Monday, January 10, 2022

Michael Hiltzik writes a column for the LA Times about whether it is appropriate to mock the unvaccinated who die of Covid: "Among all the ways that COVID-19 affects our lives, the pandemic confronts us with a profound moral dilemma: -- How should we react to the deaths of the unvaccinated?"

Comments

I like him. He's no Gustavo Arellano, but then again, who is?

On topic - you got sold a bill of goods by a con-man and you died. Sucks for you. Not necessarily mocking, but you got what you deserved, you non-thinking sheeperson.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-01-10 11:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

This thread reminds me of a Kirsten Gillibrand supporter I once knew who mocked the deaths of anyone killed by gun violence if they ever voted for Republicans, or if they ever made comments that could be perceived as "disparaging" gun control measures. I'm sure that in her bizarro mind she thought her comments were "necessary" and somehow productive. It was really quite pathetic. That's all I'm going to say on this.

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2022-01-11 12:20 AM | Reply

Mocking the dead is mean-spirited and dissuades more than persuades. Such deaths are to be expected and speak for themselves. We don't need the as***** all smirking "I told you so".

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-01-11 12:23 AM | Reply

profound moral dilemma

It isn't. These people are victims of propaganda and their own egos. Not funny... terrifying and sad.

For once I am in agreement with Sentinel.

#4 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-01-11 12:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Honestly, in many ways the mocking is a way of venting frustration. I will be more measured in the future, but any common sense says get your damn vaccination.

#5 | Posted by bocaink at 2022-01-11 01:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's just too hard for some. And yes,they are stupid. They deserve contempt for being careless,selfish and stupid. Contempt is what they get from me. They risk their own and other peoples lives because the vaccine is too scary or inconvienient or whatever.

That's all I'm gonna say on this topic.

#6 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2022-01-11 01:10 AM | Reply

You're welcome dumbass.

#8 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2022-01-11 01:58 AM | Reply

---- their feelings! Didn't care about their feelings when they were alive and don't care about their feelings now that they are worm food.

#9 | Posted by a_monson at 2022-01-11 03:00 AM | Reply

Let us remember the HIV/AIDS crisis; it wasn't acceptable to mock people for dying from a virus. Even if the tighty righties disagreed with their choices. It wasn't an effective strategy, & it was heartless.

Honestly, in many ways the mocking is a way of venting frustration.

No its a form of expressing your tribe, just look at this site and see how we make it a partisan issue.

Why? How does it affect you?

"What the vaccines can't do anymore is prevent transmission."
CDC Director Walensky
twitter.com

#BeKind
#BeFree
#BeNice

#10 | Posted by oneironaut at 2022-01-11 03:38 AM | Reply

At this time the unvaccinated affect everyone else because they are the majority of people filling up hospital beds, which in turn means those beds aren't available for other non-covid patients and hospital staff are getting worn out and exhausted on the process.

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-01-11 03:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The unvaccinated affect their family members who worry they will get covid, fear for them if they are hospitalized and grieve for them when they die.

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2022-01-11 04:11 AM | Reply

You know who doesn't care about being mocked?

Dead people.

#13 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-01-11 04:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Won't someone please think of the feelings of the willfully ignorant?

#14 | Posted by censored at 2022-01-11 06:49 AM | Reply

These dead unvaxxinated killed themselves (and of course others) while fanatically showing off for one another. If you read the messages they leave, right up to the moment of death, it's about who was the most loyal member of their little club. And, while they cover themselves in smug superiority, they MOCK those persons who get the shots.

These people commit suicide. I truly pity their sane family members. But their insane family members, also unvaxxed, think that it was a doctor who killed their loved ones, not COVID.

#15 | Posted by Zed at 2022-01-11 07:23 AM | Reply

I don't make fun of people who did every they could to avoid getting sick who catch it anyway.I have no respect for the idiots who deliberately choose to pretend they are somehow immune without doing a single thing to avoid a highly contagious disease that may kill you or leave you seriously disabled if you survive.Those people deserve my scorn on top of everything else.

