Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance: The number of backsliding democracies has doubled in the past decade, now accounting for a quarter of the world's population. This includes established democracies such as the United States, but also EU Member States such as Hungary, Poland and Slovenia. More than two-thirds of the world's population now live in backsliding democracies or autocratic regimes. Overall, the number of countries moving in an authoritarian direction in 2020 outnumbered those going in a democratic direction. The world has lost at least four democracies in the last two years, either through flawed elections or military coups. The Global State of Democracy (GSoD) indices show that authoritarian regimes have increased their repression, with 2020 being the worst year on record. The Covid-19 pandemic has deepened the trend of democratic deterioration--As of August 2021, 64 percent of countries have taken an action deemed to be disproportionate, unnecessary or illegal to curb the pandemic. But democratic erosion is not a one-way street. Many democracies have proved resilient, including during the Covid-19 pandemic, by introducing or expanding democratic innovations and adapting their practices and institutions in record time.

Comments

Thanks, Republicans.

#1 | Posted by JOE at 2021-11-23 08:33 AM | Reply

Roughly one-third of the American people have no interest in democracy.

Trumpism is fascism. Events continue to unfold and it is clear that it hates and largely wants to kill the usual suspects: Blacks, Browns, Jews, Gays, and Liberals. If Trumpism wins, we can speculate on which group is herded onto cattle cars first. I worry about which one of my neighbors might appear at my door with an AR-15 to force me to declare my political loyalties.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 08:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

Speaking of AR-15s.....If Trumpism wins, then little hope exists that Trumpites will be able to keep their guns. As soon as private gun ownership is no longer politically expedient and useful, your fascist block supervisor will be by to collect yours.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 08:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

This whole Right-wing fantasy that private gun ownership will act as a check against the government is hilarious in a Trump fascist dictatorship. The Trumpites have been begging for an owner, a master. They will bow down. Those few that won't will be killed.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 08:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Hey, remember when the Right wanted a Constitutional Amendment protecting the flag? Just look at what these people do to the flag now. All those years of pius, patriotic sloganeering? Lies, nothing but lies. They never meant their love of country; they don't mean it now. All those years of claiming to be Christian? Not with Donald Trump elevated as messiah. They were lying about their religous convictions also.

Fascists are liars. For some reason, they find it easier to live that way. Or maybe lies are their native language, like a certain supernatural force they lie about hating.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 08:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

This backsliding has been brought to you by all of the best people ...
-L'Orange Fascist

#6 | Posted by catdog at 2021-11-23 09:42 AM | Reply

Thanks, Democrats.

#7 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-23 09:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#7 LOL You must not be awake yet, Bellboy. You're just phoning it in.

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-11-23 09:45 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

"I worry about which one of my neighbors might appear at my door with an AR-15 to force me to declare my political loyalties."

The right's assumption that the left is unarmed is something I like to encourage. FAFO.

#9 | Posted by qcp at 2021-11-23 09:49 AM | Reply

Zed,

Trump has been out of office for ten months and doesn't even have a social media presence. You can move on. It'll be ok.

#10 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-23 09:53 AM | Reply

Will the winning ever stop?

#11 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-11-23 10:06 AM | Reply

Sensible people will move on from being concerned about Trump the day after all of his insensible cult followers move on from him.

#12 | Posted by Nerfherder at 2021-11-23 10:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#10 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

My ire is directed at the Trump-style fascists, of which there are millions.

Your ears burning?

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 10:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There's 99 reasons for the backsliding of America but Trump and his 4 years of claim-to-fame isn't one of them. He wasn't that good. But for the thin skinned among us, Trump is a very powerful figure. They prove it right here every day.

#14 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 10:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

A cult of personality will always downplay the power that personality has upon them by projecting their weakness for authoritarian figures upon others who see through the charade.

#15 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-11-23 10:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Your ears burning?

#13 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2021-11-23 10:12 AM | REPLY

THe only reason you or anyone else her would accuse someone of being a feral Trumper is because they don't support Joe Biden. You did it to me when I refused to support Killary Kankles Klinton.

Now lets look at the goods rendered vs promises made of Biden and see what you come up with in 3 more years, because he's already back peddling on some major promises. Then you're going reconcile the fact that some of his promises were made in bad faith.

