Friday, November 26, 2021

TikToker @hillaryywallace struck a nerve with a relatable takedown of rude boomer-generation customers, with a viral TikTok showing the difference between "younger" and "older" Instacart customers.

Comments

www.dailydot.com

Similar comparison but with tables in restaurants after customers leave.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-26 01:07 PM | Reply

I have to say that the stacking plates one is new to me as a patron, and thinking back to summers of working in the service industry, am not sure whether I would prefer customers to haphazardly attempt to clear their own table.

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-11-26 08:51 PM | Reply

I see so few commercials these days, but this reminds me of the one about the guy turning into his dad after he buys a home. Here's Dr Rick to explain:

www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2021-11-26 11:15 PM | Reply

This article reminds me of one I read about 20 years ago, except they swapped out blacks for boomers when citing servers who complain about niggardly customers who don't eagerly tip as much as they expect them to.

The younger generation is probably more likely to tip for poor service because they know that their comrades are so entitled that if they don't then they'll end up with spit (or worse) in their food the next time they go there.

If they think Boomers are mean, just wait until Gen-Xers start getting their bitter revenge upon society for denying their existence all these years.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-27 05:08 AM | Reply

It is easy to be nice and tip well. It's work to be a jerk.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-11-27 06:19 AM | Reply

I get it.

#6 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-11-27 06:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

niggardly
#4 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

I bet you had a lot of fun typing that.

#7 | Posted by JOE at 2021-11-27 08:40 AM | Reply

I have to say that the stacking plates one is new to me as a patron

However, everything will essentially be organized on the main plate for easier cleaning. All silverware on the plate with napkin on top. Two reaches to the same place and all that's left on the table are plates and cups.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-27 09:12 AM | Reply

"Having worked in restaurants I know that stacking is a no no. Servers and bussers have their own way of combining to make things easy to carry."

Have to admit to stacking plates. We do it out of courtesy to our waitperson.
Thanks for the tip, no more stacking.

#9 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-11-27 09:29 AM | Reply

Just organized so everything isn't scattered across the table.

But especially for servers removing plates between courses, weight distribution is an important thing.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-27 09:35 AM | Reply

"As a fellow Gen-Xer, it all makes sense to me now. Instead of taking your satisfactions as they come, you decided to become a Nazi.
I get it."

Excellent self-parody of a Gen-Xer. Bitter, cynical, always assuming the worst about other people to justify your negative worldview.

#11 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-27 10:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I bet you had a lot of fun typing that."

Why?

#12 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-27 10:42 AM | Reply

So I see Gen Xers are capable stereotyping a whole group of American individuals as well as them grumpy old boomers do!

So basically what we are saying here is nothing has changed in the conflict between the generations.

Same as it ever was ...

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-11-27 10:45 AM | Reply

Donner feels attacked lol.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-11-27 12:48 PM | Reply

Insta-what now?

#15 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-11-27 01:41 PM | Reply

Triggered

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-11-27 02:18 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by sentinel

Gen Xers are just like trump supporters?

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-11-27 02:27 PM | Reply

Donner feels attacked lol.

#14 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Why would you assume that? Because I commented?

Generational differences and conflicts have gone on since the beginning of time.

Stereotyping a whole group because of your own personal experiences is nothing new either. I did it to my preceding generation too.

So ... Why would I feel attacked for just pointing out what should be obvious.

And if it's not obvious to you now. It will be eventually.

The Wheel of Time is funny like that.

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-11-27 02:31 PM | Reply

My kids call me a boomer because of how long it took me to let go of the landline at home and the fact that I wont go paperless on certain bills. It was just a couple weeks ago that my son set up apple pay on my phone.

#19 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-11-27 03:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#18 the fact that you felt the need to point out the obvious means you felt attacked by it. I'm not the only person to draw the conclusion. lol

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-11-28 08:53 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

"always assuming the worst about other people"...and generally being right in those assumptions.

Millennials and Gen X have had to deal with selfish entitled Boomers our entire lives. Boomers have done everything they can to enrich themselves and ---- everyone else.

#21 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-11-28 09:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I never see my instacart person, but I always tip. I usually have them go to Aldi because It is the only place I don't like going myself.

#22 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-11-28 09:35 AM | Reply

"the fact that you felt the need to point out the obvious means you felt attacked by it."

So it IS obvious then.

"I'm not the only person to draw the conclusion. lol"

Yeah. You are not the only person to draw that conclusion.

Well then. I guess that proves it!

There is obviously more than one person in the world who thinks they can tell me how I feel.

lol

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-11-28 10:09 AM | Reply

I'm one of the silent generation and have used Instacart for years.

During the worst of the pandemic, I always tipped an extra ten dollars to the shopper. Now it's back to just five dollars, but if the shopper makes an effort to find a seemingly out-of-stock item, the tip goes up to ten dollars again. This is in addition to the small tip already included in the credit card charge.

Never once have the person delivering my order been rude, and this is even before I hand them the additional tip. I often felt guilty placing an order with many items. However, during my last order the nice, young man said they are paid by the items found. I didn't know that and will feel better with my large orders.

I doubt if I'm the exception for being polite with the delivery person. As an octogenarian, I admire these young people willing to work hard for what probably isn't a lot of income.

#24 | Posted by Judity at 2021-11-28 10:10 AM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2021-11-28 10:09 AM | REPLY

Boomer go brrrr!

As somebody in between, the faux old vs young culture war is amusing at least.

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-11-28 10:13 AM | Reply

Never use Instacart but use the ever loving F out of DoorDash.

I think I blew one drivers mind when they called me from the resturant to say they were out of something and did I want a replacement I asked about one and they were out of that too. Driver was like I'm so sorry I said no sweat. Then when they showed up I met them at the door with 5 extra bucks and said thanks for taking the time to call and try and get me a replacement. That's on top of the 20-25% tip I always give.

Shockingly my driver is usualy at the resturant before the food is ready so my stuff is always still hot/cold when I get it. If you hear someone complaing about delivery drivers it's a safe bet they tip for ----.

#26 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-11-28 10:32 AM | Reply

As somebody in between, the faux old vs young culture war is amusing at least.

#25 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Yes. It's amusing that you think you can tell me what I feel.

Carry on with your fake culture wars. That must be a x gen or millennial thing.

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-11-28 10:38 AM | Reply

Everybody knows Gen Xers are best.

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-11-28 10:50 AM | Reply

Best at what? Whining about boomers?

#29 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-11-28 02:00 PM | Reply

Anyone actually read the book "Generation X"?

#30 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-11-28 02:00 PM | Reply

I just like the opportunity to call Sentinel a Nazi, everything else is really just filler.

#31 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-11-29 11:24 AM | Reply