Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Dozens of researchers tell Nature they have received death threats, or threats of physical or sexual violence.

Comments

More from the article...

...Infectious-diseases physician Krutika Kuppalli had been in her new job for barely a week in September 2020, when someone phoned her at home and threatened to kill her.

Kuppalli, who had just moved from California to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, had been dealing with online abuse for months after she'd given high-profile media interviews on COVID-19, and had recently testified to a US congressional committee on how to hold safe elections during the pandemic. But the phone call was a scary escalation. "It made me very anxious, nervous and upset," says Kuppalli, who now works at the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland.

She called the police, but didn't hear that they took any action. The threatening e-mails, calls and online comments continued. The police officer who visited Kuppalli after a second death-threat call suggested she should get herself a gun.

Kuppalli's experience during the pandemic is not uncommon. A survey by Nature of more than 300 scientists who have given media interviews about COVID-19 -- many of whom had also commented about the pandemic on social media -- has found wide experience of harassment or abuse; 15% said they had received death threats (see Negative impacts')....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-10-19 02:24 PM | Reply

Republicants are gutless cowards.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-19 02:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The funny part is the people dying are MAGAts. Haha!

#3 | Posted by bored at 2021-10-19 03:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The funny part is the people dying are MAGAts."

#3 | POSTED BY BORED

You'd think that would matter, wouldn't you?

But Trump doesn't need their vote. Screw elections. He's betting everything on being appointed in 2024. Whether or not that happens is in the hands of the U.S. Supreme Court.

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-10-20 12:04 PM | Reply

#3 The death of Colin Powell underscores just how dangerous it is to people who aren't MAGAts but still have an impaired immune system.

The guy pissed off the Orange Snowflake so much that he had to issue a completely tacky statement attacking him on the day he died like the petulant child he is.

I am saving a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year for the day that piece of crap assumes room temperature.

#5 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-10-20 12:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"Deplorables"? Hillary was being kind.

#6 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2021-10-20 12:30 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#4 Good point. I can only hope that Covid takes out enough MAGAts to flip state races so the GQP won't be able to fraudulently claim victory.

#7 | Posted by bored at 2021-10-20 12:46 PM | Reply

Conservatives get wished death upon on this site daily..

Suck it up

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2021-10-20 12:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 3 | Newsworthy 1

"Conservatives get wished death upon on this site daily"

By themselves, and other conservatives, who refuse to wear masks and get vaccinated.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-20 12:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Conservatives get wished death upon on this site daily.
Suck it up
#8 | POSTED BY BOAZ

No one has to wish death upon science denying MAGAts. They are bringing it upon themselves on their own.
Tell us how you feel about the people making death threats against scientists, public health officials and election officials.

#10 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-10-20 01:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Conservatives get wished death upon on this site daily..
Suck it up

#8 | POSTED BY BOAZ

No the don't you poor little snowflake.

Pointing and laughing at idiots dying from COVID when they don't have to isn't wishing them death.

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-20 01:31 PM | Reply

Boaz, you are lying when you say that liberals and progressives wish death upon you on a daily basis. In fact, best I can tell, the only person liberals and progressives wish would die sooner as opposed to later is Donald Trump. Do not lie or exaggerate when making such serious accusations.

#12 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-20 01:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

I'd trade Trump to have Powell back any day of the week.

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-10-20 02:57 PM | Reply

"Conservatives get wished death upon on this site daily"

There aren't any conservatives on this site. You may be the closest, but that's like saying a retrograde, trans-Neptunian object tumbling end-over-end 10 billion miles away is close to the Earth because it too also orbits the sun.

#14 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-10-20 03:02 PM | Reply

"Boaz, you are lying when you say that liberals and progressives wish death upon you on a daily basis.
#12 | POSTED BY MODER8"

I get a wish for my death on this board at least once a week. The most I have wished on a liberal is that they grow up and actually be productive - which they may deem worse than death. That, and I find Squirts Danfroth's fear of soiling his white pantsuit worthy of laughing about. But, no wishes of death like on the Left.

#15 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-20 07:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

you're a liar.

#16 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-10-20 07:51 PM | Reply

#16 One trend I've observed on this site -

At least a once daily posting about someone who wasn't vaccinated, died of COVID and several site members back-slap each other and spit on the grave of the deceased.

Wash - rinse - repeat

#17 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-10-20 08:02 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The Virginia State Police confirmed on Wednesday they are investigating a death threat made Tuesday against gubernatorial candidate and former Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D).
Due to the threat, McAuliffe was assigned protection at an event in Charlottesville on Wednesday. Gubernatorial candidates do not normally receive security in Virginia.

