Saturday, October 09, 2021

A company that is a critical part of the global telecommunications infrastructure used by AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and several others around the world such as Vodafone and China Mobile, quietly disclosed that hackers were inside its systems for years, impacting more than 200 of its clients and potentially millions of cellphone users worldwide.

Comments

Clearly, for the alleged "civilized" world, convenience is more important than privacy.

#1 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-10-09 12:03 PM | Reply

Back in the stone age when I first learned all the ways to communicate it was demonstrated that if I wanted to limit who was privy to something, I must never put it in writing.

Nothing has changed.

People are idiots to expect privacy from their phones.

#2 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-10-09 12:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Didn't Snowden try and warn us about this?

Seems like a republican meme. Why is the govt doing this when private enterprise can do it better?

#3 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-10-09 12:42 PM | Reply

And nothing will emerge that supports qanon bologna.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-09 12:45 PM | Reply

I fought getting a cell phone for years, and most definitely did not want a smart phone.

After I recently fell, causing online friends to again nag me to get a cell phone for emergencies, I broke down and got a small flip phone from Consumer Cellular. It comes with voice only, not text capabilities, and the CC plan costs a bit over eighteen dollar a month.

Reading articles like this one only makes me more positive to never go beyond what I bought to please friends. My Magicjack phone is still my preferred means of talking with long-distant friends and family. I do like my dumb phones. {grinning}

#5 | Posted by Judity at 2021-10-09 02:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The hackers may have the biggest dick pic database on earth.
I wonder if they have been monetizing the content.
Send money or this message goes to your whole contact list...

Smart phones are handy, but don't expect to keep anything secure or private that you use the phone for.

#6 | Posted by bored at 2021-10-09 04:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If you remember the breakup of AT&T...

The American Comedy Network - Breaking Up Is Hard On You
www.youtube.com

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-10-09 06:43 PM | Reply

MAGICJACK? AHAHAHAHAHAHA! oh my god that's funny.

#8 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-09 10:58 PM | Reply

They didn't need to hack AT&T. All they had to do was ask them for it and they would have gotten access to anything they wanted!

Apparently.