Saturday, December 04, 2021

Democratic lawmakers have reintroduced a bill in Congress that hopes to prevent the use of so-called "grinch bots" to effectively rob little boys and girls (and PC builders) of their precious Christmas toys, according to PCMag. These dastardly bots are automated technology that can purchase all of the stock of in-demand gadgets.

Comments

I couldn't believe what my 7 year old GTX970 graphics card was worth. 400.00-700.00.I paid less new.

#1 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-12-04 04:41 PM | Reply

I couldn't believe what my 7 year old GTX970 graphics card was worth.

Wish me luck... I'm off to Cowtown tomorrow to look for a new vid card.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-12-04 04:57 PM | Reply

@#2

I've seen reports that the vid card shortage is easing once NVidia started limiting the cards from mining.

Nvidia Expands Mining Limiter to RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 Graphics Cards
www.pcmag.com

But then there was this...

Nvidia GPU mining limiter 100% dodged by mining two cryptocurrencies at once
www.pcgamer.com

So the cat-and-mouse game seems to continue.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-04 05:29 PM | Reply

#1 Same. I paid $279 for a GTX 1070, same card sells on eBay for $450.

On the other hand,

If I had just mined with my card 24x7 from the time I got it four or five years ago,
I'd have tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in Ethereum by now.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-04 05:34 PM | Reply

I've seen reports that the vid card shortage is easing...

I'm hoping so. Can't find much online but I know some folks that have been finding them on the shelves in the stores. I don't need anything super exotic.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-12-04 08:16 PM | Reply

I don't need anything super exotic.
#5 | POSTED BY REDIAL

If you can get by with 4GB of video RAM, you can find a card.

Because the Ethereum mining blocks are over 4GB now.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-04 10:12 PM | Reply

If you can get by with 4GB of video RAM, you can find a card.

I just need to replace an AMD 5800 that cooked on me last week.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-12-04 10:29 PM | Reply

The problem is...

I need high capacity disk drives.

I've been digitizing my vinyl albums.

96/24 takes up disk space.

So... I've been looking for disk drives in the 12TB to 18TB range.

A year or so ago, an 18TB drive from Seagate (IronWolf) was around $350 on bhphoto.com.

Let's just say that price has increased of late..

Significantly increased.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-04 11:16 PM | Reply

Buy a NAS?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-05 12:03 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2021-12-04 11:16 PM

Okay I don't know what you just said but I have a huge vinyl collection that I'd like to digitize. Any suggestions on how/where to get started?

#10 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-12-06 08:31 AM | Reply