The Hill obtained a copy of the emailed threat, which read, "If I get the opportunity I will shoot Terry! MAGA."

A spokesperson from McAuliffe's campaign said in a statement, "This is the type of violent, dangerous behavior we've come to expect from supporters of Donald Trump."

thehill.com

Another day, another death threat from Trump filth.

#18 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2021-10-20 08:12 PM | Reply

"you're a liar.
#16 | POSTED BY ALEXANDRITE"

Just so there is no gray area arguments, I will paste one of the comments directed towards me in recent days. I get many more subtle but I wanted to paste an example so clear that even you Leftist water carriers cannot deny the meaning of the words:

"#29 | Posted by Skeptical
I'd be happy to buy you a lethal dose of any of those drugs.
I'd want to watch you die painfully, as a condition of paying for your execution.
#30 | POSTED BY BILLY_BOY AT 2021-10-02 09:59 PM"

Now - do you really want to continue to claim your side does not actively wish death upon people you disagree with? Do you want to claim you don't do a little happy dance every time someone that disagrees with you dies?

I will note also - NOT A SINGLE LEFTIST said -------- to Bill_Boy after he posted this. So, go cry to someone else when you get you fee-fees hurt by some mean conservative telling you to get a job and be productive for once in your life.

#19 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-20 08:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#19 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

Oh, so you're a mean person.

No surprise there!

Is it your fault that you are mean, or did liberals make you mad?

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-20 09:38 PM | Reply

"Now - do you really want to continue to claim your side does not actively wish death upon people you disagree with?"

You wish death on everyone, by opposing mask mandates and vaccine mandates.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-20 09:43 PM | Reply

"#21 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

No Snoofy - I wish you freedom, not death. You may consider your basement bunker dwelling life as 'living' - but most Americans don't. We would choose freedom with the possibility of death over that existence. Same way our forefathers did when they chose to fight the English rather than live under their yoke.

#22 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-20 09:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

"We would choose freedom with the possibility of death"

Death is inevitable.

And death is more likely when people adopt your anti mask, anti vaxx agenda.

Your freedom is measured in death.

Just like the Second Amendment.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-20 09:56 PM | Reply

"Your freedom is measured in death.
#23 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

As it has been since time immemorial...

You are just awakening to that fact now?

#24 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-20 09:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Death from COVID-19 is not inevitable.

But it becomes more likely when you oppose mask mandates and vaccine mandates.

You know this, yet you still oppose mandates.

Ergo, you wish death on us all.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-20 10:01 PM | Reply

"Death from COVID-19 is not inevitable.
But it becomes more likely when you oppose mask mandates and vaccine mandates.
#25 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

More likely, but still VERY unlikely if you are under 60 and in good health. People have dominion over their bodies and should be able to decide if they want to assume the risk. That is freedom.

If you are afraid, you are able to shelter in your basement bunker - that is your freedom.

#26 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-20 10:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

" VERY unlikely if you are under 60 and in good health."

#27 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-20 11:22 PM | Reply

"That reminds me of clients who ask their chances of audit. I point out when it's them, 100%.
#27 | POSTED BY DANFORTH "

That just goes to show that people that have money should not rely on the H&R Block seasonal help to file their taxes. Especially ones not trained/certified in accounting like yourself.

#28 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 01:02 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"people that have money should not rely on the H&R Block seasonal help to file their taxes."

I couldn't agree more. They should rely on folks with almost four decades of experience, designated a Subject Matter Expert by their home state.

#29 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 01:29 AM | Reply

"People have dominion over their bodies and should be able to decide if they want to assume the risk."

People who only consider their own risk are either sociopaths, or selfish morons.

And truth be told, the vast majority of those idiots couldn't define asymptomatic contagion.

#30 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 01:31 AM | Reply

"designated a Subject Matter Expert by their home state.
#29 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH"

Squirts, you have a CPA? How about a CFA?...I think you need a college degree for either of those so I am going to assume you don't have either.

#31 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 01:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Squirts"

For those wondering, this poster is still ashamed at being caught in a bald-faced lie about ivermectin. He claimed it had "no known side effects", and I quickly linked to a website referencing several known side effects, starting with diarrhea, and progressing to severe allergic reactions, seizures, and loss of consciousness, which any knowledgeable doctor will tell you is life-threatening.

