Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Nevertheless, the Altadena resident received a strange letter from Spectrum saying that, "as a one-time courtesy," the company will cancel debt it claims he owes and stop reporting him as a deadbeat to credit agencies -- if he agrees to resume cable service.

Comments

More from the article...

...A Spectrum spokesperson confirmed the letter's authenticity and called it "an opportunity to reconnect" with the cable company. Spectrum partners with the Los Angeles Times on a nightly TV show....

Like me, [Spectrum ex-customer] Schklair took that as a not-so-veiled warning that the company will make things rough for him unless he plays ball.

"It seems like corporate blackmail," he said. "The letter is filled with real and implied threats."

I asked if he owes Spectrum any money.

"No," Schklair replied. "It's been years since I was their customer, and they've never said anything about my not paying any bills."

No notices of missed payments?

"No."

No warnings about adverse reports to credit agencies?

"No, nothing like that."

Yet Spectrum's letter explicitly says that if he resumes cable service, the company will "cease reporting" Schklair's "prior debt" to credit agencies. That wording implies Spectrum has already submitted such reports....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-10-13 11:53 AM | Reply

Corporations are the worst thing about modern life.

No accountability, that's the whole point of their existence. Now they're "people" too. With no real existence,They cover for the very real criminals that own and operate them. Worst idea in history. Just a way to evade legal sanctions when crimes and pollution occur.

Corporate law is a travesty. These cabals should be destroyed. Money be damned. Make the real players accountable for their crimes.

#2 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-10-13 02:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't need to borrow money at my age. Sometimes I have contemplated blowing up my credit score to reduce the chances identity theft will saddle me with a debt I didn't incur. If I ever needed to borrow money I am sure I could get all the money I need from Russians if I promise to launder their money.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2021-10-14 12:01 AM | Reply

"Sometimes I have contemplated blowing up my credit score to reduce the chances identity theft will saddle me with a debt I didn't incur."

Better yet: freeze your credit. It's $5/person/agency, so fifteen bucks per person for Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion will keep anyone from opening an account in your name. You will probably have to "unfreeze" it (same fees) if you want credit at some point, but the bride & I didn't have to when we bought a new car during the pandemic, so YMMV.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-14 03:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

DANFORTH

" freeze your credit."

That's the smartest way to go. I thought about it myself but opted to set up a "Grantor Trust" with it's own EIN as a receptacle all my liquid assets in a savings account. I only transfer what I need for the month to my checking account that does not require a minimum balance.

At my age credit is the least of my concerns. I'm more concerned about protecting my assets in case of identity theft. My guiding principal, of course, is "You can't sue (or attach) a Trust."

#5 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-10-14 06:49 AM | Reply

Same thing happened to me with AT&T. A few years after I moved to SC I get a bill referencing my old address in GA for $450. The thing is I never had any service with AT&T.

#6 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-10-14 10:05 AM | Reply

The same happened to me when I moved from Michigan to Texas...
I closed my ATT account paid all my bills......2 yrs later I
got a bill for $19.99. I paid it....big mistake!! After that,
I kept getting a monthly bill for the same amount.....It took me
5 months to straighten that out......what a bunch of thieves!!

#7 | Posted by saginawmi at 2021-10-14 11:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I've never before seen a pitch that so blatantly threatens harm unless you come around."

Apparently someone hasn't been watching the news or reading anything online. BLM and supporting Dems have been threatening harm against the entire country and a specific race for over a year now. There is PLENTY of reality-based evidence of this so it can't be denied. You can whine about it all you want but that doesn't change the fact it is the truth.

#8 | Posted by humtake at 2021-10-14 12:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#8 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE AT 2021-10-14 12:53 PM | REPLY

They haven't tried to extort money out of me by threatening to ruin my credit and that's what this story is talking about.

#9 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-10-14 01:01 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE AT 2021-10-14 12:53 PM | REPLY

So drunk so early on a Thursday. But hey, you do you.

#10 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-10-14 03:06 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-10-14 10:05 AM | Reply | Flag

They know that a good number of people will give up after being lost in automated attendant voice mail systems or going round and round with department after department for hours and just pay it to keep out modern day debtors prison of credit scores which effect everything from car insurance rates to credit cards.

When mom was alive she got a phone bill from Verizon....normally it was $40 a month. This month it was $800. I looked at the detail and under third party charges was $760 for some undecipherable charge, but there was a phone number....so I called it....got an automated message telling me to call another number for customer service...called that...it directed me back to the first number. One was in NV the other in FL. Pressed 0 to get a live human, sent me to voice mail in both locations with a message the mailbox was full.

Googled the number, they were crammers...the push a small charge through a couple of months to see if the person complain then bam hits them with huge monthly charges. The previous two months had charges of less than a dime.

The good news is that Verizon was helpful, they removed the charges off their phone bill. They told me the third party could still send their own bill in the mail but they never did.

Spectrum is approaching crammer status.

#11 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-10-14 03:18 PM | Reply