Sunday, November 28, 2021

Public health officials have been struggling to persuade eligible Americans to get their COVID-19 booster shots. New research could help them make the case that the extra dose will provide substantially more protection -- even if they've also recovered from a coronavirus infection.

Comments

More from the article...

...A small study that's among the first to track people's protective antibodies over time found that those who were immunized against COVID-19 with two doses of an mRNA vaccine and received a booster shot about eight months later saw their levels of neutralizing antibodies skyrocket.

Among this group of 33 fully vaccinated and boosted people, the median level of these antibodies was 23 times higher one week after the booster shot than it had been just before the tune-up dose.

What's more, their median post-booster antibody level was three times higher than was typical for another group of people whose antibodies were measured a few weeks after getting their second dose of vaccine, when they're close to their peak. And it was 53 times higher than that of a group of 76 unvaccinated people who had recovered from COVID-19 just two to six weeks earlier.

Even compared to a group of 73 people who had weathered a bout with COVID-19and went on to get two doses of an mRNA vaccine, the boosted group's median antibody level was 68% higher....

Interesting results from tentative early research.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-11-28 11:02 AM | Reply

Great news Lamp-thanks for posting the article. My wife & I are heading for boosters tomorrow.

#2 | Posted by Yodagirl at 2021-11-28 01:41 PM | Reply

People are saying that downing a KFC snack pack followed by huffing a half can of RAID is also effective.

I don't know it it's true.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-11-28 01:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

I don't know it it's true.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-11-28 01:45 PM | Reply

RAID comes in a lot of formulations. Which one works best?I don't want to have to gag down KFC and then use the wrong RAID!

#4 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-11-28 04:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

A larger study tracking rates of reinfection and severity would be more convincing.

#5 | Posted by visitor_ at 2021-11-28 08:24 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by visitor_

duh.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-29 02:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My childhood friend who has early onset parkinsons has been fighting COVID for three weeks now and is no closer to getting better now than he was three weeks ago.

I implored him to get the vaccine, but he "didn't want the poison".

He called me and while struggling to breathe asked me how to get the vaccine now. It broke my heart to have to tell him that he has to get over COVID and then wait a number of weeks before he can get it.

Took him and his wife Thanksgiving dinner (she has it now too), left it on the porch and called him to let him know it was there.

#7 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-11-29 08:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

JPW thanks for your enlightened comment. Giving us the benefit of your advanced education (snort).

#8 | Posted by visitor_ at 2021-11-29 02:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#5 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

0 killed by booster shot.
5M+ killed by the process involved in developing natural immunity.

Is that a large enough study?

#9 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-11-29 03:47 PM | Reply

There's a lot of science that you don't understand, maybe you should sit this one out JOHNNY_HOTSAUCE.

#10 | Posted by visitor_ at 2021-11-29 04:32 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

How's Beto doing as head of Transportation?

#11 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-11-29 04:47 PM | Reply

Getting my booster next monday...thank God, I could handle the poison but KFC too much for my weakened health these days.

#12 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-11-29 05:15 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Difference between us is that I learn from my mistakes and admit when I'm wrong.

Beto/Butto all the same to me.

#13 | Posted by visitor_ at 2021-11-29 05:32 PM | Reply

My wife and are got our boosters. Also masking when we go shopping.

Too many crazed anti-vaxxers to feel safe eating at an indoor restaurant. Better safe than sorry.

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-11-29 06:42 PM | Reply

I hope that I can get boosters every 6 months.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-11-29 06:45 PM | Reply

Every unnecsessary vaccine shot given to someone already immune or at miniscule risk of major illness is wasted. There are over seven billion of us and the US isn't isolated.

#16 | Posted by visitor_ at 2021-11-29 08:56 PM | Reply

Anyone who isn't vaxxed at this point, by choice, should take a gander at the daily case and death count and ask themselves if they want to add their lives/health to those numbers. Even 'long COVID' isn't fun for the millions who contracted COVID and still harbor the many lingering symptoms.

The numbers are heading in the wrong direction, though they never really went down below 100,000 cases and 1000 deaths a day.

Yesterday's COVID stats (Monday):

United States

Total cases
48.1M
+216K (that we know about)

Deaths
777K
+1,876

www.google.com

#17 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-11-30 02:30 AM | Reply

#8 often times my "advanced education" tells me it's best to not say much because we really don't know much at this point.

I looked at the data in this study. It looks promising. More data is needed.

At this point in time that's all that needs to be said.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-30 08:51 AM | Reply

#10 now it's your turn to enlighten us.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-30 08:52 AM | Reply

"I looked at the data in this study. It looks promising. More data is needed." Duh!

#20 | Posted by visitor_ at 2021-11-30 08:59 AM | Reply