Tuesday, December 07, 2021

The majority of canine breeds are highly inbred, contributing to an increase in disease and health care costs throughout their lifespan, according to a new study. Dogs are often recognized for distinctive traits--the short legs of a dachshund, the wrinkled face of a pug, the spotted coat of a Dalmatian. Unfortunately, the genetics that give various breeds their particular attributes are often the result of inbreeding. ... The average inbreeding based on genetic analysis across 227 breeds was close to 25%, or the equivalent of sharing the same genetic material with a full sibling.

Comments

Lots of breeds, especially the popular ones, are not naturally occurring. They were bred for a specific purpose.

I have a Shiba Inu, which is/was regarded as an ancient breed. I'd be interested to see if inbreeding affected ancient breeds as much as modern breeds.

#1 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-12-07 09:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Well duh. This might just be an urban myth but purebreeds live half as long as mutts. All that inbreeding is why.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-07 10:01 PM | Reply

Toy dogs are often tragically inbred.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2021-12-07 11:13 PM | Reply

My mutt, mostly German Shepard / Yellow Lab turns 9 this year. He goes to the vet for checkups (and to get fixed as a puppy), but has never had a single health problem. I expect him to live to be 13-15 based on his weight of 90 lb. 16 is old for a dog his size.

We have 4 dachshunds all rescues, two are siblings. We rescued one, then two, then four. They're all under 4 and are in pretty good health. Everything in the house has ramps, we discourage jumping from anything higher than a foot off the ground. This is to save their spines; lots of wiener dogs with "wheelchairs" because of bad spines. Doxies can live to be around 20 years old, because of their small size. Like Captain Obvious mentions in #1, these were bred to hunt badgers. They get to dig all they want at home, but I don't like them harassing the wildlife. Yet I have no doubt they have every bit of courage and skill required to subdue a badger.

I like dogs, as you might tell. Purebreds can be a lot of fun, and their personalities can be broadly reliable. Mutts can be a mixed bag, so to speak. I've had great ones, I had one I had to put down for going after my daughter who was two at the time. He did it twice. Sorry bud, but no. I didn't feel comfortable giving him to a rescue, he was very aggressive.

Fixing your dog definitely improves overall health throughout the dog's life, particularly with males. Fix your dog, and if you're going to have puppies, keep it to a few litters and do it when they're young. Then get them fixed.

#4 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-12-07 11:21 PM | Reply

Buy a mutt. Dogs are not objects. Better yet, don't enslave animals for your pleasure.

#5 | Posted by Brennnn at 2021-12-07 11:31 PM | Reply

"Better yet, don't enslave animals..."

Are you kidding? If reincarnation exists, I want to come back as my pet.

#6 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-12-08 02:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

BRENNNN

" Better yet, don't enslave animals for your pleasure"

In my house, I do everything and my cat is a lady of leisure.

Tell me again who is the slave.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-12-08 03:09 AM | Reply

The " mutts are healthier" argument doesn't pass muster because nearly all mutts are the result of accidental breedings between purebreds, so they are carrying exactly the same pool of genetic defects inherent in each of the " source" breeds. Diversifying the gene pool doesn't fix genetic defects, it merely hides them.

Sadly, most people get their purebreds from indiscriminate backyard breeders and puppy mills. If you really want a healthy dog, you need to pay more and get one from a responsible breeder who is committed to improving the health of his/her breed of choice. He /she will be testing all breeding stock and puppies for health defects and removing carriers from their breeding program.

#8 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-12-08 06:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"because nearly all mutts are the result of accidental breedings between purebreds"

I find that to be an outlandish claim.

#9 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-12-08 08:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Boy I would love to dive into this conversation, I will come back if I have time.

But quickly:

- No s--t Sherlock on the inbreeding and it is worse than ever because of completely irresponsible home breeders, puppy mills and dog shows. Actually same thing with cat breeds.
- Inbreeding exposes more of the dogs naturally occurring genetic defects. Same thing in any species. It doesn't create them and having a mutt doesn't "hide" them. A mutt may very well develop the genetic issues common to either or both of it's parents. For example, Hip Dysplasia is a very common problem in dogs of MANY breeds - especially larger dogs. I have seen it in mutts as well.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-12-08 09:39 AM | Reply

What I find as asinine as inbreeding is the denial of dog owners accepting that basically meaningless certification of the breeder ensuring that their 5 thousand dollars genetically modified froo froo wolf is free of defects.

as if!

#11 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-12-08 12:41 PM | Reply

Dogs survive and prosper due to the patronage of humans. Sadly, they exist in large numbers based on human whim. No surprise then that we bend and contort their genes to make them more pleasing.

Personally, I think it is sick. I always get my dogs from the humane society.

#12 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-12-08 01:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So are most Trumpers.

#13 | Posted by a_monson at 2021-12-08 03:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This is news?

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-12-08 03:23 PM | Reply

By number of puppy mills, the top four states in the Humane Society's "Horrible Hundred" list are Missouri, Ohio, Iowa, and Nebraska. All red states.

www.humanesociety.org

Please support your local animal rescue.