He's clearly so ashamed at being caught, he's decided to deflect to the person who exposed his lie, deny any possible severe effects, and refuse to admit he was lying. Of course, this is SOP for this poster:

He lied about Uttar Pradesh, and it's vaccination rate.
He lied about numbers of vaccinated, because he couldn't understand...well...commas.
He lied about deaths "as a result of" the vaccine, despite the website he cited warning against similar idiots.

If he wants to keep reminding you of his dishonest nature, I will too.

#32 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 01:46 AM | Reply

"I am going to assume..."

We've been through this before, idiot. You have no bona fides, and never did.

#33 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 01:48 AM | Reply

"We've been through this before, idiot. You have no bona fides, and never did.
#33 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH"

We are talking about your here Squirts as you are holding yourself as an expert and not as seasonal help. Do you have a CPA or CFA?

#34 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 01:55 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"you are holding yourself as an expert"

No, actually I was informed of the designation by folks in the state University system who wanted me to lecture.

Your turn: what are your bona fides? Do you need a definition before you begin?

#35 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 02:00 AM | Reply

"SQUIRTS"

Once again, Skeptical wants me to remind you he's an inveterate liar, and any post of his shouldn't be trusted for validity or truth.

Plus, if he gets caught in a lie, he'll blame the guy who caught him, while refusing to admit he was lying.

You've been warned, gentle reader....

#36 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 02:04 AM | Reply

"actually I was informed of the designation by folks in the state University system who wanted me to lecture.
Your turn: what are your bona fides? Do you need a definition before you begin?
#35 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH"

So that is a NO, you do not have a CPA
So that is a NO, you do not have a CFA

Got it. Seems the only letters after your name are GED.

For myself, I have both an undergrad and graduate degree along with a professional designation and 2x certified as a technology expert. So, if you want to take your dick measuring to wireless networks or haptics technology, let me know. Further, I have been at the CEO or DCEO for the last 8 year across multiple companies.

So, yeah - you are the seasonal help.

#37 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 02:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

" Seems the only letters after your name are GED."

Seems the liar is lying again.

"For myself, I have both an undergrad and graduate degree"

Riiight. From Trump U, or Dunning-Kruger?

"you are the seasonal help."

Yep. At $150 an hour, here in the off-season.

#38 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:04 AM | Reply

"along with a professional designation and 2x certified as a technology expert."

Bwahahahaha!

You can't even do fractions or commas.

Tell us: who did you prefer: Dunning, or Kruger?

#39 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:06 AM | Reply

"Yep. At $150 an hour, here in the off-season."

Again, do you have a CPA?
Do you have a CFA?

I think the last time you made $150 in an hour was when you were trying to auction off your butt cherry at the San Fran bathhouse.

"But since I have your attention: does ivermectin have "no known side effects" as you claimed, or were you lying when you claimed that?
#38 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH"

Compared to death from covid or the vaccines? No, not really. People don't die from it - just get the squirts if they take too much.

#40 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 03:12 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Tell us: who did you prefer: Dunning, or Kruger?
#39 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH"

Yeah....I don't think that is going to stick. It just doesn't have the appeal of Squirts.

#41 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 03:13 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I think the last time you made $150 in an hour was..."

This evening, counseling someone who just inherited ~$2.6 million.

"Compared to death from covid or the vaccines"

No, compared to what YOU claimed: "no known side effects". Did you know you were lying then, or just too stupid to do research before shooting off your mouth?

"People don't die from it - just get the squirts"

Or severe allergic reactions. Or seizures. Or loss of consciousness. You know...all the symptoms you pretend don'e exist, because they make your statement look even worse.

"SQUIRTS"

Why anyone would want to continue to refer to a time he got caught making a bald-faced lie is beyond me, but don't let me stop you. As long as you keep reminding folks you're a POS liar, I will too.

Hey, while I have your attention: have you learned the meaning of "as a result of" yet? You claimed over 8,160 folks had died "as a result of" the vaccine, when the website you linked debunked you.

#42 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:22 AM | Reply

Skeptical is one dumb, gullible mother******!

#43 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-10-21 03:23 AM | Reply

"It just doesn't have the appeal of Squirts."

I'm sure you're the expert. It seems to be what your mouth is best at.

Wait...Have you taken ivermectin???

#44 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:23 AM | Reply

"This evening, counseling someone who just inherited ~$2.6 million.
#42 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH"

So, again - CPA, CFA?

You don't have, correct?

#45 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 03:28 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"You don't have, correct?"

I don't need them to command my rates.

Nice try, though, at setting up worthless goalposts.

#46 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:34 AM | Reply

"I am sure that you will prove the old axiom "How do you make a small fortune? Start with a big one" correct with your sage advice."

