Sunday, October 03, 2021

Have you seen a worse Biden? Was it just me or did you hear hints of a George W Bush voice? Can they not write about anything other than politics? And who is writing anyway? All these months and THAT was their first episode. I guess they're saving their good skits for later.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I always hope for something funny and witty and smart. No... just more politics. Honestly, I get the impression they take themselves really serious and think they're influencing Washington or voters or the world.

All they're doing is singing to the choir.

Based on ratings, it sounds like people are dropping the show in droves.

Based on last night I turned off my DVR and won't be recording them this season again.

Comments

oops...preaching to the choir.

#1 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 11:31 AM | Reply

Can they not write about anything other than politics?

What did they say that you disagree with?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-10-03 11:36 AM | Reply

I've been hearing comedians complaining doing comedy is just not the same.

I mean...everything is off limits.

Pastor Steven Furtick on right after SNL from Elevation Church in NC opened his sermon talking about how everyone is offended about everything.

He's actually interesting.

#3 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 11:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Redial,

"What did they say that you disagree with?"

Agreeing and disagreeing wasn't my point.

It's just tired of politics all the time.

#4 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 11:40 AM | Reply

Agreeing and disagreeing wasn't my point.

They said mail-in ballots were good, didn't they? :-)

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-10-03 11:42 AM | Reply

Interestingly, Furtick wasn't talking about liberals being offended all the time. He mentioned Christians being offended all the time.

As I've said before, Christians portrayed by liberals or atheist liberals is out of date in my opinion.

Didn't mean to go off into religion so I'll stop right here.

#6 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 11:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Redial,

I didn't say I don't disagree with stuff they say.

My only point of this thread isn't their content...but the fact they can't seem to do anything but talk politics and look slightly bombastic.

And that Biden really was awful. I think I liked Jason Sudeikis the best.

#7 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 11:49 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I didn't say I don't disagree with stuff they say.

Fair enough. When most folk here rant about a TV show it's because they didn't like what they said.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-10-03 11:59 AM | Reply

Overall it was definitely a weak effort from SNL.

Cecily Strong as Kyrsten Sinema was great but the rest of the opening fell on its face.

Sinema - I want no roads.
Biden - No roads? Why?
Sinema - Chaos

Owen Wilson was fun. I liked the Star Trek, School board and Cars bits.
The Norm McDonald tribute on weekend update was touching but also reminded everyone how far the show has fallen.
I'm not normally a Pete Davidson fan but he was on point on Weekend Update talking about the Met Gala and how the 80's was simultaneously the gayest and the most homophobic decade (I had just said the same thing to a friend of mine a couple weeks ago).
Kacey Musgrave as musical guest doing 2 ballads was a poor choice. It's 11pm. Give me something with an up tempo, not a lullaby. I picked that time to take the dogs outside.

#9 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-10-03 12:15 PM | Reply

John,

Sinema is an interesting situation.

I've read before Biden is asking her what she wants in the infrastructure bill and she won't get into details.

Let's see.... she's from Arizona.

What is going on in Arizona?

They're on the southern border next to Texas.

I don't see any problems...do you?

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 12:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Well...forgot about New Mexico.

I bet that happens a lot.

You get my point though.

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 04:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Johnny,

"the 80's was simultaneously the gayest and the most homophobic decade"

I don't know how much I agree with Pete Davidson's choice of words.

"homophobic"? I think it was more homoerotic back then...however....only some people picked up on the cues....if you know what I mean.

Only some guys saw the homoerotic nature.

Personally, I think we're much more homophobic today than the 80's.

I've noticed the way men interact with each other today is more cautious and body language between men has lost a lot of innocence and intimacy.

Back then no one thought about it and sure the hell didn't talk about it.

I know...I was there in the midst of a conservative church.

I think the 80's was homoerotic but not so much homophobic like today.

#12 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 06:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The senator from Arizona is a nut and it's about time Cortez started being criticized by the left.

It's pathetic that Republicans can't praise Saturday Night Live even when it's making fun of people's that republic whined for ages Saturday Night Live wasn't making fun of.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-03 06:33 PM | Reply

Johnny,

Interestly, watch some videos of straight men in the Middle East interacting with each other.

Much more touchy feely and openly crying.

Just my opinion'

#14 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 06:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Tor,

I guess for some people the political message is more important than clever jokes.

Whatever floats your boat.

#15 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 06:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I thought that was Darrell Hammond when I watched that cold open. They'll probably have someone else play Biden next time, since it's become a running joke that they keep changing the actor doing the impression.

I don't get the headline, since you're bashing the entire episode based on the opening skit. I agree the opening was not very good, but in general it was a decent episode starring Owen Wilson. The Star Trek skit with Bezos was hilarious, as was this one about a school board meeting:

youtu.be

#16 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-03 06:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sometimes really good skits get cut for time:

Splitting the Check

#17 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-03 07:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Johnson you're moving the goalposts rather than admit Saturday Night Live did just fine mocking Democrats last night.

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-03 07:18 PM | Reply

Sent,

I didn't say I didn't like anything.

It used to be Weekend Update was about the only bit that went into politics.

Now it's regularly the cold open and nearly every other skit.

I think that was my original point.

Instead of sucks, I'll say disappointed for those whose feelings were hurt.

Or to put it another way, I won't be recording SNL next week.

#19 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 08:02 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

As a kid raised in the 80's I gotta say you are just wrong. A kid coming out in the 80's was a big deal. It just wouldn't happen kids would hide it till 18 because for most kids it meant the total loss of social and very likely familial support, including economic support.

Gay on TV and movies was at best a gag.

Getting beaten was not rare and bullied was a given.

Homoerotic a bit, and that probably helped pave the way for progress but it was like the purloined letter hidden in plain sight. It was there but you didn't see it unless you were in on it.

