Friday, November 26, 2021

A judge has ruled that security cameras and a Ring doorbell installed in a house in Oxfordshire "unjustifiably invaded" the privacy of a neighbour.

Comments

More from the article...

...Dr Mary Fairhurst claimed that the devices installed on the house of neighbour Jon Woodard broke data laws and contributed to harassment.

The judge upheld both these claims.

Mr Woodard now faces a substantial fine. He claimed he installed the devices in good faith as a deterrent against burglars.

The origin of the row stems from an invitation from Mr Woodard to his neighbour Dr Fairhurst to have a tour of his home renovations, during which she claimed he showed off his new security system.

The judgment reads that Dr Fairhurst was "alarmed and appalled" to notice that he had a camera mounted on his shed and that footage from it was sent to his smartphone.

A series of disputes about the cameras followed, which resulted in Dr Fairhurst moving out of her home....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-11-25 09:41 PM | Reply

England is lousy with surveillance cameras, I guess they only want the police to have that power.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-11-26 12:32 AM | Reply

FTA: In the judgement it was found that the Ring doorbell captured images of the claimant's house and garden, while the shed camera covered almost the whole of her garden and her parking space.

I think it's more on the lines of his cameras were set up in such a way he could record her private property. From the sounds of it almost her entire property from her parking to the house to her garden. My area is loaded with ring doorbells but most cases they are set back far enough from the street that they aren't recording anything but the front stoop and yard right in front of the door. They might catch a bit of the street but the distance from what I have seen is extreme range and you can't really get details of passers by. If I found out one of my neighbors could see my driveway house and back yard I might be a bit upset myself.

More FTA: Judge Melissa Clarke found that audio data collected by cameras on a shed, in a driveway and on the Ring doorbell was processed unlawfully. She noted that at the time it was not possible to turn off the audio recording facility - that happened in an update in 2020.

She said that she found the audio data that could capture conversations "even more problematic and detrimental than video data".

So now he knows if she is a screamer or not

#3 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-11-26 06:51 AM | Reply

In my cul-de-sac, everyone has a camera with their driveway and inadvertently the front yard or door of across the street neighbors.

No malice. Its just the way they are setup.

Are we going to all have to remount our cameras?

#4 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-11-26 11:54 AM | Reply

Now, what about Google Earth?

#5 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-11-26 12:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#4 Do you live in England?

#6 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2021-11-26 12:59 PM | Reply

I have a camera pointing at my mailbox to prevent package thievery. It also picks up my neighbors driveway, so I also see every car in and out of his placr, which is none of my business. If he asked me to move it I would. I wouldn't be able to see my mailbox anymore, but that's common courtesy.

#7 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-11-26 03:50 PM | Reply

I aimed all my cameras at England. That will teach them.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-11-27 10:52 AM | Reply

My house my camera you're not local GO HOME!

#9 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-11-27 11:10 AM | Reply