Thursday, November 18, 2021

Martin Scorsese is making a musical biopic about the Grateful Dead, with Jonah Hill set to star as the iconic rock band's frontman Jerry Garcia.

Comments

He's lost weight and changing his image in acting as well. He no longer plays fat inept clowns.

I wonder if he'll gain weight back to play this role?

I think Jack Black wouldn't been better. He looks closer to Jerry than Jonah does and is a lot more deeply entrenched in the R&R world with a couple of R&R themed movies under his belt as well as his Tenacious D stuff.

#1 | Posted by jakester at 2021-11-18 05:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Jonah Hill is a great actor. Jack Black is a great comedian. For a point of comparison, look at Hill's performance in Moneyball and Black's performance in King Kong. In both movies they are playing non-comedic characters. One was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor. The other was pretty much universally considered a poor casting choice.

#2 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-11-18 06:06 PM | Reply

Jack Black can play the straight role. King Kong e.g. I agree his a great comedian as well.

#3 | Posted by jakester at 2021-11-18 06:11 PM | Reply

Jonah is Martin's go-to guy, is the simplest explanation.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-18 06:12 PM | Reply

I just hope it's better than Rocket Man. I saw Bohemian Rhapsody which was great. A few weeks later I saw Rocket Man which I thought sucked. I think it came too close on the heels of Bohemian Rhapsody, but even a delayed release would not have helped it much, I think.

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-11-18 06:15 PM | Reply

#1 - curses autocorrect. First line should've read:

"I think Jack Black would've been better...."

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-11-18 06:17 PM | Reply

I am disagreeing with you Jakester. I do NOT think Jack Black is good in straight roles. King Kong being cited as the example. However he is terrific in comedy. Nacho Libre. Tropic Thunder. School Of Rock. etc.

#7 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-11-18 06:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It will be an interesting endeavor for Scorsese. You can't do a Garcia without heavy doses of The Summer of Love. Scorsese isn't exactly a "love" type director. His stuff is pretty dark and violent.

#8 | Posted by jakester at 2021-11-18 06:51 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by jakester at 2021-11-18 06:51 PM

The more you read about the inner Dead scene, they come off more as pirates than hippies. Psychadelic turned cokehead/junkie pirates.

#9 | Posted by morris at 2021-11-18 07:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Scorsese directed The Last Waltz which was pretty excellent if, like me, you are into The Band and Bob Dylan.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-11-19 01:22 PM | Reply