#20 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-10-03 08:05 PM | Reply

"America men today are surrounded by so much gay this and gay that, I think relationships among straight men is emotionally and physically stilted."

You're saying American men were much more touchy feely and openly crying, before the gays came out of the closet?

You're so full of ---- you could be Trump's diaper, BillJohnson.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-03 08:18 PM | Reply

"the 80's was simultaneously the gayest and the most homophobic decade"

He's talking about AIDS, BillJohnson.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-03 08:21 PM | Reply

Dan Aykroyd was on Saturday Night Live when he started making fun of Nixon. Chevy Chase's devastating impressional Gerald Ford live actually impacted the Public's perspective of him.

Bush Senior was lampooned so successfully that he actually came on Saturday Night Live.

And how could they not have fun with Bill Clinton?

#23 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-03 08:23 PM | Reply

"Back during during the 80's the big issue for conservatives was abortion, not gays."

Reagan didn't even say the word "AIDS" until 1987.

The big thing for conservatives was doing nothing to fight AIDS, because they felt gays deserve to die.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-03 08:27 PM | Reply

I thought the Cold War and Russia were the big issue in the 80s.

#25 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-03 08:40 PM | Reply

Tor,

The first thing I noticed last night was SNL was speaking to Democrats in Washington to vote on the bill.

#26 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 08:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Tor,

"I thought the Cold War and Russia were the big issue in the 80s."

And...?

There were quite a number of issues.

#27 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 08:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yawnnn...going to bed.

#28 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-03 08:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The structure isn't a Ezekiel Elliott's because there's no free weed of sex to be had by calling for spending on it.

There are however more than 617k bridges across the United States and 42% of them are at least 50 years old.

We either take care of these Bridges now or they will start to collapse.

#29 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-03 08:54 PM | Reply

Let me say that again in proper English LOL

"Infrastructure isn't a sexy topic..."

#30 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-03 09:22 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

"Remember that decade where a bunch of your friends died from AIDS, and Christian Evangelicals said they deserved to die for being gay?"

No...not mainstream conservative Christians.

It was places like Westboro Baptist.

My friends weren't saying that.

#31 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-04 07:14 AM | Reply

Reagan didn't even say the word "AIDS" until 1987.

#24 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Kind of like their Covid responses. I'm seeing a pattern here, but this time they are killing off their own base.

#32 | Posted by a_monson at 2021-10-04 07:21 AM | Reply

Snoofy,

I will say conservative Christians have and do believe homosexual activity is a sin.

But they believe a lot of other things are too. That's goes with the territory.

Your point was AIDS made people say gays deserved to die.

No...they already believed the Bible condemned them long before AIDS.

Again... the Bible talks about many things that are sins and separate man from God and thus why our religion exists.

The extreme views of Westboro did not reflect most conservative Christians.

#33 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-04 07:23 AM | Reply

Tor,

"We either take care of these Bridges now or they will start to collapse."

Tell that to the terrorists holding America hostage.

#34 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-04 08:07 AM | Reply

Tao

I never said homophobia didn't exist in the 80s.

However it was still a topic kept out of polite conversation and conservative Christians weren't galvanized by it like they were abortion.

Homophobia was and is alive and well in the secular community as well as other religions.

It's not a Christian invention.

This thread is going in circles.

Consider me done.

#35 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-04 10:37 AM | Reply

Hey BillJohnson.

Here is what mainstream conservative Christians had to say about AIDS.

"Is AIDS God's punishment for homosexual promiscuity? Rev. Jerry Falwell thinks so."

www.cbc.ca

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-04 11:48 AM | Reply

Snoofy,

I'm not a great Falwell supporter.

The way I see it Reagan and Falwell got all cozy for mutual gain.

Reagan wanted the evangelical support and Falwell wanted political clout.

I've said before religion and politics don't mix well.

Neither function as they should and both compromise themselves.

#37 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-04 07:13 PM | Reply

I'd hope you're a Falwell opponent, but that's beside the point.

Falwell was the loudest and most popular Christian Right voice of the 80s. He was the leader of the self-proclaimed Moral Majority, which was neither.

His job was to say all the things Republicans couldn't say and keep their jobs.

The ---------- marriage you refer to gave birth to Republicans who can say those things and not only keep their jobs, but become President.

If you really don't think these values should be in politics, how in the world are you a conservative? There's no secular consecutive argument against gay marriage. There's no secular or Biblical argument against universal health care.

And when it comes to AIDS and HIV, even the Blind Butcher of Iraq did better than Reagan and Falwell.

Hating gays was front and center on the GOP domestic platform in the 80s. It's how we eventually got DADT... but not until the 90s.

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-04 07:56 PM | Reply

"Have you seen a worse Biden?
POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON "

Yeah - his name is Hunter.

TBH, SNL could just re-enact the stories and videos from Hunter's laptop and it would be comedy gold. But, as they won't touch the Dems, they will continue to be lame 'Orangeman Bad' sketch comedy featuring people that less and less of the US population can recognize.

#39 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-05 02:36 AM | Reply

It's just tired of politics all the time.
#4 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

Considering the amount of time you spend posting on this political website alone, I find this statement to be disingenuous at best.

#40 | Posted by memyselfini at 2021-10-05 09:54 AM | Reply

Tell that to the terrorists holding America hostage.

That would be the Republican party. You know that, right?

#41 | Posted by YAV at 2021-10-05 10:53 AM | Reply

Snoofy,

"I'd hope you're a Falwell opponent"

No...I'm not that either.

Jerry Falwell did end up creating a place where young Christian believers can go to school with like minded people.

#42 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-10-05 08:23 PM | Reply

So did Osama bin Laden.

And they teach pretty much the same thing.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-05 09:37 PM | Reply