Friday, December 03, 2021

The 500 envelopes full of cash and checks were found behind a loose toilet as workers moved insulation out of the wall.

Comments

More from the article...

...A plumber says he found a large amount of money in a wall while he was doing work at the church on Nov. 10, 2021. Evidence from the recovered checks suggests this November case is connected to the March 9, 2014 theft report of undisclosed amounts of money at the church, Houston police confirmed Friday. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-03 05:43 PM | Reply

Another view...

Plumber finds cash, checks behind loose toilet in wall at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church
www.nbcnews.com

...The money mystery comes after $600,000 in checks and cash disappeared from the church's safe in 2014, the Houston Chronicle reported. No arrests were made in the case, and the Houston Police Department's investigation remains open....

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-03 05:45 PM | Reply

Well at least plumber seems honest.

....to be honest it sounds like something weird by someone in lower management.

What kind of a criminal doesn't cash that many checks?

Still here's hoping it brings about the end of Olsteen's slush fund factory.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2021-12-03 05:54 PM | Reply

The phrase "insurance fraud" jumps to mind.

#4 | Posted by morris at 2021-12-03 06:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Was it Satan who put the money there, to try to take down Osteen? Or did The Lord work in mysterious ways to put it there and get Osteen his money back?

It definitely wasn't done by a human. That much I'm sure of.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-03 06:26 PM | Reply

What a worthless piece of work. A total conjob.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-12-03 06:32 PM | Reply

SNOOFY

I think it's the insurance company who wants their money back.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-12-03 06:49 PM | Reply

Matthew 6:24

Jesus is quoted,
"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

I believe we all pick and choose and rationalize what we want to believe and do.

Religious and non-religious both do it.

We justify things we do even though we know it's wrong.

Romans 7:15

Paul wrote in a letter,
"I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate."

I guess it's just part of the human experience and all the more points out Jesus' purpose. We can't get there through good deeds.

I'd guess whoever hid those letters told themselves it was God's will. The last few decades I've noticed the "God wants you rich" crowd started believing the ends justified the means.

#8 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-12-03 09:15 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

G-d wants you rich.
G-d hates abortions.
G-d sent Trump.

G-d is a right-wing wet dream.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-03 09:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Anyone seen the show "Animal Kingdom "? It's on prime video ( good show ) ..about a family that comits crimes.

This got me thinking Olsteen fleeces the gullible, selling them salvation and at night has crews running smash and grabs.
How much money has been laundered threw his "church"?

#10 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-12-03 11:20 PM | Reply

That reminds me of the Robert Tilton saga. Thousands of prayer cloths (minus the money) letters of prayer request (my son has cancer, etc.) were discovered in a dumpster behind a bank in Tulsa.

Tilton himself built a $360,000 mansion in Miami with a teakwood deck and a 50ft luxury yacht.

Even after doing prison time, he went back on TV and raked in $Millions$.

If there was ever any doubt about how many 'suckers' live in America, start there. They are legion.

#11 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-12-04 05:09 AM | Reply

Ah, and who can forget the Jim Bakker and Jerry Falwell drama. Fallwell rushed in to help his good friends, Jim and Tammy Bakker, when their ministries fell on hard times over Jim's marital scandal. Then it turned out that all Falwell did was steal what the Bakkers' called their "suckers list."

Aptly named.

#12 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-12-04 05:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Robert Tilton was the only one that I found engaging. I called the number and the nice lady sent me a Prayer Cloth and Annointing Oil. Along with the calendar so I could plant my Seed of Faith by giving money to Robert Tilton on the regular.

That show was as entertaining as most anything on TV.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-04 11:36 AM | Reply

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
I'll make you a believer"

#14 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-12-04 11:40 AM | Reply

I hate it when people hold onto my checks for that long. Rude!

#15 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-12-04 11:44 AM | Reply

How about all the tent revivals over the years that were shams?

This is hardly anything new.

Selling the Gospel can be quite profitable.

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-12-04 04:55 PM | Reply

I miss Dr Gene Scott. He was kewl.

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-12-04 04:59 PM | Reply

Selling the Gospel can be quite profitable.
#16 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

It's clear confirmation of something most of us suspected, making it newsworthy. Problem here is that even though the scam has been exposed, those who have been scammed will continue choosing to be victims. All in the name of the almighty.

#18 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-12-04 05:12 PM | Reply

"This is hardly anything new."

The TV part is new.
Instead of reaching everyone in a tent, you can reach millions at once.
And when you're a charismatic figure, you can rise to power that way. Like Trump is to some, like Obama is to some.
Like Benny Hinn is to some.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-04 05:38 PM | Reply

Feels like an episode of "The Righteous Gemstones".

#20 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2021-12-04 09:32 PM | Reply

My favorite preachers are those obscure guys on small town Sunday morning radio that have that style where they say I'm giving you the word huh, the word of jesus huh, and the damnation HUH, and so on. They still have those guys I would bet.

#21 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2021-12-04 11:36 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

"you can reach millions at once."

Store front preachers are no different from politicians.

Playing on people's hopes and fears to manipulate people.

#22 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-12-05 09:28 AM | Reply

Snoofy,

One of my personal favorite tv evangelists is Jimmy Swaggart.

He's a man of the world and a man of God.

Swaggart understands temptation and sin.

And he understands remorse and mercy and grace.

I always found it interesting he and Jerry Lee Lewis are cousins.

Jimmy Swaggart also plays the piano and can pound the keys.

Would love to hear them play together.

#23 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-12-05 09:34 AM | Reply

Bill's been hacked!

You are actually speaking the God's honest truth.

#24 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-12-05 11:03 AM | Reply