#15 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-12-08 05:05 PM | Reply

I had a coworker who had two English Bulldogs. He literally had to wipe their behind for them.

My current house pony was a pound adoption. He's half labrador retriever and half Boxer - smartest pooch I ever owned.

#16 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2021-12-08 05:10 PM | Reply

"Diversifying the gene pool doesn't fix genetic defects, it merely hides them."

But if the defects are hidden for the life of the mutt, isn't that success?

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-12-08 05:21 PM | Reply

"nearly all mutts are the result of accidental breedings between purebreds"

Our rescue was sold to us as a "German Shepard Mix". Doggy DNA showed this order:

Australian Cattle Dog, Border Collie, Pit, Akita, Chow-Chow, German Shepherd. Some mix.

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-12-08 05:25 PM | Reply

"I have a Shiba Inu, which is/was regarded as an ancient breed."

LOL!!!

No surprise here.

#19 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-12-08 06:06 PM | Reply

I had an Aussie Shepherd/Border Collie etc. mix from the pound. Awesome dog. She'd climb anything. I'd go up on the roof to clean gutters, fix shingles, whatever - she'd follow me right up the ladder. Incredibly smart too, she could figure out how to open any door.

#20 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-12-08 06:07 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by Miranda7

Pure unadulterated stupid.

No surprise, considering the source.

#21 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-12-08 06:09 PM | Reply

Been caring for stray/shelter/abandon pups for over 30 yrs - 10 altogether.

Three acquired as puppys, the rest mature to old.

Lotta heart break - all "mixed breeds", but all great dogs.

#22 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-12-08 06:24 PM | Reply

Losing your best friend over and over is just about the worst.
I guess we decide not trying again is the worst.

#23 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-12-08 06:33 PM | Reply

Dog Breeds and Trump supporters having something in common! Amazing!

#24 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-12-08 06:34 PM | Reply

"I had an Aussie Shepherd/Border Collie etc. mix from the pound. Awesome dog."

Ours started out a terror. (We got her the first day available: 8 weeks.) She was impossible to tire out. I kept begging the vet to please let me walk her, or take her to the bark park. Of course, I was forbidden, until she'd finished getting all her shots. The day after the last shot, we went to the BP for the first time, and that night my wife asked me how we could trade this new sweet dog for that prior crazy one. It soon became obvious our choice was either one hour at the BP...or 3-4 hours nightly tearing up the living room. Over the next 365 days, we made almost 400 visits, even in a -15 blizzard (which she and her double coat LOVED). It's been a slog, but she's slowly turning into a sweetheart.

"She'd climb anything."

Hmmm. Ours always has to be on top of the back of the sofa. I wonder which breed gave her that.

"she could figure out how to open any door."

Yikes. She'd get in soooo much trouble.

#25 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-12-08 07:33 PM | Reply

"So are most Trumpers.
#13 | POSTED BY A_MONSON"

How did you make the leap from dog breeding to President Trump?

#26 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-12-09 08:39 AM | Reply

#21 grow TF up you miserable wretched troll.

#27 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-12-09 08:21 PM | Reply

#9 outlandish? How so? All mutts descend from purebreds, do they not?

#28 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-12-09 08:23 PM | Reply

Purebreds, lol.

Dogs are all the same breed, it's called a dog.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-09 08:31 PM | Reply

Do you think nature provided us with Shih Tzus and Portugese Water Dogs, or did we selectively breed them?

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-09 08:38 PM | Reply

We've had 3 or 4 dogs at one time for many years. All rescues someone threw away.

We refer to all of them as "purehearts." Their ability to shed the past and get happy again is always a wonderful thing to behold. Especially those who were abused. Love, patience, time, and treats works every time without fail.

We just had to help our 15 year old to "The Rainbow Bridge" last week. She had a tumor on her spine that made her limp on one back leg. The vet told us it would eventually get the other leg and leave her paralyzed, which is what happened, suddenly.

I met that sweet girl when she was a year old when I went to pull another dog from the rural shelter. Another rescue had already picked up the one I came for by the time I got there.

The female animal control person asked if I'd follow her 'in back.' There in the last kennel before 'the door' (euthanasia) was this super sweet large-ish dog.

"I found her under her owner's abandoned house still trying to take care of her dead puppies." (gulp)

When I went to offer this sweet dog a treat, she sat, tail gently wagging, and kissed my hand instead.

"Is there ANY way you could take her?," pleaded the woman. Well, how could I not?!

Took her home for a bath. A few days later, to the vet for shots and a spay, then another week to chill and recover from her surgery.

We had three of our own fur kids at the time. Longtime friends had just lost one of their two a couple weeks before. When I took her over to meet them, she sat in front of the husband and put her paw on his knee, tail wagging. They instantly fell in love with her.

Flash forward to 2018 ... The wife has diabetes and had to have her foot amputated. They could no longer care for her so she moved in with us. What a total sweetheart she was. Always near, tail always wagging. She had a lot of fun during her time with us and knew she was loved.

#31 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-12-09 08:48 PM | Reply