Wednesday, December 08, 2021

Kurt Vonnegut: Unstuck in Time is first and foremost a biography of a beloved American author. But it also documents a filmmaker's odyssey as he examines the impact of a writer's legacy on his own life, extending far beyond the printed page.

Comments

"So it goes."

"Kurt told me once that, "We don't know the first thing about time."

Official Trailer

www4.watchserieshd.tv

"My politics in a nutshell: let's stop giving corporations and newfangled contraptions what they need, and get back to giving human beings what we need."

"I apologize now. I apologize because of the terrible mess the planet is in. But it has always been a mess. There have never been any "Good Old Days," there have just been days. And as I say to my grandchildren, "Don't look at me. I just got here myself." So you know what I'm going to do? I declare everybody here a member of Generation A. Tomorrow is another day for all of us."

"It is a tragedy, perhaps, that human beings can get so much energy and enthusiasm from hate. If you want to feel ten feet tall and as though you could run a hundred miles without stopping, hate beats pure cocaine any day. Hitler resurrected a beaten, bankrupt, half-starved nation with hatred and nothing more. Imagine that."

Kurt Vonnegut,

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-12-07 05:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"There's only one rule I know of"Goddam it, you've got to be kind."
Kurt Vonnegut, If This Isn't Nice, What Is?: Advice for the Young

"And don't try to make yourself an extended family out of ghosts on the Internet. Get yourself a Harley and join the Hell's Angels instead."

www.goodreads.com

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2021-12-07 05:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The backwards-running film, the bombs being unloaded and taken apart.

#3 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-12-08 08:32 AM | Reply

Worst movie adaptation of all time. One of the many reasons why I hate Jerry Lewis.

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-12-08 08:35 AM | Reply

He gave a university graduate speech that began:

"I was so innocent once that I still considered it possible that we could become the humane and reasonable America so many members of my generation used to dream of. We dreamed of such an America during the Great Depression, when there were no jobs. And then we fought and often died for that dream during the Second World War, when there was no peace.

But I know now that there is not a chance in hell of America's becoming humane and reasonable. That is because power corrupts us, and absolute power corrupts us absolutely. Human beings are chimpanzees who get crazy drunk on power. I myself have experienced that intoxication. I was once a Corporal.

By saying our leaders are power-drunk chimpanzees, am I in danger of wrecking the morale of our men and women fighting and dying in the Middle East? Their morale, like so many of their bodies, is already shot to pieces. They are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas.

But I will say this:

No matter how corrupt and greedy our government and our corporations and our media and Wall Street and our religious and charitable organizations may become, the music will still be perfectly wonderful.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

The only proof he needed of the existence of God was music."

www.avclub.com

He was a Humanist, of course, but not a ----- about it.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2021-12-08 10:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The only proof he needed of the existence of God was music."

That's a pretty good sign that something is definitely up!

What about love? I thought it was because love exists there must be a god of love. Can't see it can't measure it can't bottle it can't prove it exists yet it exists and changes the world. And it exists apart from humans as animals display examples of inter species love without any human intervention needed except to witness it.

When I was younger I really really wanted to meet Kurt Vonnegut. Then I read a story about someone also who also wanted to meet him and set out to do it but it turned out to be a big disappointment. Kurt was just a grumpy old man who really didn't like the company of fawning adoring fans like me. Then I realized I preferred my imagination to ruining my love for him and his stories with the real and very human thing. And I didn't need to really meet him to have that.

Kurt Vonnegut was just man. Who had some really great stories to tell. And he told them very well! And in some ways he was a genius. But still just a man with many of the flaws of a man.

But. Thank you Kurt for everything no matter where you are unstuck right now. I probably won't ruin my fantasy of him any further by watching this. At least not right away. But thanks for sharing corky! Always nice to be reminded of Kurt and his accomplishments.

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-12-08 12:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

One of the greatest writers of his age.
And like all of the 'greatest human beings',
it was because he told the truth.

#7 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-12-08 01:50 PM | Reply

Vonnegut was one of the great American writers of the 20th Century. Certainly in the top 20. (I know some people would put him in the top 5.) I am uncertain to what degree his writing still resonates in our very culturally and politically different society as compared to 50 years ago. This unfortunately is the fate of much great literature. Future generations can still appreciate it, but not in the same way or in the same depth as the generation it is written by and written for.

I still think that Slaughterhouse 5 should be mandatory reading for all high school students.

#8 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-12-08 01:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- Kurt and his accomplishments.

His quotes about America then are even more obviously pertinent to today's America. And much of the rest of it is him just basically being a nice guy while having some success... which is much more difficult a life than many think it is.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2021-12-08 05:05 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2021-12-08 01:55 PM | FLAG:

He's referenced in a Run The Jewels song. That's about as mainstream as you can get. They just don't sample that line in commercials.. or that song really...

Look at all these slave masters posin' on your dollar.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-12-09 12:12 PM | Reply