Sunday, November 14, 2021

The federal government announced a large hike in Medicare premiums Friday night, blaming the pandemic but also what it called uncertainty over how much it may have to be forced to pay for a pricey and controversial new Alzheimer's drug.

Comments

That takes care of the increase in social security payments.

#1 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2021-11-13 11:37 AM | Reply

Washington " Medicare's "Part B" outpatient premium will jump by $21.60 a month in 2022, one of the largest increases ever. Officials said Friday a new Alzheimer's drug is responsible for about half of that.
www.detroitnews.com

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-13 12:31 PM | Reply

The new Alzheimer's drug doesn't even work. The drug companies gamed the FDA to get approval. More rip offs for seniors. Business as usual.

#3 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-11-13 09:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

free drugs!

#4 | Posted by ichiro at 2021-11-13 09:45 PM | Reply

For those here who are uninformed, this is par for the course, as in most years that there is a COLA [there is not a SS COLA every year], usually the Medicare Part B deduction also goes up, and cancels out much and sometimes all of the COLA.

When if comes to Social Security it's 'never give a sucker an even break'*.

* Old W.C. Fields reference.

#5 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-11-14 05:44 PM | Reply

Yet another good reason for retiree seniors to get a part time job.
Its easy to find one because we can pass a drug test, we have a good work ethic, and we show up. On time.
Plus a part time job beats sitting and watching TV.
Just sayin

#6 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-11-14 06:48 PM | Reply

Quite honestly, I really don't want to get a part time job. I have plenty of things to keep me busy in my "golden years". I've worked for almost 50 years to support myself and a family while paying into a system that was supposed to help seniors when they retire. Seniors are a huge voting block in this country. You want their vote? Tell them you are going to stop taxing SS and let them keep the money they have earned.

#7 | Posted by rukiddin at 2021-11-14 07:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My wife watches Arnold Murray on Shepherds Chapel. Not a big fan of that stuff but one day he said to the old folks " don't tithe on your social security money, you all ready tithed on that"
Couldn't believe my ears.
You already paid taxes on that, don't tax me again .

Another one for us old folks
"Don't give money for someone to say a prayer for you,you can talk to God anytime you like"

Not a big fan but.....

#8 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-11-14 08:14 PM | Reply

Plus a part time job beats sitting and watching TV.
Just sayin

#6 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE AT 2021-11-14 06:48 PM |

I've been a gig worker most of my working life. I worked regular jobs only long enough to raise my kids. I will be working until the day I drop. I have no problem with that and I hope I can.
For me, working is way better than tv. The people I work with are a variety of ages so I get to see what things are important to them while I watch from my perch of maturity.

My collar has been several different colors... but mostly blue.

Historically speaking, I know that retirement is a very recent concept and before this recent spate of global prosperity it really was either work or starve for the vast majority. It hasn't been very long its been like this... half-century and some change. Prior to this, almost everyone worked from the day they lost the diapers until the day they died at a young age.

Ironically a large part of the current worker shortage is boomers cutting the cord to working outside the home. It was coming before covid anyways. It's fun to blame the grandkids. Way better than chasing them off the lawn.

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-11-15 07:57 AM | Reply