Actually, we're thinking of ways to leverage it into $7.8MM eventually. I also gave her advice on how to save thousands in taxes for her mom. Yesterday, I saved a guy $30,000.

But feel free to announce your alma mater.

#47 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:36 AM | Reply

"I don't need them to command my rates.
#46 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH, GED"

LOL. Squirts Danfroth, GED don't need no stinking accreditation to sell his butt cherry for $25/go.

Just go ahead and admit that you don't have a CPA, you don't have a CFA, you don't even have a college degree. If it truly did not bother you, you would not do all the deflection.

#48 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 03:42 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Just go ahead and admit that you don't..."

I never wanted a CPA; I don't want to do what CPAs do. I never needed a CFA, I already do everything a CFA can do.

Why the stupid meaningless goalposts? Do you have a PhD in your field?

"Squirts"

Okay, I'll remind folks again: Skeptical here doesn't know the difference between 7.4 million and 74 million, because, well...he has a problem with commas. But armed with that 7.4 million number, he pranced around claiming Uttar Pradesh had zero Covid infections, despite a vax rate less than 10%. Of course (no surprise here) he completely misread the stats, and misunderstood the article, and it turned out UP had the HIGHEST rates of C-19 vaccines in India. Skeptical's claimed vax rate was ~370% off the truth. Moral of the story: Skeptical will lie about anything, and if proven wrong, will double down on stupid.

#49 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:53 AM | Reply

"you don't even have a college degree."

Gee, another lie.

I have a degree in performing arts, and earned pensions for stage work (AEA) and commercial/TV/Film work (AFTRA).

Tell me: why is your first go-to a lie? Is that a choice, or are you compulsive?

#50 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 03:57 AM | Reply

"#49 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH, GED"

Squirts, just admit that you are a part of the uneducated, unwashed masses.

As for a CFA, it probably would have helped you know what a Market Cap is and how it is calculated to avoid you from giving stock advice when you have no idea what a stock price actually represents like you did in the past. You do remember that beating, right?

#51 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 03:59 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"You do remember that beating, right?"

Who were you? I might remember if you remind me.

#52 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:00 AM | Reply

"Squirts"

Gosh, you're making me do it again.

Let's see, another lie: you swore Trump was going to win last November, with 25% of the black vote.

Remember that beating?

#53 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:01 AM | Reply

"it probably would have helped you know what a Market Cap is and how it is calculated to avoid you from giving stock advice when you have no idea what a stock price actually represents like you did in the past"

Nope, never did that. You've clearly got me confused with someone else.

#54 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:02 AM | Reply

"just admit that you are a part of the ... unwashed masses."

Oh, that's me alright. My own boss for 34 years now. Work 4 months out of the year, vacation the rest. Bride just retired early.

Please God, keep me unwashed!

#55 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:05 AM | Reply

"Nope, never did that. You've clearly got me confused with someone else.
#54 | POSTED BY "Squirts" DANFROTH, GED"

I will never forget good ole Squirts. It was a few years ago so I am sure you have tried to push down that painful memory but I never forget.

#56 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 04:05 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"uneducated"

Nah, can't really cop to that one.

Skipped a grade, was offered to skip another, and in a program to skip a third, but chose a Conservatory program instead.

#57 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:07 AM | Reply

"It was a few years ago"

Sorry pal. Never happened.

If you remind me who you were posting as back then, it might jar my memory. Until then, it's just another lie from an inveterate liar.

#58 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:08 AM | Reply

"Squirts."

Translation: I got caught in a lie about ivermectin, and as punishment Danforth makes me call him Squirts, to remind everyone about the lies I squirt from my piehole.

I like it!

#59 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:10 AM | Reply

"My own boss for 34 years now.
#55 | POSTED BY DANFORTH"

So you know what it is like to work for a fool. Snoofy is also his own boss - well, so long as mom doesn't need to do a load of laundry and invades his basement bunker. But, let's do some quick math just for giggles. As seasonal help, about 4 months a year makes sense. At your $150 rate, that gives you a whopping $100K a year in income with no benefits and all the self-employed taxes coming out of your end. Seems like you should have stayed working for someone smarter/more capable than yourself.

#60 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 04:10 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"So you know what it is like to work for a fool."

Yeah, and he touches me in strange places, too.

"well, so long as mom doesn't need to do a load of laundry"

I doubt that; she's been dead for almost 30 years. But wow, aren't you original with the mom-basement reference!

