rampant, local governments have the full weight of law to enact public protections including mandating vaccinations - this is settled law from a 1905 SCOTUS ruling that has been noted and repeated ad nauseum.

#42 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-10-01 11:45 AM | Reply

"You prove to the world you're an idiot who takes medical advice from Joe Rogan?
#34 | POSTED BY JPW"

Okay - so by your own admission, there is no downside to taking zinc, vitamins, and ivermectin if one contracts covid. You treatment protocol is sleep only.

Yet, you feel the need to constant call people that take it stupid and try to restrict their access. It is pretty funny as there are many studies that point to their efficacy - and there are no downsides - yet, you choose to go with the route of doing nothing and think you are the smart one.

#43 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-01 12:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Well, the funny thing to me is how absurdly binary the thinking goes.

Personal choice means we should accept somebody refusing to do something as simple and safe as putting a mask on and getting a vaccine. They MUST be treated as normally as we treat everyone else, despite their insistence on taking advantage of society for all the benefits while refusing to lift a finger to contribute, even when it's next to nothing, or, in many cases, contribute detrimental effects.

Sorry, but no, the rest of society does not have to accept and respect that. And yes, you are in fact the self-centered if you demand we do.

#44 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 12:05 PM | Reply

Not at all what I said. I said for me in all likelihood.

Protocols differ depending on stage and severity of disease.

Why do righties always dream up non-existent restrictions? Get over it. You're not a victim.

And yes, if you are willing to listen to quacks and charlatans while denigrating those who you'll look to to save your life if you need them you are stupid.

#43 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

There literally is not many studies pointing to efficacy.

Only an ignorant lay turd parroting claims they lack the knowledge to accurately assess themselves says this.

#45 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-01 12:09 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by Skeptical

Maybe you missed it, but overwhelmed low vaccination states are having to ship patients to high vaccination states. Why do you think that is?

#46 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-01 12:31 PM | Reply

So which one of us is trying to force their views on others?

You or me?

#36 | Posted by madbomber

"I don't really matter as an individual. It's everyone."

This is why you get vaccinated stupid. It's about EVERYONE. Not just you. Here you are embracing that mentality, then going and spreading anti vax propaganda all day.

Vaccination is not tyranny. Being held hostage by anti vaxxers who are causing our doctors and nurses to quit and dragging this pandemic on is tyranny.

#47 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-01 12:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

So, if I take vitamins, ivermectin, and zinc - what is my downside?

#30 | Posted by Skeptical

Well if the ivermectin land you in the hospital and so someone else doesn't get a hospital bed because of your dumb ass, I'd say that's a downside. But not for you, and you're all that matters. All the people you spread covid too don't matter as well. Their lives aren't as important as you sticking it to the libs and refusing the vaccine.

#48 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-01 12:36 PM | Reply

You want anarchy? Keep doing what you're doing, MudBalm, you fuqwit. Your "beliefs" aren't worth bullscheite. Understand how a society works? We all do things we may not like for the benefit of all. You would have been a simpering little ball of goo during WWII "I don't believe Nazis are all bad, blah blah blah" Stay in Germany. We don't need another dumb@ss here.

#49 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-01 01:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"a year later, 45% of COVID patients in Wuhan still have symptoms"

arstechnica.com

#50 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-10-01 02:09 PM | Reply

if I take vitamins, ivermectin, and zinc - what is my downside?

#30 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

Waste of resources, possible overdose, possible negative interactions with other medications and you may decide to forego more proven treatment.
That last one is what my brother's Qanon loving mother-in-law did for 4 days when she got sick in August. She didn't believe covid was real. Ended up hospitalized where she tested positive and ended up staying for 8 days before recovering. L She also managed to infect her husband and her next door neighbors.

#51 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-10-01 02:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Waste of resources"

What resources? The world supply of zinc?

"possible overdose,"

On doctor prescribed ivermectin? It is not all horse de-worming paste despite what the NYT says.

"possible negative interactions with other medications and you may decide to forego more proven treatment."

More proven treatment - which is what exactly?

