Wednesday, December 01, 2021

Tate Myre, 16, has been identified as one of the three victims who died in the shooting at Oxford High School. The others have been named as 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin, and 14-year-old Hanna St. Julian. According to his fellow students, Myre, who played running back for the Oxford Wildcats football team, was shot while trying to disarm the shooter and later died from his injuries.

Comments

In a world where, in the wake of tragedy, it is oftentimes the perpetrator of terrible acts whose name is plastered across the media and talked about, today we should really discuss Tate Myre - a junior student-athlete who died trying to stop an armed gunman.

Tate had just finished his junior football season and had received all-region for TE and LB ...
His Twitter bio was classic high school recruit, he had a 3.9 GPA, 4.44s 40-yd dash, and benched 225x8. His Junior Highlights pinned for any coaches that might stumble on his account.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-12-01 03:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's Michigan. They'll name the stadium after the gun.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-12-01 03:36 PM | Reply

No child should ever have to even think about doing something like this. Unfortunately Republicans care more about a violent hobby than letting children live.

#3 | Posted by JOE at 2021-12-01 04:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It is way past time to make gun ownership more expensive. We need laws requiring gun purchasers prove, prior to purchase, that they have liability insurance, a gun safe and have received appropriate training. Furthermore, gun owners must certify on a yearly basis that they are of "sound mind", still in possession of the gun and have received additional training.

So, the next time someone says we have enough laws; that all we have to do is enforce existing law, just tell them that we need new laws to prevent tragedies rather than just punishing perpetrators after they have committed a crime.

#4 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-12-01 04:33 PM | Reply

Life isn't sacred and guns are. More people in this country would go to the church of Smith & Wesson than one of them boring churches.

#5 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-12-01 05:03 PM | Reply

This guy RUSHED the man with the gun? Well then, the man with the gun killed him in self-defense.

#6 | Posted by Zed at 2021-12-01 05:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

The guy with the gun killed the good guy.

#7 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-12-01 06:09 PM | Reply

@#6

Your comment made me stop.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-01 06:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Big deal, it's nothing Trump wouldn't have done, but he wouldn't have died like this loser.

#9 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-12-01 08:44 PM | Reply

@#1 ... Those were some impressive stats. It would be fitting for his school to name the stadium after this local hero. ...

I was tempted to vote in the poll, but I decided not to. I do agree with your view that he is a local hero.

The folk of the town should decide how to respect him for future generations.

For the record, I would agree that Tate Myre is a local hero.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-01 08:54 PM | Reply

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2021-12-01 09:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#12 | Posted by willowby at 2021-12-01 09:23 PM | Reply

Sounds good. We could have the holy trinity of Colt, Browning and Kalashnikov.

#13 | Posted by willowby at 2021-12-01 09:28 PM | Reply

"We need laws requiring gun purchasers prove, prior to purchase, that they have liability insurance, a gun safe and have received appropriate training. Furthermore, gun owners must certify on a yearly basis that they are of "sound mind", still in possession of the gun and have received additional training."

What would you hope to accomplish with liability insurance? The owner of this gun probably has it as it comes with his homeowners policy. But with one significant exclusion.....criminal acts.

Sound mind? again, this gun owner could very well pass that. A gun safe? Fair enough....but how do you force them to use it appropriately? Training? absolutely....but any dumb ass gun owner can turn his head and let his 15 year old take one.

Full disclosure.....if there is an issue I stand as far to the left as possible on......it's this one.

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2021-12-01 09:31 PM | Reply

@#12 ... LMAO Good luck with that far left nonsense. I wouldn't comply with any of that. I'm not a class3 or FFL holder. ...

Wow, jus' friggin' wow.

.... LMAO Good luck with that far left nonsense. ...

John 15:12
www.kingjamesbibleonline.org

...As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. 12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. 13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

So... quoting the Bible is "far-left nonsense" ?

Wow, just friggin' wow.

In my decades of participating on message boards, I have not seen such a proud display of ignorance.

Until your comment.

And keep in mind that I am usually adverse to quoting the Bible.

Jus' sayin'

But wow.

Your comment is astounding.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-01 09:59 PM | Reply

Neanderthal Spongecake - Get It On (Bang A Gong)
www.youtube.com

I finally understand the lyrics of this song.

But, Neanderthal Spongecake?

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-02 12:35 AM | Reply

#4 I love these solutions... now apply it to this case and.... oh, it wouldn't have stopped it.

But let's keep banging that drum, and not even pause to figure out what was wrong in the world that made this kid think this was the answer.

#17 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-12-02 08:08 AM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY KWRX25

He was educated by his culture that this was the answer, starting in early childhood.

Start by asking this fifteen-year-old how many times he has been threatened with death, directly and indirectly, by adults and peers?

Jesus, to grow up and live in the United States is to have people threaten to murder you. A bit more often than sometimes and, as witness this kid, they do.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2021-12-02 08:24 AM | Reply

What's the point of open carry? Among other things, to clearly state to your neighbors "I can kill you if I want to".

The power to kill alleviates the need for almost any social skill. The only things you need to know are how to operate a weapon, and that people are afraid of you because you might.

#19 | Posted by Zed at 2021-12-02 08:27 AM | Reply

Open carry is the ultimate dick move. Scared little ------- showing off their murder machines. I can't stand those dorks. If someone successfully grabbed their gun they would cry. It's a pathetic display of overt fear masquerading as strength.

#20 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-12-02 09:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Blue state.

#21 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-12-02 10:28 AM | Reply

Blue state.

#21 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Are you crazy? Trump won Michigan.

#22 | Posted by Zed at 2021-12-02 10:33 AM | Reply

"A High School Football Player Rushed A School Shooter And Sacrificed His Own Life To Save His Classmates"

Thanks, Second Amendment!

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-02 10:58 AM | Reply

Trump won Michigan.

#22 | POSTED BY ZED

Trump won the first time around but lost the state to Biden the second time. So it's more purple than blue or red.

But these days who won the state would depend on which party you ask.

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-12-02 11:10 AM | Reply

But these days who won the state would depend on which party you ask.
#24 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

Sad but true.

Being a sore loser is one thing.

Claiming the other guys cheated, investigating that claim, finding no evidence, and still claiming the other guys cheated is something completely different.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-02 11:14 AM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY KWRX25

Maybe he believed some kind of lie along the lines of we were attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin, or Iraq had a WMD program, and that justified his retaliation.

That would make it make sense to you, right? Right?

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-02 11:19 AM | Reply

Blue state.

#21 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Stuck with national gun laws the Court and Republicans pretend has something to do with the Second Amendment's protection of militias.

#27 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-12-02 03:14 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2021-12-01 05:51 PM | FLAG:

The football player shouldn't have been so upset about his dumpster fire getting put out.

#28 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-12-03 09:49 AM | Reply