Saturday, November 27, 2021

Gina Kolata: A new treatment using stem cells that produce insulin has surprised experts and given them hope for the 1.5 million Americans living with the disease.

Comments

Wow that would be cool. Lost an aunt and cousin to it.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-11-27 01:34 PM | Reply

My kidney disease led to diabetes... but the condition and high my blood pressure disappeared after a decade of insulin shots and 2 trips to the e.r. room for ketoacidosis.
Not sure what changed other than cutting my meds by 85% and shortening dyalisis treatments to 3 hours.... either that or my 40 years of cannabis use finally paid off.

#2 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-11-27 01:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

He won't have to take immunosuppresants once we figure our how to turn ordinary cells into stem cells, and I think they just did that with cells. Insulin is now $1000 a month in America and not covered by medicaid or your insurance (pre-existing condition). It's $50 outside the US. Type I working class diabetics are dying left and right, but they don't have a lobby anything like like Big Pharma.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-11-27 02:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'mReady.
It would be swell to not look to the future and see scenarios of kidney failure, loss of limbs, blindness and stroke as likely.
Give em a Nobel and pass them stem cells over my way.

#4 | Posted by purplesage at 2021-11-27 03:57 PM | Reply

Great news!

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-11-28 05:32 AM | Reply

Fantastic. Let's hope this turns out to the the cure and in the process makes the soaring price of insulin irrelevant. I had an uncle who suffered so many horrible complications - amputations, blindness, heart attack - before succumbing to Type I diabetes in his early 50s.

Stem cells seem to hold the key to a wide array of health fixes.

#6 | Posted by cbob at 2021-11-28 01:33 PM | Reply