#16 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 10:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

#16 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

The choice is between broken campaign promises in a democracy and right-wing autocracy?

It may say something about you if you think this is a hard choice.

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 10:24 AM | Reply

People such as myself didn't vote for Biden based on what he said and promised. We only voted for him to get Trump the hell out of office. And he did that.

#18 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-11-23 10:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

-broken campaign promises

At this point, what exactly are Biden's broken campaign promises?

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-23 10:27 AM | Reply

At this point, what exactly are Biden's broken campaign promises?

#19 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2021-11-23 10:27 AM

Start with energy.

#20 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 10:29 AM | Reply

At this point, what exactly are Biden's broken campaign promises?

#19 | POSTED BY EBERLY

I have to confess that anger at Biden is confusing. This highlights, I think, how spoiled Americans are. We excel in hissy fits.

#21 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 10:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Start with energy.

#20 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

My next care will be electric. Biden and the Democrats will help that along. We know what the opposition will do.

#22 | Posted by Zed at 2021-11-23 10:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#18 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER AT 2021-11-23 10:25 AM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

Thats a terrible hill to die on but it's definitely your freedom to do so.

And you voted for Hillary to keep him out of office.

#23 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 10:31 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

well, lets start with his words....his exact campaign promises.

Did he explicitly say he wouldn't allow those drilling permits in the Gulf or say he wouldn't tap into those oil reserves?

I honestly don't know but I'm not accusing Biden of anything either.

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-23 10:33 AM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2021-11-23 10:31 AM

Then you better hope he's successful at building the infrastructure to support said electric vehicle. Otherwise you will be like the engineer I saw following Hurricane Ida with a gas generator hooked up to his car.

#25 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 10:33 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER AT 2021-11-23 09:53 AM | FLAG: GFY LOSER

Nonsense they are referring to the activities of the butt hurting republicl0wn sore losers sect of the population arming themselves to go to war over losing an election fair and square.

They can't kill a foreign enemy so they will kill their own... because the senile OLD man they wanted in office lost an election.

Add to the fact that pretty much any raggedy $%!t%ole of a country can kick our a$$e$ in a war killing scores of US civilians simply by getting them stoned, demonstrates the most expensive military in the world is not protecting us.

Pigs like you are making it happen.

#26 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-11-23 10:35 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY ZED

I added a tactical 12 gauge to my stash last December for just such a contingency. I don't carry my guns around in public. But if these MF'rs show up at my house "to shoot liberals", I'll do my best to take some of them with me.

#27 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-11-23 10:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-I have to confess that anger at Biden is confusing.

Not for me. People are quite predictable.

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-23 10:37 AM | Reply

I honestly don't know but I'm not accusing Biden of anything either.

#24 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2021-11-23 10:33 AM |

That's the thing with politicians. They use weasel words. Anyone here with half a brain knows he ran on clean energy and the weaning off of fossil fuels. That can't even be debated. Just like Obama used the fact that he never supported the ME wars as weasel words when he was campaigning. Then, he brought us more war. Did he ever say the words "I will stop this war and bring our troops home as soon as I am elected"?

#29 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 10:38 AM | Reply

For some time, Republicans have not stood for achievements, they have only stood for excuses.

#30 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-11-23 10:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

-This highlights, I think, how spoiled Americans are. We excel in hissy fits.

I could list thousands of more examples. But you're right.

#31 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-23 10:39 AM | Reply

The MAGA playbook is on the chalkboard. Unless the Democrats find some way to pass the -For the People Act- by next years election, the U.S. is going to slide all the way to long term, single party rule by 2025.

#32 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-11-23 10:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#32 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT AT 2021-11-23 10:40 AM

And the DNC continues to trot out the same old establishment politicians over and over. Maybe quit blaming republicans for easily deciphering their playbook and start cleaning your own house.

#33 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 10:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Now we have people here on this site admitting they are purchasing guns with the intent on shooting people from the other party and to justify that action, they have to convince themselves they are possibly going to be the victim of people coming to their door armed......all over what political party you belong to.