"At your $150 rate, that gives you a whopping $100K a year in income"

That's just one of our sources of income, idiot. Paid-off mortgages are sweet, too.

"Seems like you should have stayed working for someone smarter/more capable than yourself."

#61 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:22 AM | Reply

"As seasonal help, about 4 months a year makes sense"

As my own boss, 8 months a year of vacation makes even more sense.

#62 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:23 AM | Reply

"Seems like calling my own shots for decades is my idea of wealth. How many days a year do you work?
#61 | POSTED BY SQUIRTS DANFROTH, GED "

I work all year because I intend to leave a legacy behind. You are happy to live one step above the street junkies and consider yourself successful in comparison. As it stands now, I could buy you 10x over and still have money to spare. I will up that to about 20x and then maybe I will consider resting.

#63 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 04:34 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

" I work all year because I intend to leave a legacy behind."

I've already got my legacy in place.

Meanwhile, I get 8 months more vacation than you every year, and when I do work, it's on my own times and my own terms. I wouldn't trade it for a 365-day-a-year job working for someone else if my life depended on it.

" As it stands now, I could buy you 10x over and still have money to spare."

As it stands, you also claimed Trump would win last November with 25% of the black vote.

Both claims are laughable.

#64 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 04:42 AM | Reply

"I have a degree in performing arts"

You can get a degree in performing arts?

From an actual college?

And people trust you with their money?

#65 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 04:55 AM | Reply

""I have a degree in performing arts"
You can get a degree in performing arts?"

"www.theclownschool.com" - I think he was a classmate of Steve-O.

"And people trust you with their money?
#65 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER"

Only in internet pretend land. I said previously that these guys have no money and every time they talk about money, investing, etc - it just further proves that point. I ---- you not, a few years back Squirts did not know the concept of a market cap - all he knew was stock price. So, he thought a company with a higher share price was larger than one with a smaller share price. If I remember correctly, he was comparing the price of 2 automakers without even a hint that the float matters. They are all illiterates cosplaying as normal, function people with most failing miserably.

#66 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 05:05 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Well...in all fairness I have a BSBA and an MBA, and I couldn't invest my way out of a wet paper sack.

My kids have done better on their investments than I have.

#67 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 05:29 AM | Reply

Danforth may be doing a bit of cosplay...the rest are more than willing to keep believing that the concept of economics is nothing more than a sham concocted by the reactionary bourgeoise to oppress the proletariat.

#68 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 05:31 AM | Reply

Pretty much every major university (including Harvard and Yale, for example) offers degrees (including advanced degrees e.g., MFA). Education is supposed to be about learning for a better life, not a better job. Corporate America decided a degree was a great filter for hiring people who will do what is asked of them and get their work in on time.

#69 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2021-10-21 05:51 AM | Reply

Life is about more than money (and guns).

#70 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2021-10-21 05:52 AM | Reply

"Education is supposed to be about learning for a better life, not a better job.
#69 | POSTED BY WHODAMAN"

#71 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 06:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have no problem with conservative thinking. It is when politics become religious- when one side can do no wrong for the country. Those are the fools I hope can change. Your political party is not your identity. It is not a religion. Your faith has nothing to do with it.

I understand their frustration but not their ignorance.

#72 | Posted by Brennnn at 2021-10-21 06:54 AM | Reply

I have a problem with their rejection of the idea that there is an objective, falsifiable reality. They want to just make it up as they go along, in pursuit of power.

#73 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2021-10-21 07:04 AM | Reply

" If I remember correctly, he was comparing the price of 2 automakers without even a hint that the float matters."

You clearly don't remember correctly.

As usual, you're just making up lies. If I ever compared automakers, it was how Ford had the same Union contract and didn't need a bailout, while Chevy and Chrysler did, which exposes bed management.

Nothing about a float, at all. Ever.

#74 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 09:15 AM | Reply

"You can get a degree in performing arts?"

Yes! Pensions, too. Thank God for Unions.

"And people trust you with their money?"

Billions.

#75 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 09:17 AM | Reply

You can get a degree in performing arts?
circus.fsu.edu

Go ... noles

#76 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-10-21 09:21 AM | Reply

"So, he thought a company with a higher share price was larger than one with a smaller share price."

More lies.

I never said that, and I never would. Dumb on its face.

At least try a believable lie next time.

#77 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 09:29 AM | Reply

"Danforth may be doing a bit of cosplay"

Wearing the costume, but not inhabiting the role? Hardly.

#78 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 09:39 AM | Reply

Poor Stoogical, sitting in his car outside the Starbucks just to get a wifi signal. Tsk tsk.

