Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Parmy Olson: The woman behind Facebook's most damning-ever leak of internal documents has a name: Frances Haugen.

Comments

The cited article is an Op-Ed (forgot to add that to the title)

More from the op-ed...

...Haugen's document dump revealed what many suspected but couldn't prove: that Facebook created more lenient secret rules for elite users, that Instagram made body issues worse for one in three teen girls, and that Facebook knowingly amped up outrage on its main site through an algorithm change in 2018, potentially leading to the Jan. 6 storming of the U.S. Capitol building....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-10-05 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This surprises anyone? I mean look at the origins of Facebook, even if half the stories are exaggerations...

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-10-05 03:38 PM | Reply

has any of zuckerberg's previous testimony to congress been under oath?

It's time to put this closet fascist in timeout.

#3 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-05 03:44 PM | Reply

I have been listening to this interview and the 60 Minutes Overtime. It makes me feel much more hateful toward FB then ever before. I have been saying for years that social media is a detriment to society BUT to have them ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING HATE. I honestly suspected as much, echo chambers are not just a figment of our imagination after all. I look at my feeds then I look at the feeds of friends and it is shocking. I barely use FB. Some heads really need to roll - the societal impacts beyond even the US... The impacts on foreign deployments is even more shocking.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-10-05 04:30 PM | Reply

Facebook got trump elected and trump got a half million americans killed.

Those are a half million americans that would still be alive today if zuckerberg had been smothered in his crib.

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-05 04:52 PM | Reply

#5 The real life Miles Dyson from T2?

#6 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-10-05 05:20 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Great. Now if I go back in time I have to eliminate both Hitler AND Zuckerberg?

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-10-05 09:07 PM | Reply

We have vaccines and are prepared for this winter.

Come spring I doubt many stupid people will be left.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-05 09:22 PM | Reply

Come spring I doubt many stupid people will be left.

It's only 2% fatal. They'll be plenty of stupid people left.

#9 | Posted by YAV at 2021-10-05 09:46 PM | Reply

My thoughs exactly. I'm sure a few of the survivors will learn but I doubt it will be enough to make a dent.

It's hard to leave a cult. There's a reason they call the people who get out "survivors."

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-05 09:57 PM | Reply

"only 2% fatal."

Assume every stupid person this winter will get it and the flu at the same time, that there won't be any room to spare at the hospital, and that covid itself gets twice as dangerous.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-06 11:24 AM | Reply