Tuesday, October 19, 2021

At a diversity and inclusion conference last week, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor said that part of the reason the court had to change the format of its oral arguments was that female justices kept getting interrupted by men.

Comments

I see this all the time here in the Courthouse. It is phenomena that once you become aware of is really obvious on a regular basis. I frequently have to bite my tongue and remind myself to wait until a woman has finished talking before jumping in. I do not understand the psychology behind feeling eager and entitled to cut women off in a professional setting. But it is very real.

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-19 02:17 PM | Reply

I was watching First Take on ESPN with Stephen A. Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, and a female moderator. I felt really really bad for her. She seemed to know her ----, but every time she would start talking, one of the men would interrupt her and take over her point.

Johnson was even putting his hands out, palms down almost seemingly in attempt to physically shush her. More power to her trying to control a conversation between those two clowns, but it was still blatant.

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-10-19 03:21 PM | Reply

Does she explain how she got so far if she's so commonly treated this way?

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-19 03:54 PM | Reply

To be fair, Key talks over EVERYBODY.

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-19 04:08 PM | Reply

" Does she explain how she got so far if she's so commonly treated this way?"

She tried, but ... .

#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-19 04:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It is unfortunate but I think America is such a male dominated culture that in spite of our global economic strength we remain one of the most chauvinistic nations on Earth. Heck, even medieval Islamic Pakistan has had a female chief executive. So has Britain, Germany and much of the rest of the world. But here in the US, when a woman does run for the highest office she is bombarded with sexist attacks from all sides. Personally, if Kamala Harris ever does run for POTUS I believe her gender will hurt among voters more than her race. Americans like to keep women "in their place".

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-19 04:34 PM | Reply

wth, really?
I've been interrupted by women on the job many times. NEVER have I thought to call it "femterruptions" or something equally ridiculous.
The ultra-woke need to get over themselves.

#7 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-10-19 05:05 PM | Reply

Ever hear what happens when a bunch of men are around? Manterruptions are the norm.

As one stage director astutely put it, "They all fight for the same air."

#8 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-19 05:20 PM | Reply

#7, many of them are aware of how hypocritical it is and are just doing to troll in the same vein as some of the PETA campaigns. Even if it ends up costing some elections, at least they had their spits and giggles.

#9 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-19 05:30 PM | Reply

Others actually, seriously try to justify this pathetic, sexist behavior.

#10 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-19 05:32 PM | Reply

The irony that so many men here are completely unaware of something that they themselves are probably guilty of all the time is very amusing to me. There is a complete lack of self awareness.

#11 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-19 05:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 | Posted by moder8

I work in an environment where speed and efficiency are critical. If someone is rambling and stumbling to make their point, I often spit out a summary of what they're saying to help them get to the point and wrap it up. If I can get your point from the first half of your sentence, I'll provide the ending for you and move on.

I do this to men and women, but only one of those groups will say its sexist when it happens.

#12 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-19 05:58 PM | Reply

Manspreading, mansplaining, now manterruptions. We get it. Men are evil. That messaging will really help liberals win elections wont it.

#13 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-19 05:59 PM | Reply

This issue is not about winning elections. It is about people getting along together in a work environment and feeling respected. Not everything is a political issue.

#14 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-19 06:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | Posted by moder8

No this is about groups crying "racism" "misogyny" or "oppression" when there is none, which hurts liberals in elections. The 21st century has turned into the victimhood olympics and every group wants to complain about how everything is unfair for them, and everyone wants to score wokeness points by pointing to and accusing someone else of oppressing them. As if getting likes on twitter helps win elections, when in fact it's often the opposite.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-19 06:14 PM | Reply

Knock Knock -

Who's th...

Man

Man inter...

Man interruption

#16 | Posted by mattm at 2021-10-19 06:15 PM | Reply

Joe Scarborough does it to Mika all the time. If I was her I'd slap him across the nose with a newspaper. He's so rude I finally stopped watching the show.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-10-19 06:16 PM | Reply

well, that didn't work.