You're right Zed.......people are quite spoiled...they have the freedom to believe all sorts of fantasies about the troubled lives they lead.

#34 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-23 10:43 AM | Reply

"Anyone here with half a brain knows he ran on clean energy and the weaning off of fossil fuels. That can't even be debated"

I understand what you are saying but just claiming that is another way for folks to be too lazy to not actually pay attention to what he actually says.

I'll admit caving on the strategic oil reserves is pretty spineless if it's just about $3 gas.

Is that really a good enough reason?

#35 | Posted by eberly at 2021-11-23 10:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Is that really a good enough reason?

#35 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2021-11-23 10:46 AM

I don't care one way or the other on opening the oil reserves. Biden is simply caving on the platform he ran on to try to get his approval ratings up. For the record, I don't care about the 80 million acres of leases being offered up either. There's no way we can reach energy independence with green energy without a lot of sacrifice and Americans do love them some conveniences. All of this looks good on paper or coming out of a talking head until the chickens come home to roost, and Americans don't have the stomach for it.

#36 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 11:08 AM | Reply

"And you voted for Hillary to keep him out of office"

I didn't vote for Hillary. In fact, Biden is the first Democrat I ever voted for. And the only reason I voted for him is because I recognize the fundamental danger of authoritarian cult leaders like Trump and his MAGAt followers.

#37 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-11-23 11:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

I keep hearing you say that. Only proving what a fool or a liar you are.

Trump and Trumpism rules the (former) Republican Party.

Trump's centrality guarantees that large numbers of resentful, truth-denying, conspiracy-minded, anti-democratic, overwhelmingly white voters ... "New York Times

Even after having been removed from Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, Trump remains popular among Republicans, that is, voters who identify as having views to the right of the political spectrum.

To ignore that is folly.

In the last (month), the former President has once again shown just how he plans to maintain control of the Republican Party's brand. He has refused to accept the Republican-led audit of 2020 election results in Arizona that he is, in fact, still the race's loser. He continues to push for election reviews in Georgia, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin"and seems to be on track to get them. Trump has been hammering his supporters in Congress to gum up a quartet of high-profile pieces of President Joe Biden's agenda and keeps sprinkling his endorsements in races around the country, trying to exact revenge on corners of his party he has deemed insufficiently loyal.

time.com

Just because he is out of office and off of social media does not mean he is out of power.

If you still think that then you just don't understand political power.

#38 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-11-23 11:19 AM | Reply

My apologies. I stand corrected.

#39 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-23 11:24 AM | Reply

Biden Campaign Promise Tracker
www.politifact.com

Kept: "Rejoin the Paris climate agreement."

In Progress (meaning not broken yet):
"Give disadvantaged communities 40% of spending benefits related to clean energy."
"Put US on a course to net-zero emissions by 2050"
"Block new fracking on federal lands, but not ban all fracking"
"Establish new fuel economy standards"

Remember when Joe Biden kept this promise, and Republicans hated it? "End wars in Afghanistan and the Middle East."

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-23 11:27 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

BallDinger,

As long as the RNC keeps paying Trump's legal bills, he matters.

Why it matters that the RNC is helping pay Trump's legal bills
Over the last year, Donald Trump's political operation has raised more than $100 million. So why is the RNC still helping pay his legal bills?

www.msnbc.com

#41 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-11-23 11:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

From your link.

Voting rights are worse. Roe is disintegrating. College debt is still climbing. Police oversight is not happening. Universal preschool?

That's only to name a few. Those are meat and potatoes issues for Democrats.

None of this will happen after the Democrats get creamed in the mid-terms. Why did we vote for them?

Biden was elected because he supposedly knows how to use the levers of power. I doubt he remembers what he had for breakfast.

The time to move on these issues is now.

#42 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-11-23 11:48 AM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

Ummmm....
The Office of The President is a very powerful office.
It's not called "the leader of the free world" for nothing.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-23 11:49 AM | Reply

Our whole culture is based on doing an act before finding out the ramifications. Yay for ignorance and assuming we are right by default!

#44 | Posted by Brennnn at 2021-11-23 12:00 PM | Reply

Historians will look back at this time as one in which our democracy was dancing on the edge of a knife. And we really could fall in either direction.

