Friday, November 26, 2021

Casting women in TV and film roles previously given to men, such as in Doctor Who or the James Bond franchise, risks leading young males into crime because the only cultural role models left for them are criminals, a Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) has argued.

Comments

Former Doctor Who star Peter Davison did not go that far or use hyperbole, although he did raise concerns about male role models for boys when it was announced Judy Whittaker was (mis)cast in the role.

#1 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-26 09:47 PM | Reply

He needs to sit down and shut up

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-11-26 10:05 PM | Reply

Young boys (and young girls - this is rarely discussed but it's there) need a father-figure in their upbringing for maximum opportunity at life success.

I don't know this is a hill to die on though - a female version of an elite spy (the physical demands put her at a distinct disadvantage) can be interesting and maybe even funny but I don't think it pushes young boys toward criminals as the only father figures remaining. Plenty speak out regularly. Just gotta work past the woke censors and the messages are out there.

#3 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-26 10:16 PM | Reply

I think ceding the word "woke" to left wing bigots is as dumb as ceding things like the "okay" symbol to right wing bigots, even though the former word is far more recent in origin. The so-called "woke agenda" and "virtue signaling" of the entertainment industries in recent years is something that deserves criticism because of their shoddy and dodgy implementations. This swapping out of genders and ethnicities for traditional characters is really nothing more than fetishistic marketing in the same vein as the old blaxploitation and sexploitation genres.

Doctor Who is a really odd duck in regards to this. Unlike James Bond, The Doctor is supposed to be a continuous character who changes his appearance from time to time. They could have explored the implications of a character who had been one sex spontaneously changing into the other, but instead they tried to force a historical revision retcon claiming the Time Lords had always been gender fluid and that gender didn't matter to them, even though generally they weren't and it obviously did up until recently.

Historical revisionism is something that people should rightly be wary of. (And yeah, I know some of the usual trolls here are gonna give me shht responses for that comment, even though I've consistently argued against dubious revisionism, not for it.)

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-27 04:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

If only Ritterhouse had watched more Sean Connery he wouldn't have felt the need to kill?

Interesting ...

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-27 05:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Movie stars as role models? Meh

Young girls may be affected by the glitz and glamor but young boys are more likely to find their idols in the sports arena. (excluding tennis and figure skating)

#6 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-11-27 06:05 AM | Reply

Interesting ...

#5 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2021-11-27 05:40 AM |

Rittenhouse is a Roger Moore fan.

#7 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-11-27 06:22 AM | Reply

LMAO!

What stupid, ignorant, ridiculous blather this Conservative PM spouts! We have equally idiotic Conservative Representatives and Senators, though.

I rather like this headline:

British Idiot Unfortunately Granted Position of Power Says Doctor Who's Female Doctor Makes Men Do Crime

Much, much more accurate. What a hilarious, albeit a tad bit sad, way to start my Saturday!

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2021-11-27 08:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"Conservative MP Nick Fletcher was leading a Parliamentary debate for International Men's Day."

I wonder how many people even know that International Men's Day is a thing. The United Nations recognized International Women's Day in 1977. Two years after International Men's Day was revived by a professor in the southern Caribbean in 1999, the UN let the world know what they think of men by designating the same date as World Toilet Day.

#9 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-27 11:12 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Not a Boaz thread?

#10 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-11-27 01:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

I wonder how many people even know that International Men's Day is a thing.

Everyday is international Men's Day.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-27 02:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Not a Boaz thread?

No, but definitely a Boaz threat, as all the females are jeopardizing his manliness.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-11-27 02:16 PM | Reply

Never had a Dream about tapping Dr. Who until Jodi Whitaker got cast in the role.I'm so confused now.

#13 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-11-27 05:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The author of this thread is so freakin' pathetic

Whining about his failure to be recognized and being denied the appropriate participation trophy

Man up you puss

It's good to be the king. Everyday

#14 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-11-27 06:38 PM | Reply

"Never had a Dream about tapping Dr. Who until Jodi Whitaker got cast in the role. I'm so confused now."

You sound like the type of guy who'd tap Andy Richter's little sister. That's basically who Judi Whittaker is.

#15 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-27 08:50 PM | Reply

Sounds about white.

#16 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-11-28 10:37 PM | Reply

This is the thread where morons who deride entertainers for speaking out on social issues will hoist them up as role models because it advances their cult of misogyny.

If you need a movie star to teach you right from wrong, then your parents have failed you and society in general.

See Kyle Rittenhouse and George Zimmerman as examples...ooohhh don't forget the three racist yahoos in GA that just earned time for murdering Ahmaud Aubury....at least the racist father and son will get to share a cell.

#17 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-11-29 08:17 AM | Reply

They're actually claiming that young males are so weak that any little thing will turn them into criminals.

#18 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2021-11-29 01:00 PM | Reply

" Everyday is international Men's Day. "

No, November 19 is international men's day. Do you know why?

" Let me guess. Next you're going to complain about not having a white history month or Heterosexual pride parades."

You're terrible at guessing but great at projecting your insecurities

#19 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-29 04:46 PM | Reply

" One woman Doctor in 58 years. One female 007 in 27 movies. Oh my, I need to go steal some pearls so I can clutch them."

Oh geez. That clutching pearls comment again. The last time I heard someone use that was when someone I had known for years revealed herself to be a fake friend and shortly afterwards self-deported from my Facebook contacts.

And that wasn't even about Doctor Who, because even though she was a self-described SJW, she agreed with me that Whittaker was both horribly miscast and horribly written as a female lead character with no agency.

#20 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-11-29 05:10 PM | Reply