Monday, November 29, 2021

The first 13 cases of people infected with the new Omicron variant in Portugal are all believed to be Belenenses SAD players.

Comments

on a soccer team means its already spread to whomever they played last,
in whatever country they played in... perhaps even further back.

#1 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-11-29 02:17 PM | Reply

I'm seeing a lot of alarming headlines and commentary about Omicron, but not a single article has mentioned anything about it that's actually concerning. If anything, it sounds like Omicron may spread faster but has less severe symptoms. Every article says something like, "Omicron has 30 mutations," but doesn't say why that's a problem. For context, I am not an anti-masker and am fully-vaccinated plus a booster. But why all the alarm? Have I missed something? I've said from the beginning that I hope covid-19 evolves to be less deadly. After all, the virus may spread faster and further if it isn't doing anything more concerning than the common cold.

#2 | Posted by Unisphere at 2021-11-29 03:17 PM | Reply

UNISPHERE

"Have I missed something?"

Apparently, a lot. Primarily, there isn't enough data yet to prove or disprove anything you said. You'll have to forgive us if we take the "better safe than sorry" route.

#3 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-11-29 03:23 PM | Reply

You'll have to forgive us if we take the "better safe than sorry" route.

#3 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

But in the end the "better safe than sorry" route is essentially doing what we're already doing.

Much of the response has been overblown, breathless speculation and predictions.

I follow the virology twitterverse pretty closely and it's been hilariously bad. Dire predictions everywhere with nothing but guesswork to back it. There are only a few, usually older, voices giving the correct answer-we need more information at this time.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2021-11-29 03:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Shut down soccer. It might not help with the virus, but deaths from boredom would decrease.

#5 | Posted by willowby at 2021-11-30 05:22 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY WILLOWBY

Nobody is asking you, let alone demanding you, watch soccer, WILLOWBY.

GTF over yourself.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-11-30 06:31 PM | Reply

I DON'T torture myself trying to watch that crap anymore, rstybeach. If I start suffering from insomnia, I may try again.

#7 | Posted by willowby at 2021-11-30 09:05 PM | Reply