Monday, November 29, 2021

I recently traveled to the hill near the intersection of Main Street and Snake Meadow Hill Road in Sterling. Following advice I'd read online, I turned onto Main Street and drove my car to the first telephone pole and stopped at the bottom of a hill with a slight upward incline. I put my car in neutral and took my foot off the brake.

Comments

More from the article...

...My description of what happened next does not do it justice.

Instead of rolling backward down the hill in accordance with the laws of physics as I understand them, my car started moving up the hill, gaining speed as it went. I'd read this would happen, but I wasn't prepared for just how unsettling and strange it was. Not satisfied with the first attempt, I turned my car around and did it again, then again. Each time my car rolled up the hill with surprising speed. After my third trip up this strange hill, I got out and took the only rounded object I could find in my car, an unopened seltzer can. I put it on the ground sideways and watched, dumbfounded, as it started to roll up the hill. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-11-29 02:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What a cool phenomenon!

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-11-29 08:25 PM | Reply

@#2

I may take a ride over to Sterling one afternoon to see it for myself.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-11-29 09:10 PM | Reply

I've noticed that when driving along mountain creeks and rivers. Sometimes it seems the water is flowing the wrong way.

#4 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-11-29 09:47 PM | Reply

We went to gravity hill as a kid....feels unnatural as can be to see a bowling ball roll uphill. Feels bizarre walking through it, your brain says to lean forward and the room is pulling you the other way.

#5 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-11-30 05:14 AM | Reply

One of the videos of "Gravity Hill" I just found with a quick Google:

www.youtube.com

#6 | Posted by americanunity at 2021-11-30 06:07 AM | Reply

We were taking a driving tour of the west and ran into that. We were driivng what appeared to be down hill but the river next to us seemed to be flowing up hill my dad pulled into a turn off and put the car in neutral and sure enough it rolled "up hill" the direction the river was flowing. Wierd as heck but cool and even now almost 30 years later I still remember it.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-11-30 06:16 AM | Reply