#79 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-21 09:40 AM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

While imposing vaccination mandates on the Continental Army?

Jesus you're stupid.

#80 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-21 10:53 AM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

Selfish, reckless disregard for anyone but yourself isn't freedom.

Nor is the rest of society required to respect your selfish, reckless disregard for anyone but yourself. Don't like businesses not allowing you in? Don't be a selfish -------. Be the man you claim you are and accept the consequences of your freedumz.

#81 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-21 10:55 AM | Reply

LOL sure.

Let's say for the sake of argument that this is true, all it proves is that being a "businessman" isn't by any means an indication of intelligence.

In fact, your case argues one can be a waterhead and still do fine LOL.

#82 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-21 10:58 AM | Reply

#63 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

A legacy of being a miserable piece of ----...

IF what you say is true, you only prove the old axiom that money doesn't buy happiness.

#83 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-21 11:02 AM | Reply

#63 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

This is something a wannabe rich person stuck in lower middle class would write.

#84 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-10-21 12:26 PM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

Exposing others to a disease doesn't make you courageous idiot, it makes you a sociopath.

Anti vaxxers make believe their choice is made out of manly courage, when in fact they're just -------, scared of masks and needles.

#85 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-21 01:08 PM | Reply

#56 | Posted by Skeptical

Funny how you're claiming victory but you're the one who had to get a new username after that.

#86 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-21 01:10 PM | Reply

" I could buy you 10x over and still have money to spare."

What's your math on that one, Sparky? Actual math, not Skeptical math.

#87 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 01:16 PM | Reply

#88 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-21 01:27 PM | Reply

" I could buy you 10x over and still have money to spare."

A lion doesn't have to tell you it's a lion.

#89 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-10-21 01:32 PM | Reply

"Well, it's no trick to make a lot of money... if all you want to do is make a lot of money."
~Bernstein, Citizen Kane

#90 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 01:34 PM | Reply

"A lion doesn't have to tell you it's a lion."

Whereas a liar ... .

#91 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 01:35 PM | Reply

"I could buy you 10x over"

I think someone has a crush on you.

#92 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-21 01:50 PM | Reply

#68 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

That's certainly an apt description of your economics!

#93 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-21 02:01 PM | Reply

#68 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Economics is a thing that existed the moment a monkey traded seashells for a some lizard meat.

It's not a conspiracy that "economics" exists. But morons like you think anything they dont understand is some sort of dark conspiracy.

#94 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-21 02:51 PM | Reply

"Selfish, reckless disregard for anyone but yourself isn't freedom."

Should he not drive because he might accidentally hit someone? Or someone might hit him.

Your obsession with obligatory vaccinations is irrational. I suspect it is an exercise in authoritarianism. I don't think you could ever justify mandatory vaccines for anyone, but there are 43 million Americans who have had and recovered from COVID...and there is no reason that many of them need to be vaccinated. In fact in Europe, having had and recovered from COVID is regarded as the equivalent of having been vaccinated. You get a card from your doctor stating as much.

And COVID is also not that much of a threat to society writ-large. If you can justify limiting individual choice for this, there's probably very little you wouldn't justify it for.

#95 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 05:46 PM | Reply

So... things that are, "not that much of a threat to society writ-large. If you can justify limiting individual choice for this, there's probably very little you wouldn't justify it for."

I think you just got the pedophile vote. Congrats!

Can the vampire support be far behind?

#96 | Posted by Corky at 2021-10-21 05:53 PM | Reply

#95 | Posted by madbomber

And evil agenda called human compassion and responsible governance.

#97 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-10-21 06:31 PM | Reply

"Thank you for concisely stating why we have a student loan problem and why no one should be bailed out of their own bad decisions."

Yup.

No reason for taxpayers to shell out for a degree in hobbies.

#98 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 07:53 PM | Reply

"Greedy people who make the pursuit of the almighty dollar their holy pursuit in life usually do end up with money, but are horrible, self absorbed, narcissistic people who nobody else wants much to do with."

Hmm.

The rest of you would expect him to buy you one. Especially given that he has more money than you.

#99 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 07:55 PM | Reply

"That's certainly an apt description of your economics!"

They're not my economics. They're "our"

The fact that you don't like the outcome is your problem. Not anyone else's.

#100 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 07:56 PM | Reply

"To a sociopath, making an effort to save lives is irrational. Therefore it must be part of an evil agenda."

There are things far more deadly than COVID.

It also could be that you and those who share your beliefs are genuinely scared of COVID. And some people should be scared and take serious precautions like limiting their exposure to other humans.