#45 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-11-23 12:02 PM | Reply

Weimar Republic? Socially the most liberal Germany ever was until, the Deluge in 1933 swept the "ubermenschen" into power and all social freedoms into the toilet.

The Democratic party is going to be remembered as the party that enabled Trumpism to prevail because they needed "centrist" voters.Big cash donations and bipartisan unity have become a suicide pact for our society. The donors will all make bank under a fascist government. They always do. Krupp Steel and A G. Farben can attest to that.

#46 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-11-23 12:33 PM | Reply

"The Democratic party is going to be remembered as the party that enabled Trumpism to prevail"

I love it when Trump voters explain the Democrat Party!

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-23 12:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Which would you rather be remembered as, the Weimar Republic or the Third Reich?

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-23 12:42 PM | Reply

Neither. And my vote is not the only defining act of my life. I have renounced Trumpism, root and branch. Only the rise of Hillary could have driven me or the nation to such folly. She was abetted by the DNC and they corruptly fixed the primaries to gaurantee her nomination.

They are more to blame for Trump and everything that's happened since than any one voter is.

...You're not much of A Big Picture guy are you? Snooferooni...

#49 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-11-23 01:04 PM | Reply

Traitors get the rope.

#50 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-11-23 01:38 PM | Reply

#29 | Posted by lfthndthrds

There is no need for "drill baby drill" in the gulf. US oil production is down - WAY down - because of simple economics. Russia and the Saudis made American oil uneconomical. Covid then REALLY killed it. Negative oil prices will do that, even if only short term. Once oil prices are high enough the capitalists will start pumping again.

BTW Electric cars are a far better bet. If you have solar power you will always have power for your vehicle. Gas, well you seen what happens when a mere pipeline gets shut down right?

#51 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-11-23 05:32 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY ZED

100%.

But then again if they weren't gullible rubes they wouldn't be Trumpers, right?

What's sad is they're the "forgotten" and "downtrodden" because they largely put themselves in that situation. Is it a surprise they're placing themselves at the feet of Trump to be his doormat?

#52 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 10:14 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Just STFU with this garbage. Moron.

#53 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 10:15 AM | Reply

Amen JPW

#54 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-11-24 10:17 AM | Reply

Your ears burning?

#13 | POSTED BY ZED

I'm sure they were smoking.

Bellrung wants it all ignored because he's hoping that if we listen to him and ignore it Trump and his fascists will succeed next time.

Because that's what he wanted the first time.

#55 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 10:34 AM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

Another braindead moron chimes in.

Are you also a ----------- supporter who's only regret is it didn't work but won't say it out loud?

#56 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 10:35 AM | Reply

JPW appears to be hitting the sauce early today.

#57 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-24 10:36 AM | Reply

Trump: Boo!!!

You ------- -------.

#58 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-24 10:37 AM | Reply

Trump is a POS. It is inexcusable for him to pull a Stacey Abraham's over 2020. He had his chance and failed miserably at proving election fraud was significant enough to tilt the election to Biden.

This talk of him running in 2024 pisses me the hell off. If the GOP voters nominate him again I won't vote Libertarian I will vote Dem even though I know Democrats are terrible.

#59 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-24 10:41 AM | Reply

Hey JPW

We are not the ones claiming the end of democracy if our candidates lose in a democratic election. That would be YOU.

#60 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-24 10:44 AM | Reply

Start with energy.

#20 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

For someone who supposedly works in the business you're awfully prone to right wing -------- narratives.

#61 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 11:40 AM | Reply

#60 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Posting idiotic, dishonest trash doesn't rebut my statement, bellrung.

It supports it.

#62 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 11:40 AM | Reply

JPW appears to be hitting the sauce early today.

#57 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Going straight to that stupid trope.

Makes sense, though. Being an idiot is permanent.

#63 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 11:41 AM | Reply

Trump: Boo!!!
You ------- -------.

#58 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Sticking your head in the sand doesn't make you look balanced and intellectual.

It makes you look like a fool.

#64 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 11:42 AM | Reply

And you voted for Hillary to keep him out of office.

#23 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

Because even before he was POTUS it was clear what he would be.

