Thursday, December 09, 2021

Michigan school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley has been appointed an attorney by the court after his parents hired their own high-profile legal team but not a lawyer to represent their son on his murder and terrorism charges.

Comments

This is going to be a headline case, for better or worse.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-08 09:40 PM | Reply

No wonder the kid is all effed up. They obviously don't care about their own son. I hope that they get convicted to the max.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-12-08 10:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

I hope that they get convicted to the max.

It will be interesting to see who sticks up for them here. They seem like major losers.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-12-08 10:05 PM | Reply

I'm more interested in the people who stick up for "the system." People who say there was no reason to take his gun away. People who say it would be wrong for us to even know he has a gun.

It's well-armed turtles all the way down.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-08 10:33 PM | Reply

@#4

Gang Of Four - I Love A Man In Uniform
www.youtube.com

Lyrics excerpt

...
Time with my girl I spent it well
I had to be strong for my woman
(You must be joking, oh man you must be joking)
She needed to be protected

The good life was so elusive
Handouts, they got me down
I had to regain my self-respect
So I got into camouflage

The girls they love to see you shoot

...

To have ambitions was my ambition
But I had nothing to show for my dreams
...

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-08 10:50 PM | Reply

People who say there was no reason to take his gun away.

That will be an interesting question: Whose gun was it? Dad's or the kid's? Was it the only one in the "household"?

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-12-08 11:00 PM | Reply

@#6 ... That will be an interesting question: Whose gun was it? ...

Yup.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-12-08 11:28 PM | Reply

This is just more evidence of the left destroying the nuclear family

- - boazwringer

#8 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-12-09 12:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Ethan Crumbley, I suspect, really wanted to murder his parents.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2021-12-09 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Those parents might literally be the worst parents in the world, worst people in the world.

#10 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-12-09 10:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 I agree.

#11 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-12-09 10:53 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Now now ... they are innocent until proven guilty.

The problem is we can all see the results of their criminal negligence.

This is just another sad tale of more victims of incredible amount misinformation and disinformation we are seeing on Fakebook and all across the internet and the criminal negligence of the MAGA movement and all it's leaders.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-12-09 10:57 AM | Reply

The kid's obvious fetal alcohol syndrome really drives home you how little this kid's parents have cared about him.

#13 | Posted by qcp at 2021-12-09 11:14 AM | Reply

Man, I need to proof read better.

The kid's obvious fetal alcohol syndrome really drives home how little his parents have cared about him.

#14 | Posted by qcp at 2021-12-09 11:17 AM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY QCP AT 2021-12-09 11:17 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

What makes it obvious to you doctor?

It certainly seems he was raised in a dysfunctional household by people who were negligent in their responsibilities as parents.

I still don't see how the school has escaped being charged for their negligence in this tragedy. Other than the DA realizes that would certainly hurt the defendants when the inevitable lawsuits against the school start rolling in.

#15 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-12-09 11:50 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2021-12-08 10:02 PM | REPLY | FLAG:PPPFFFTTTTT

Oh please! They cared enough to buy him a pistol! The rest is on him.
Yours truly
The Righty Tightys.

#16 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-12-09 12:20 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY QCP

So I'm not the only one who noticed the wideset narrow eyes and the flat nose bridge.

#17 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-12-09 09:40 PM | Reply

That kid is a poster child for retroactive abortion.

#18 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-12-09 10:53 PM | Reply

As a public defender, the reality is that every so often we get stuck with the cases nobody else wants to handle because there is almost nothing the lawyer is going to be able to accomplish for the client beyond providing a sympathetic ear and loyalty. As a shield, sometimes the egregious facts of a case render the lawyer useless. They are just long, miserable and painful affairs.

#19 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-12-10 01:02 PM | Reply

Mod
Given the kid is 15 and would appear to have serious mental health issues I would imagine there are at least 2 avenues for a defense strategy

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-12-10 01:10 PM | Reply

Absolutely. There is a ton of things his lawyers will be required to do. But when all is said and done, there is no happy ending in this case. There are no exchanges of high fives or victory walks around the office. Just exhaustion and relief that it is over and that you morally and ethically did everything within your power to help the kid.

I once represented a 15 year old boy who in the coldest of blood premeditated and carried out the murder of his mother. Yes his age (brain development) and mental health were big factors. But there are no happy endings.

#21 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-12-10 01:13 PM | Reply

Did she deserve it?

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-10 01:17 PM | Reply

Tragedy no doubt
I figure Ethan is looking at life in prison at 15
Not sure that is justice but the victims he killed certainly deserve justice as well
Horrible situation

#23 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-12-10 01:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

To be clear ... ..I am NOT defending the parents, just some perspective on their defense strategy.

Juveniles automatically get a court appointed attorney, for free. For a capital crime, It will probably be a pretty decent one on rotation from the private sector. The parents are not indigent and do not qualify for a public defender, so they have no choice but to hire their own, or represent themselves, which would be reckless. An attorney would likely encourage them to put their own defense first. They can't do much fir their son while unemployed and behind bars.

An analogy: During pre flight instructions, the flight attendant tells you to put an oxygen mask on yourself first before helping your children with theirs. The reason is that if you pass out you can't help,your child and you both die. This kid isn't going anywhere, he's not going to make bond, and like Moder said, there is no happy ending. The parents have jobs and other children to support. Their first priority is to get their bonds reduced so they can get out of jail. For that they need a good attorney. Only after they are released and reemployed can they even consider funding their murderous son's defense. That would likely bankrupt their entire family forever, with no happy ending. It may be wiser to let the appointed attorney handle it for free.

#24 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-12-10 08:47 PM | Reply

It's far more likely they just don't give a ----. Visit their kid in jail? Eff no... let's empty the ATM and run for it.

#25 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-12-10 09:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I am NOT defending the parents"

I think I understand what you're trying to convey with that comment.

But you are in fact saying their decisions are probably what's best. I'd call that a defense. You can defend their decisions without sanctioning the choices that led them to this place.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-10 09:32 PM | Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if these parents bought their kid a gun hoping he'd kill himself with it.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-12-10 09:33 PM | Reply

Good point. They probably freaked when he gave himself up and the cops didn't ventilate him.

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-12-10 09:37 PM | Reply

Since Ethan's parents hired their own attorney, it's more likely they're comparing their own situation to the charges filed against the parents in the Rittenhouse case.

And they'd probably be right.

#29 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-12-11 12:03 AM | Reply