"L She also managed to infect her husband and her next door neighbors.
#51 | POSTED BY JOHNNY_HOTSAUCE"

#52 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-01 07:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#52 | Posted by Skeptical

That things that aren't perfect are pointless? That would be the most childish perspective I could imagine.

#53 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-01 09:17 PM | Reply

"Yeah and a seat beat doesn't stop you are anyone else from dying in a car crash. What's your point?
#53 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

The point is that you should stop demonizing anyone that wears a seatbeat just like your should stop demonizing anyone that is taking ivermectin, vitamins, and zinc that has covid.

#54 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-01 09:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You self-selected your own treatment, ignoring what Rogan actually said. That i find most telling about the way your brain is wired. That or you are actually here to kill off as many Americans as you can. Rogan also used monoclonal antibodies. The only treatment that has a proven benefit. Yet you didn't even mention that, did you?

Remember when Vitamin D, Hydroxychloroquin, zinc, and antibiotics were the miracle cures - until they weren't? HINT: They NEVER WORKED. Duh.

This use of antibiotics, zinc, and ivermectin (oh, Rogan didn't use human-use Ivermectin, in case you were wondering), is beyond stupid. We have a doctor here prescribing this nonsense and he points to his couple of dozen patients that "got better" as proof.

The only thing he's proved is the statistics and the probabilities are real. If you have a 2% fatality rate, as long as you don't kill a patient with something really stupid, the odds of them getting better are good. This is the insanity of thinking that because you test positive and take "something" that that "something" cured you. Pure nonsense.

#55 | Posted by YAV at 2021-10-01 11:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"(oh, Rogan didn't use human-use Ivermectin, in case you were wondering)
#55 | POSTED BY YAV "

That is a 100% proven lie. Rogan stated explicitly that his ivermectin was doctor prescribed. Why lie about that?

#56 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-01 11:34 PM | Reply

"I am already vaccinated, but that does not stop me or anyone else from being able to infect others."

Just to see if you're paying attention, does the vaccine make it more likely you'll infect others, or less likely?

(Macro hint: it's one or the other.)

#57 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-02 02:23 AM | Reply

I would like to point out that you're ignoring the entire point of my post which is that he took monoclonal antibodies, the only proven therapeutic in that stew of nonsense he "threw" at his body.

Rogan did not originally state that. Here it is:
www.instagram.com

Then he got press about it, like this:

"Rogan says he took a drug the FDA urges people not to use
His methods included taking ivermectin, a deworming veterinary drug that is formulated for use in cows and horses. While a version of the drug is sometimes prescribed to people for head lice or skin conditions, the formula for animal use is much more concentrated. The Food and Drug administration is urging people to stop ingesting the animal version of the drug to fight COVID-19, warning it can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, neurologic disorders and potentially severe hepatitis requiring hospitalization." www.npr.org

And on CNN, and everhwere. So then he came back and said that he "got it from a Doctor" but he didn't say it was prescribed or that it wasn't a DVM. Here's that segment:
www.youtube.com

So could he have gotten a human version prescribed by a doctor that treats humans? Yes, but calling what I said a "100% proven lie" both misstates his original ambiguous claim and his second attempt at "clarifying" what he took.

Again, I'm pointing out that you're ignoring the entire point of my post which is that he took monoclonal antibodies, the only proven therapeutic in that stew of nonsense he "threw" at his body.

#58 | Posted by YAV at 2021-10-02 10:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is why you get vaccinated stupid. It's about EVERYONE. Not just you.

#47 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Madbomber has rarely been able to see the world beyond the individual. ..why it's usually an exercise in futility to have conversation with him.

#59 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-10-02 01:09 PM | Reply

And is quite ironic given his employment in one of the most rigid, uniform work places on the planet.

#60 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-02 01:52 PM | Reply

#54 | Posted by Skeptical

If you've got covid take whatever you want. Drink bleach. Shine light into your organs like dr donald trump suggested.

But that has nothing to do with you selfish ------ extending this pandemic by not getting vaccinated.

#61 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-02 03:22 PM | Reply