But for the vast majority of us, especially those who are vaxxed, COVID is not nearly as much a threat as the government's reaction to COVID.

#101 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 07:59 PM | Reply

"And evil agenda called human compassion and responsible governance."

That threshold was met when the government offered free vaccines. It's not even remotely compassionate to require someone else to do something simply to make you feel better or safer or whatever.

And if you're vaxxed, you're safe princess. You can stop worrying.

#102 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-21 08:01 PM | Reply

"Especially given that he has more money than you."

Objection, your Honor: facts not in evidence.

#103 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 08:06 PM | Reply

"don't need no stinking accreditation to sell his butt cherry for $25/go."
~Skeptical

"As it stands now, I could buy you 10x over and still have money to spare. I will up that to about 20x and then maybe I will consider resting."
~Skeptical

So, using your numbers, and Actual Math...

Sounds like baby's first truth!

#104 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 09:16 PM | Reply

"It's not even remotely compassionate to require someone else to do something simply to make you feel better or safer or whatever.
#102 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER"

Apply the logic of those posters on here to peanut allergies. The mere fact that they ate some peanuts may cause someone to die - do they actively demand the banning of peanuts? Could life continue on as normal without peanuts? I would say they could. But, they are perfectly fine going about their lives eating peanuts despite the fact that it could lead to the death of person no knowing they carried around this deadly substance.

So, given this, they clearly seem to grog the idea of risk/benefit. However, with covid, they become completely irrational and everyone and everything is a threat to their life whether the unvaccinated person does not have covid or whether they have already had and beaten covid. It is akin to a person that does not have a peanut allergy forcing someone else to stop eating peanuts because it could kill them. Or, as I wrote previously, wearing 2 condoms when the-------- after having a vasectomy to avoid pregnancy despite being alone in the room.

#105 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 09:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"You're saying your net worth is slightly north of $250, but you're not going to stop until you've worked your legacy all the way up over $500.
#104 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH, GED"

Squirts, I give you more credit that you give yourself. I assume you have had many more than just the one customer buying your butt for $25/go at the San Fran bathhouse. However, if you confirm that one customer was your sole source of income, I will revise my ownership multiple for you.

#106 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 09:34 PM | Reply

"I feel like Skeptical might be the only one here who might offer to buy me a beer.
#99 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER"

I would gladly buy you a beer. I realize most on here don't have 2 nickels to rub together so I would gladly buy most on here a beer but I suspect most would turn it down as they won't drink mass-produced American beer and demand a free Oregon craft beer instead. There is a whole class on here that would be classified as 'choosing beggars'.

#107 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 09:37 PM | Reply

" I assume you have had many more than just the one customer buying"

And ... once again Skeptical will move the goalposts after getting discovered.

"I will revise my ownership multiple for you."

Sorry, pal, you've already given the answer. No revising once you've been exposed.

Of course, since you've stated I live slightly better that street junkies, what are you assuming is my net worth?

#108 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 09:39 PM | Reply

Congrats, Incel Scatberg. It looks like you finally found somebody to play catch the mayonnaise with.

#109 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2021-10-21 09:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"what are you assuming is my net worth?
#108 | POSTED BY DANFORTH"

You seem like the tallest midget. I would think with your house paid off, you probably have close to $500k. That is a lot of man ass for you to have provided, but again, I have more faith in you than you have in yourself.

#110 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 10:00 PM | Reply

" I would think with your house paid off, you probably have close to $500k"

Come, now. You said barely above street junkie level. Do you really believe street junkies have a little less than a half-mil? Good God, your concept of math is even worse than anyone thought. (Is it still the commas?)

Although a classic Skeptical Math answer: wrong, and off by over 90%.

#111 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 10:18 PM | Reply

"#111 | POSTED BY "SQUIRTS" DANFROTH, GED"

You are at retirement age, I think you could have possibly squirreled together $500k. That is not really an accomplishment for your age and the fact you have a spouse you need to care for means that you will be heavily reliant on social security payments - which probably explains your verbal vomit every time I bring up cutting entitlements.

Compared to your Leftist peer group on here, you probably seem like Elon Musk. JPW is in his late 30's stuck with student loans and making $15/hour. Snoofy seems to have never been gainfully employed and his net worth doubles if he has a full tank of gas. The rest seem to wear their economic failure as a badge of pride. So, you are the tallest midget.

#112 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-21 10:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I think you could have possibly squirreled together $500k."

You must've missed the part where you're off by over 90%. Do you need an explanation of what that means in real numbers?