Need to work on my knock knock jokes

#18 | Posted by mattm at 2021-10-19 06:20 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2021-10-19 05:58 PM | REPLY | FLAG:PPPFFFTTTT

Liar

#19 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-10-20 04:36 AM | Reply

I've been spoke over by know it alls from both genders. Stats will say that men do it more though. Do men need to change? or do women need to learn to be more aggressive?

I suppose the stats say that women who speak more are viewed as less competent. I wonder if this would hold true if women as a whole in the workforce asserted more.

I just don't see eliminating assertiveness.

#20 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-10-20 10:27 AM | Reply

Interrupting a person while they are speaking is not assertiveness. It is rudeness. Only in a world of self-important boy-men is being discourteous considered a sign of being an alpha.

#21 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-20 11:37 AM | Reply

"During the 2020 vice presidential debate, Kamala Harris famously had to insist, "Mr. Vice President, I am speaking" when she was interrupted by Mike Pence (he interrupted her 10 times during the debate -- twice as many times as she interrupted him)."

So women interrupt men but since they don't do it as often, it's a sexist issue. If interrupting is bad, you make the whole issue bad and call out those who do it. You don't use a person who also does what you are saying is wrong as any kind of evidence or anecdote to make a case. This is an absurdly simple concept to understand.

Interruptions in political debates go back to the first debate I can ever remember watching. And it has been bad ever since. Using Trump to make the point or any Reps at all because you don't like them and infer anyone who has a different opinion than you should be treated differently than your own side only makes the author look stupid.

#22 | Posted by humtake at 2021-10-20 11:42 AM | Reply

I remember watching this back around 2000 when I was in 4th grade. Best way to learn something is to make it funny. (By the way, Papa Bear manterrupts Mama Bear at 6:27)

The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners

#23 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-10-20 12:06 PM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE AT 2021-10-20 11:42 AM | FLAG: SOVIET INCEL

#24 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-20 02:00 PM | Reply

Knock Knock

Who's...

The Interrupting Cow.

#25 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-20 02:03 PM | Reply

Does your cow identify as a man, or is it heteronormative?

#26 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-20 05:26 PM | Reply

How dare she talk to the jockriarchy?

That is why sports is almost unwatchable these days...the prevalence of CTE laden ex jocks mansplaining the simplest things while simultaneously saying nothing. The perfect highlight for this was how Booger McFarland memed himself by saying something so stupid he lost his side line gig on Monday Night Football after drawing an image on a play that resembled a penis.

Worse still is on field post game interviews...these say exactly nothing. I much prefer watching Bill Belicheck and his non-answers to hard questions..... "Coach are you concerned about playing against Tom Brady this week?".....No.

"But you guys have over twenty years of history playing together."...... Yes.

The best is the Manning cast on Monday Night Football...just two brothers talking football explaining plays in real time and yuckking it up with guests without the need to explain every yard gained. The best was Eli giving America the double finger without realizing there wasn't a way for them to blur out the fingers in real time.

#27 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-10-21 08:05 AM | Reply

27 | POSTED BY NIXON

The weekday shows are rough to watch or listen to. The Mannings is excellent, any game with Tony Romo is great, and Redzone is another quality venue for football.

#28 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-10-21 08:16 AM | Reply

Perhaps they can't hear us because their brains are deformed.
leventschool.com

#29 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-10-21 08:40 AM | Reply

I used to work with someone like this. Every time someone started talking he would talk over them until they stopped. His voice was loud enough that it worked almost every time until one time he started doing it to a client and the client got annoyed enough and told him to shut up until he finished asking the question.

It was a win-win as the client dropped him as the point of contact and started calling me directly and I got to see the coworker turn bright red in anger.

#30 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-10-21 10:52 AM | Reply

"Does your cow identify as a man, or is it heteronormative?"

#26 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Looking for a date?

#31 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-21 12:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#27 | POSTED BY NIXON

Most over-used phrase of the year so far "He put his foot in the ground".

Yeah no sh$t, what's he supposed to do, fly?

#32 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-21 12:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#32 "Now here's a guy...."

#33 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-10-21 01:44 PM | Reply