Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Elizabeth J. Long: I'm a mom to two young boys and recently spent two years living in Prague. Playgrounds in Prague are not for the faint of heart, and they make the ones in the US look boring. Czech parents offer their children more freedom to explore and grow into themselves.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I'm a mom to two young boys and recently spent two years living in Prague.

Comments

US Citizens have less freedom than many if not most Europeans except in a couple ways.

The other is 2A related and I have NO problem whatsoever with good and reasonable restrictions on that.

Our biggest problem is random stupid lawsuits. It is the rampant lawsuits here that made things like today's playgrounds what they are.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-11-17 05:27 PM | Reply

That's a pretty broad brush she's painting with. When my kids were young and on a military base, they did the same things the author spoke of. The difference is, all of us parents and the kids were all around the same age.

I've noticed since I've moved back to NC, in a middle class neighborhood, the people living in the houses are different ages and so are the kids and kids dont go next door alot. The houses that have five bedrooms, there are two old people living in them and you never see anyone around them.

#2 | Posted by boaz at 2021-11-17 05:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Boaz, you really think kids can do the stuff we did as kids?

Every weekend I was off with my friends riding bikes down to the pond and out to the ag fields, up to the apartments where the college kids lived, or all the way to campus. The world was our playground.

Literally zero parental supervision for hours on end.

You understand that's no longer allowed, right?
Largely because of Republican fear-mongering that ramped up in the 80s, starting with the completely fabricated Bakersfield ritual child sexual abuse scandal.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-17 05:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"Freedom of Speech - We have them as well but there are more restrictions on speech in Europe. Especially Germany and these are not a bad thing from what I have seen. They are basically anti-hate speech."

We have to put up with Nazis in the name of "Freedom." It's a Kafkaesque farce, but Boaz can't see that.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-17 05:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I agree with #3. I grew up in South Jersey in the woods and I used to ride 10 or more miles each way to Mays Landing on my bike on small secondary roads with my friends or alone.

No cell phones, no contact with my parents or any other adults. Kids today can't have that.

I was 10-12 years old, small for my age. It was 1973-1974. Life has changed and not really for the better. I feel sorry for the computer geek indoor kids today. They never get to slip the leash.

#5 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-11-18 01:52 AM | Reply

There are still many free range kids, future Republicans, out in rural areas.

Its the attack helicopter parents from the burbs that rule with an iron fist.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-11-18 07:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

What a pointless load...

Thread gets the 'funny flag'.

#7 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-11-18 07:40 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER AT 2021-11-18 01:52 AM | FLAG: AMEN! Grew up in a small town in south central Pennsylvania and we were out playing until the street slights came on in the summertime and no adults around, or needed.

#8 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-11-18 01:42 PM | Reply

"Our biggest problem is random stupid lawsuits."

The reason I posted this was I was in Prague a few months ago. Our hotel in Old Town was right by a park that had this enormous jungle-gym looking thing. The thing the author references in the article. It also had a pretty gnarly zip-line. My first thought was that this would never fly in the US. Some kid would break it's neck and the parents would sue. My second thought was to notify my teenage daughter of my find, who promptly went to climb the jungle-gym and zip the line. I was tempted to do it myself...but that would have looked a bit creepy.

#9 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-11-18 01:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"They have freedom from (having to tolerate) Nazis in our society. That's as it should be."

But they're not yet from communists in their society.

Do they need to work on that?

In truth, has there ever been a strain of socialism that shouldn't be repressed?

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-11-18 01:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"We have to put up with Nazis in the name of "Freedom."

Not just Nazi's, but all sorts of despicable ideologies.

Freedom doesn't mean those who you disagree with have less rights than you.

It's like a Nazi (here) complaining about having to put up with Jews and Bolsheviks in the name of "freedom."

#11 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-11-18 01:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Give it a rest. The Soshulism nonsense is getting tiresome,its like a one note song with you. Socialism, ooh, scary. Monsters under the bed want people to get medical treatment when ill. Oh the horror! People without means might survive otherwise treatable health issues.

You're an -----, no way to sugar coat that.

#12 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-11-18 02:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"But they're not yet from communists in their society.
Do they need to work on that?"

You live over there.
Commies causing any problems for you?

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-18 05:53 PM | Reply

"Freedom doesn't mean those who you disagree with have less rights than you."

That statement is so overly broad as to be both right and wrong.

Freedom does man they have less rights, when our disagreement with them manifests as jail time.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-18 05:55 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by madbomber

In truth, all the nations that rank higher in citizen happiness than the USA are more socialist than we are.

en.wikipedia.org

Why do you think that is?

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-11-18 06:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Germany is currently if Covid Crisis Mode... which means Mythbomber may miss time at his gym.

Which is really too high a price to pay for merely losing a few thousand lives. Especially old ones. Apparently that includes his parents and grandparents.

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2021-11-19 12:55 AM | Reply