Trigger warning: commas are involved.

#113 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 10:42 PM | Reply

#63 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

Oh lookie. Another internet billionaire!

He's so rich! Believe him! He can buy you ( like people are property to be bought or sold). And I can tell it's true because he spends all his time here!!

With his betters ...us.. the rich and famous!! LOL

But he cannot even afford to buy a clue can he?

...

And I don't wish death on you deplorable and now officially contemptible insurrectionist and insurrection supporters like you do to Libs.

But I do tell you to GFY. Because nothing you say can change what you are if you support Trumpy and his hateful trumpism.

Why should anyone care what lying traitors say when they will say anything to "own the Libs".

And who cares if a moron thinks he can or can't "buy" another human.

Like I said. GFY insurrectionist. Nothing you liars say matters anyway.

#114 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-10-21 10:44 PM | Reply

Oh lookie. Another internet billionaire!

Probably a fighter pilot too.

#115 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-10-21 10:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

'He's so rich! Believe him!"

With salt.

Keep in mind, this is the guy who couldn't tell 7.4 million from 74 million, because, well... commas.

#116 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-21 11:15 PM | Reply

Jesus was right, you know. A person cannot love both God* and money.
(*good/gud, Norse word for God that became "good")

So, internet millionaires and fighter pilot wannbe millionaires should have a good time on the internets with their Monopoly money while they can.

#117 | Posted by Corky at 2021-10-21 11:51 PM | Reply

"Probably a fighter pilot too."

For a fighter pilot to be a millionaire would require disciplined savings or to quit being a fighter pilot.

#118 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-22 10:43 AM | Reply

Although many are entitled to bonuses of more than $400k if they choose to take them.

#119 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-22 10:46 AM | Reply

And if you're vaxxed, you're safe princess. You can stop worrying.

#102 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

How many times do you have to be corrected on this?

How many times are you going to make confident statements you lack the qualifications to make?

#120 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-22 12:16 PM | Reply

Especially given that he has more money than you.

#99 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

So he claims. An easy claim to make on the intertubes.

Every time I travel I think how funny it would be to be sitting in an airport bar and see the DR on someone's computer screen in the airport bar or something.

I'd probably offer to buy them a beer unless they looked like a miserable -------.

#121 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-22 12:18 PM | Reply

#107 | POSTED BY SKEPTICAL

Tell me you're a fake rich guy without saying you're a fake rich guy.

#122 | Posted by jpw at 2021-10-22 12:19 PM | Reply

And if you're vaxxed, you're safe princess. You can stop worrying.
#102 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Does the name Colin Powell ring a bell?

#123 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-22 12:30 PM | Reply

#119 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

#124 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-10-22 12:49 PM | Reply

Jeeze wonder what the service obligations are for those type of deals. I read that army aviation students have to sign a 10 year ADSO.

I think it's 11 year service obligation, once your initial commitment is up.

I took a smaller $100k bonus. $50k up front, $10k each year for the four following years.

And I took it in the desert so it was tax free.

#125 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-22 06:48 PM | Reply

"How many times do you have to be corrected on this?"

I guess you're never 100% safe, but if you're vaxxed the probability of dying from COVID drops to an actual risk level that's almost insignificant, especially if you're under age 65. So it's very much an irrational fear.

I'm a swimmer. I like swimming in the open ocean. Yet I never can completely overcome a fear of sharks. But it's a completely irrational fear. In fact I should be far more fearful of drowning. I'm more likely to die of drowning than I am to die of a shark attack, yet it's not even something I think about.

At the same time, I used to wakeboard all the time when I lived in Louisiana, in a lake full of very large alligators. And water moccasins. But I never really gave it much thought.

#126 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-22 06:57 PM | Reply

"So he claims. An easy claim to make on the intertubes."

Maybe I'm just naive, but I have no reason to doubt that Skeptical has been successful in his or her ventures than Danforth has been able to make a career in finance without any formal training in finance.

Why lie?

#127 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-22 06:59 PM | Reply

"Why lie?"

Well, Septical publicly named my price, and then said he could buy me 10x over, with change to spare.

Based on his claim, that would put his net worth somewhere between $250 and $274.

He also swore he wasn't going to stop until his worth was AT LEAST $500.

Who says he's lying?

#128 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-10-22 08:11 PM | Reply

Are you talking millions or hundreds of thousands.

$250 million is pretty ambitious. That's a flex.

$500k net worth doesn't seem like a whole lot unless you're relatively young.

#129 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-10-23 06:08 AM | Reply