Sunday, October 31, 2021

McDonald's has entered into a strategic partnership with IBM in an effort to accelerate the development of automated drive-thru lanes.

Comments

It's like McDonald's is trying to make their product (notice I didn't say "food") worse.

How anyone can eat that crap is beyond me.

#1 | Posted by jakester at 2021-10-30 10:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"is beyond me."

This thread isn't about "Jakester."

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-30 11:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

How anyone can eat that crap is beyond me.

Their coffee isn't too bad.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-10-30 11:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#3 - I'll give you that. But I'm talking about real coffee, not candy coffee.

#4 | Posted by jakester at 2021-10-30 11:11 PM | Reply

"But I'm talking about real coffee"

This thread isn't about you.

Start a thread about coffee if you want to talk about coffee.

This thread is about McDonald's plan to automate the drive thru.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-30 11:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#2 #5

One of your most pathetic attempts at trolling, snoofy. Get a frigging life.

#6 | Posted by willowby at 2021-10-30 11:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#6 - snoofy got worse than usual? Unbelievable. I may have to unplonk him to see this.

On second thought -- nah.

#7 | Posted by jakester at 2021-10-30 11:51 PM | Reply

This thread is about McDonald's plan to automate the drive thru.

Why is that even a thing? They automated the ordering inside years ago. All they have to do is weatherproof the terminals.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-10-30 11:53 PM | Reply

#8 - more jobs being taken away from humans. And I think it's more than just the ordering. I think it's the serving as well. IOW, no zit-faced teenager asking you if you want ketchup or salt.

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-10-30 11:56 PM | Reply

One of your most pathetic attempts at trolling, snoofy. Get a frigging life.
#6 | POSTED BY WILLOWBY

All I'm doing is responding like "Jakester" does.

I'm glad you can see it for what it is.

Hopefully you can also see why "Jakester" chose to take a pass on trying to call me out for it.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-30 11:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BS,snoofy. You were trolling. If you actually thought that was analogous to what jakester was talking about, you're dumber than I thought, which is saying a lot.

#11 | Posted by willowby at 2021-10-31 02:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Aaaaaanyway, regarding McDonald's ... the new and improved McConald's sounds a lot like the old McDonald's, but with an even more abysmal face presented to the customer.

#12 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-10-31 07:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#12 - Exactly. Let's see how void of humanity and sterile McDonald's can make their brand.

#13 | Posted by jakester at 2021-10-31 09:29 AM | Reply

#11 Yawn. I was apeing the troll.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-10-31 10:29 AM | Reply

#11 - yep, snoofy is another of the ones here who is morbidly obsessed with me. His case is even more severe. I never say anything to him, yet for months he follows me from thread to thread trolling me. He has the Jakester obsession worse than any of the others.

#15 | Posted by jakester at 2021-10-31 10:58 AM | Reply

the new and improved McConald's sounds a lot like the old McDonald's

They seem to be outselling their nearest competitors four to one so they probably don't want to mess with the formula too much.

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-10-31 12:26 PM | Reply

"Let's see how void of humanity and sterile McDonald's can make their brand."

Those touch screen kiosks aren't exactly sterile. Although I suppose it will be largely catering to those with the mobile app.

#17 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-10-31 09:33 PM | Reply

First McDonald's they fully automate I automatically take a dump in its floor

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2021-10-31 09:43 PM | Reply

It was inevitable, you luddite.

#19 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-10-31 09:44 PM | Reply

@#19

That's what you technophiles always say right until the machine takes your job.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2021-11-01 01:52 PM | Reply

Pushing America one step closer to UBI.

#21 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-01 01:54 PM | Reply

Ubi smh

The new CCC actually has a chance of becoming a reality this year.

Though in all fairness I would be entirely in favor of companies that automate or Outsource jobs being required to permanently provide their former employees and their descendants with a chunk of their income so long as the company exists.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2021-11-01 02:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I would be entirely in favor of companies that automate or Outsource jobs being required to permanently provide their former employees and their descendants with a chunk of their income so long as the company exists."

why?

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-01 02:12 PM | Reply

I won't ever see one of these. IMO, their food is tasteless. Too many other choices.

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-11-01 02:52 PM | Reply

Why?

Ever see someone who gave decades of their life to a corporation expecting to work until retirement age and then be given full retirement benefits by the company only for the job to be outsourced?

#25 | Posted by Tor at 2021-11-01 03:45 PM | Reply

You have to know you can't stop technology.

You're in favor of the government imposing a major dis-incentive for organizations to continue to develop better technology to better serve customers (and their bottom line)?

Pay an ex-mcdonalds worker to not work at mcdonalds anymore? You pick the company....doesn't matter.

Surely you see the problems with that, right?

Currently we offer unemployment to said workers for a period of time and other forms of assistance.

When did technology become so evil? The industrial revolution, assembly line for mass production, computers, the internet, etc?

Jobs get eliminated with every development. Others get created.

As unfortunate it is for some.....there is no stopping it.

#26 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-01 03:53 PM | Reply

That's what you all say till it's your job.

www.dailymotion.com

#27 | Posted by Tor at 2021-11-01 04:41 PM | Reply

Cute. treat me like I've not lived and experienced the consequences of this exact reality.

My dad farmed 1400 acres. Rented it all meaning he didn't own any ground. Every year he went backwards because technology pushed farming to larger and larger scales. Died almost completely broke

My brother ended up with nothing to farm....was basically thrown out after my dad died.

You can scream at technology all you want. Lecture folks like me as well if it makes you feel better.

It

won't

stop

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-01 05:13 PM | Reply

POSTED BY EBERLY

Yo!

Welcome back.

Thought you had retired.

#29 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-01 05:17 PM | Reply

semi-retired.

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-01 05:19 PM | Reply

I respond to this the same way I respond to humanless checkout at the grocery. If I don't get a price break for doing your job for you, forget it.

#31 | Posted by morris at 2021-11-01 05:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I know what it feels like to get automated away. I worked for newspapers. The printing industry was the 2nd largest industry in the country before the internet. The food industry was 1st. Now it's the 14th by size and 147th by rank.

I was all for it when computers came in. I worked in a small town outside of Silicon Valley and we were the first shop to adopt computers to use in our graphics department. They did only the most basic of things... and it was revolutionary.

I adapted and turned to digital work but it was exhausting running to keep ahead of it. I had no idea how quickly many well-paying jobs and small businesses would be eliminated. A single person operating a computer sitting on a desk does what it took a large building full of equipment and skilled professionals to produce 40 years ago.

It is what it is.

Funny thing is... now even our cell phones are more powerful computers than the ones we used to kill a mega-industry.

#32 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-11-01 08:10 PM | Reply

Oh, so crappy food that is horribly overpriced will now be twice as likely to have my order wrong? No thanks. Haven't been there since pandemic. Not going back...ever.

#33 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-11-02 10:59 AM | Reply

Good .... I just love abusing technology.

cell phones

They are a curse on humanity. Mindlessly taking conversation and being there away from human interaction. Go to any restaurant and see everyone staring down at the idiot box in their palms through the whole meal. Clients now feel the ability to reach out at any time of the day or night with their whims with no regard for boundaries. "Can you look it up for me now?".... It's ten pm and I am in bed.... "Does that mean no?"

#34 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-11-02 12:54 PM | Reply