Thursday, October 28, 2021

The U.S. State Department has issued the first official passport with the gender marker "X," a change the Biden administration promised earlier this year to make the documents more inclusive for people who identify as nonbinary, intersex and gender non-conforming.

Comments

I can't begin to express how this is a bad idea in so many ways in my mind. I can only assume these people are only going to go to a handful of countries who are more tolerant. And an 'X'... Another short sighted move.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-10-27 05:37 PM | Reply

X could also indicate a target in some countries.

#2 | Posted by bat4255 at 2021-10-28 09:18 AM | Reply

Kickin' their @$$e$ one culture war at a time... boooooyyyyaaah!

#3 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-10-28 11:04 AM | Reply

youtu.be

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-28 11:57 AM | Reply

Can you imagine traveling to an Islamic nation with a passport where your gender is marked "X"? Seems like an invitation for abuse.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-10-28 12:32 PM | Reply

Or Alabama.

#6 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-28 12:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

For those concerned about safety - Having an American passport alone in many situations is enough to have a threat placed on you. Welcome to threat management.

For those concerned about freedom - Good start, now open it up to the rest of the trans community, not just a single intersex individual.

#7 | Posted by techres at 2021-10-28 02:50 PM | Reply

The "X's" will get used to it (or not) the same way the"F's" have since time immemorial. No matter where "F's" go... Islamic, Christian... US Armed Forces... In some places "F's" must travel in the company of an "M" even if just for show.

"M's" take a lot for granted moving freely in the world.

It's not surprising so many M to F transgender people commit suicide when reality sets in.

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-10-28 03:27 PM | Reply

I think it makes more sense to eliminate the box from US passports rather than add in the "X". If the US now believes that sex is no longer linked to physical characteristics, then way track it at all on a passport because it is no longer an identifiable characteristic in determining if the person holding the passport is the person in the passport - which, I assume is the reason for issuing a passport in the first place.

#9 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-28 07:40 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-28 08:07 PM | Reply

The field in my passport says "Sex", not "Gender".

#11 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-28 08:08 PM | Reply

"I thought Sex was supposed to be different from Gender? I guess that was all BS.
#10 | POSTED BY SENTINEL"

Chromosomes are just a social construct.

#12 | Posted by Skeptical at 2021-10-28 08:14 PM | Reply

"The field in my passport says "Sex", not "Gender"."

#11 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Hoping to get lucky, SS?

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-10-29 01:29 AM | Reply

Ve sank you for zis. Now ve cahm to US much eessyer. Az you say, hank onto your hat.
~mowhamma bombolla

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-10-29 06:48 AM | Reply

I already am lucky, LegallyMyDead.

#15 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-29 09:23 AM | Reply