Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The phaseout of internet tracking cookies is fundamentally changing political campaigns, which have for years relied on them to narrowly target potential voters across the web.

Comments

More from the article...

...Why it matters: Ad buyers expect the 2022 midterm elections to be the first campaign cycle where connected television (CTV) ads will take a meaningful market share of political spend, in part due to the fact that cookies are being scrapped....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-10-12 11:56 AM | Reply

There are already too many ads on internet tv, without adding the political onslaught to it.

I normally mute them all. I've gotten really really tired of just how many are showing up, not to mention the steady repeat of them. Some channels that are really heavy on the ads, I won't watch due to how many there are.

#2 | Posted by BBQ at 2021-10-12 01:39 PM | Reply

I inadvertently went skiing in Vermont one time during primary season in neighboring New Hampshire. It was enough to make you never want to vote again or watch TV again.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-12 01:55 PM | Reply

@#3 ... It was enough to make you never want to vote again or watch TV again. ...

Funny thing... back in a prior life, I worked in the market research and advertising industry. The people who place those all those ads are really of the opinion that the viewers really want to see advertisements.

Every once in a while I'll see an interview or discussion with advertising people, and they still seem to hold the opinion that the viewers really want to be bombarded with all those advertisements.

I also found out The One Question You Do Not Ask When You Work In The Advertising Industry: does anyone know for sure if advertisements work?

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-10-12 02:16 PM | Reply

does anyone know for sure if advertisements work?
#4 | Posted by LampLighter

Something I've done for a while, is when I go to a store, if that product has bothered me with ads since the last time I was in, I look for another product. If they can afford to advertise, it's not for free. The cost is hidden in the price of the product. You get nothing extra for the price increase, other than the aggravation you had with the commercial.

I wished others did that. If enough people did that so that sales dropped, they might get a hint.

#5 | Posted by BBQ at 2021-10-12 03:55 PM | Reply

uBlock Origin will take care of that.

#6 | Posted by qcp at 2021-10-12 04:54 PM | Reply

"Digital TV Ads Will Flood Living Rooms During 2022 Midterms"

GAWD DAMMIT, I WILL ACTIVELY CAMPAIGN AND VOTE AGAINST WHOEVER SENDS ME THE NEXT "RAID SHADOW LEGENDS" AD.

#7 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2021-10-12 05:02 PM | Reply

uBlock Origin will take care of that.

#6 | Posted by qcp

Yes am aware of it and have it as an add on in my browser. Just can't install it on the tv.

#8 | Posted by BBQ at 2021-10-12 05:23 PM | Reply

One of the many things I love about YouTube TV is that they don't air local commercials. Instead, they play pleasant music during the one or two that are airing on local channels. It's refreshing not to have to listen to endless commercials for car dealerships, personal injury lawyers, and political candidates during election season too.

#9 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-10-13 01:37 AM | Reply

Whoah... I thought they already were... daaaaaaaang.

#10 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-10-13 12:43 PM | Reply