Wednesday, December 08, 2021

Michael Steinhardt, the billionaire hedge fund pioneer and one of New York's most prolific antiquities collectors, has surrendered 180 stolen objects valued at $70 million and been barred for life from acquiring any other relics, officials said Monday.

Comments

Several hundred times the value of all crowdsourced mass "looting" events combined.

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-12-07 01:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No prison time for thieves?

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-12-07 02:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Real life Indiana Jones

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-12-07 03:08 PM | Reply

No prison time for the wealth.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead

FTFY - Courtesy of the US "Justice" system.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-12-07 05:55 PM | Reply

I think I have a solution to the problem of the "justice" system coming down harder on the poor. Whatever a fine currently is, ratchet it up based on how far above the poverty line a person is. If the current fine for speeding is $80, and the poverty line for a family of 4 is $26,500, take 80/26500 = .3% of their annual income. Now multiply that by the offender's income. Lets assume someone makes $1 million a year. Their fine for speeding will be $3,000. This is just a brainstorm. We'd need to take into consideration a person's assets. Off the top of my head, I'd probably multiply their assets by 5% and add that to their income. So a billionaire with $0 income (for the sake of calculation) would have an implied income of $50 million. Multiply that by .3% = $150,000 fine for speeding. You get the picture.

I'm willing to bet that we'd see rapid change in the justice system if it applied "equally" to everyone as outlined above. I'd definitely start driving the speed limit! I've been dirt poor and I've had income that puts me in the 10% of US households. Getting a speeding ticket at my lowest point was life-altering and made it all that much harder to pull myself out of the hole I was in. Right now, when my income isn't the highest its been but is multiples greater than the poverty line, a speeding ticket would piss me off, but it wouldn't change my life one iota. That doesn't seem right to me. If my fine for was suddenly $500, I'd think hard about speeding.

The point is that this billionaire should have been hit with a fine that actually means something, say half his net worth.

#5 | Posted by Unisphere at 2021-12-08 09:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Here's the same article FREE from NBC

www.nbcnews.com ~ BILLIONAIRE SURRENDERS $70 MILLION IN STOLEN RELICS

#6 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-12-08 09:24 AM | Reply

I remember reading one of those evil socialist European nations (Norway?) had progressive fines for traffic violations based on an offenders net worth. I read one billionaire got a $1.5 million speeding ticket. The argument is that a $100 ticket is pocket change to a billionaire. www.nbcnews.com

It should be the same here in the US.

This is just another example of white wealthy privilege at work.

This ------- deserves jail time AND a hefty fine.

#7 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-12-08 11:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I love it! Anything else isn't justice. Equal application of the law requires it. Seems to me like right-wingers would agree if they had any principles. Honestly, I think a lot of lefties would agree for the wrong reasons, but that doesn't bother me as much as hypocrisy.

#8 | Posted by Unisphere at 2021-12-08 12:55 PM | Reply

Billionaires as a whole tend to seem like a pretty contemptible group. Something about being extremely wealthy seems to make a person feel like the rules do not apply to them.

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-12-08 01:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#9 | POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2021-12-08 01:22 PM | REPLY | FLAG:MMMMHHMMMMM

That is why China now and then "disappears" its billionaires if they get too full of themselves.
www.forbes.com

#10 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-12-08 03:44 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-12-08 01:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

With the exception of Madoff and Epstine who stole and cheated on other billionaires, name one person in the privileged class that is held accountable.

That is because when they steal from the middle class and poor, the rules don't apply to them. That is the system they bought and paid for.

Look at Brock Lesner, that Affluenza kid, the rapist from Lewiston NY, the heir to the dupont fortune who raped his three year old daughter, etc....

www.bbc.com

www.prisonlegalnews.org

www.therichest.com

#11 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-12-09 01:14 PM | Reply

Rich? Surrender some of the goods you stole.

Poor? Have the goods seized, everything else seized, and go to jail for decades.

#12 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-12-09 03:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The international art market is a largely unregulated enterprise, one which often serves as a laundry. God only knows what's stored in Switzerland.

#13 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-12-09 03:16 PM | Reply

displayed a rapacious appetite for plundered artifacts without concern for the legality of his actions, the legitimacy of the pieces he bought and sold, or the grievous cultural damage he wrought across the globe

...as the British Empire blushes, shuffles her feet and lightly whistles in the air.

#14 | Posted by BluSky at 2021-12-09 11:07 PM | Reply