And even after he's POTUS many are too stupid to even see that he was exactly what he was clear to be.

Trump has shown that about 30% of the country is irredeemably stupid and gullible. Couple that with the progressives and there's only about 40% of the country that's rational, sane and clear plus critically thinking.

Not a good thing.

#65 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 11:45 AM | Reply

#33 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

Yeah! Let's not go after the party falling into fascism! Let's blame the other party for letting them win!

Do you have any idea how ------- stupid that is? Holy ----.

#66 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 11:47 AM | Reply

you voted for Hillary to keep him out of office.
#23 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

So did most the nation.

Trump being a conman, a liar, a spoiled brat, a failure ... was widely know before he stepped up to join the Republican primaries.

Trump bankrupting casinos, his full page attack on the Central Park five, his history of housing bias ... was also known.

Trump was spoiled goods before he even became a candidate.

Only idiots voted for him.

#67 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-24 11:56 AM | Reply

And Republicans offer fascism.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're voting for.

#68 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-24 11:58 AM | Reply

And it's not even fascism.

He's willing to install fascists to stroke his butthurt ego.

#69 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 12:00 PM | Reply

Just wait till he reminds you he voted for Obama in 2008.

Obama was a breaking point for the DNC.

The expectations for "Hope and change" that resulted in neither.

That's when I became disillusioned with politics.

But I'm not dumb enough to vote for Republicans in hopes of burning down America.

#70 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-24 12:04 PM | Reply

"I have to confess that anger at Biden is confusing..."
-from Zed above.

I thought so too at first Zed, and then I began to
realize just how far gone and brainwashed the opposition
is. Here in WV, it is SCARY. Gun toting weirdos ranting,
literally ranting and parroting crap they've heard (just heard
about Biden and democrats and liberals) from rightwing t.v.,
off of Youtube, off of Faux News. These people are WAAAAAAAAAAY
on down the road mentally. Hell, many of them can no longer
even find their way back to the road anymore, they are so far gone.

I don't dare try to argue logically with these people out here.
All I can do is express that I think "all politicians are -------- and
idiots", and that I "don't trust either side" (even though I do trust the
Dems a lot more than the GOP), and that is as far as I can bring them
towards the middle and reality. The simple agreeance that "politicians
in general, suck".

#71 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-11-24 12:29 PM | Reply

WV was ground zero for Perdue Pharma's attack on the US.

How many has it killed?

Oh, wait they invented Naloxone the fix things.

Live to die another day.

Beautiful state.

#72 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-11-24 12:54 PM | Reply

#40 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-11-23 11:27 AM | FLAG: | FUNNY: 1 | NEWSWORTHY 1

Remember when Fat Nixon kept his promise to:

Lower health care costs,
Give everyone cheap and easy health care with low deductibles,
Cut taxes for the mussel clas,
Bring manufacturing back to the US,
Put a 35% exit tax on companies leaving the US,
Defeat ISIS within 30 days
Be too busy to take a vacation or golf,
Etc..etc ... etc ...

#73 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-11-24 01:34 PM | Reply

Thanks Democrats.

#74 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-24 02:28 PM | Reply

Thanks, Democrats.
#7 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER AT 2021-11-23 09:44 AM

Thanks Democrats.
#74 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER AT 2021-11-24 02:28 PM

You already posted this stellar contribution.

Yesterday.

Nothing more to add?

Didn't get the responses you were hoping for, so trying again?

You still trying to pretend you're not a troll?

#75 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-24 02:36 PM | Reply

WV was ground zero for Perdue Pharma's attack on the US.

How many has it killed?

Oh, wait they invented Naloxone the fix things.

Live to die another day.

Beautiful state.

#72 | Posted by RightisTrite

Stopped in Charleston, WV on my way to North Carolina once.

Went into a McDonalds within view of the state house, ordered a breakfast sandwich and coffee then made the mistake of going to the bathroom.

Stall was open and I could see the trash can upside down in the middle of the floor, wrappers and waste everywhere with the toilet full of cigarette butts.

I'm pretty sure it was used for shooting up and not taking a ----.

Got out of there without touching any surfaces as quick as I could.

#76 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-24 09:32 PM | Reply