#16 | Posted by RJSquirrel at 2022-01-11 07:26 AM | Reply

Also, let's not forget the Venn diagram of those who refuse to vax and those who refuse to mask up and help spread this disease.

Some overlap with those who vote in Repubs who help spread the disease that killed 1 million Americans while they tell us it's just like the flu and we should talk more about CRT.

#17 | Posted by censored at 2022-01-11 07:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I won't mock them by name or make it personal,
but I will relish in the fact that every antivaxer that
dies is essentially (oh, a 90-95% chance) another Republican
that will never cast a vote.

Republicants are the disease. If Darwin or ignorance takes them out,
so be it...

#18 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-01-11 07:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mocking the dead is mean-spirited and dissuades more than persuades.

#3 | POSTED BY MODER8

Actually its the opposite. Mocking the idiots who died after putting up a thousand Facebook posts about COVID being the common cold, masks being stupid, and the vaccine being a government conspiracy actually tends to persuade people more than it dissuades.

#19 | Posted by Sycophant at 2022-01-11 08:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The quality of mercy is not strained, it drops as the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed, it blesses those that give, and those that receive it.

#20 | Posted by Rumpelstiltskin at 2022-01-11 08:45 AM | Reply

Except your stats are wrong, and Black's have a reason to be suspicious.

#22 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-11 09:19 AM | Reply

You're giving them one.

I'll do the same..White rednecks have a reason to be suspicious as well.

see?

Of course you knew this conversation would go here, right?

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-11 09:25 AM | Reply

Yav,

"Dumbasses gonna get slammed.Nature is unforgiving to fools. Plenty of warning, free shots. Walk in no appointment needed. Just get the vaccine and go about your day.
That's all I'm gonna say on this topic."

LOL

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-11 09:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yav,

"These dead unvaxxinated killed themselves (and of course others) while fanatically showing off for one another."

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-11 09:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Hey Righty-Trumptard-MAGATs,

Can we mock people who drink their own pee to cure covid after they turn down vaccines? Or should that be cancelled too? How about if they then die despite their best efforts to chug gallons of urine?

#26 | Posted by censored at 2022-01-11 09:35 AM | Reply

I'll do the same..White rednecks have a reason to be suspicious as well.

see?

Of course you knew this conversation would go here, right?

What? Go to an incredibly meaningless trolling from you, based in nonsense and devoid of reality, history, context, and fact? Why yes I did, Eberly. Yes. I did.

#27 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-11 09:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

images.immediate.co.uk

#28 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-11 09:45 AM | Reply

I didn't post a thread about mocking the unvaccinated.

Or were you along with a bunch of other dumb ----- here unware that the unvaccinated......means...well....the unvaccinated?

It's meaningless that blacks are unvaccinated?

Or just meaningless on a thread intended to insult white GOP unvaccinated people?

Am I ruining your fun?

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-11 09:56 AM | Reply

Here is my advice.....if you don't have the stomach to mock all of the unvaccinated.....then don't mock the unvaccinated.

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-11 09:57 AM | Reply

www.nbcnews.com
Women outnumber men on being vaccinated, so lets blame all men (again showing who is the smarter sex). Gee, Whites: 66 percent vaccinated and Blacks: 76 percent vaccinated...Does seem when broken down per race (not overall population), it is WHITES to blame. Oh and Trump Supporters - Biden voters in 2020 general election: 91 percent while Trump voters in 2020 general election: 50 percent. Poor little MAGATS, again science, statistics and basic facts do not back you up on anything. But, then again, you do drink bleach, your own urine and take heart deworming medicine made for animals...So, yes I laugh at you. Why feel sorry for those who refuse to learn or evolve?

#31 | Posted by Enlightened at 2022-01-11 10:32 AM | Reply

Am I ruining your fun?
#29 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Womp! Womp!

#32 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-01-11 10:53 AM | Reply

Eberly I thought you had work today. Goldbricking?

#33 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-01-11 11:01 AM | Reply

"Am I ruining your fun?"

Not at all! Don't be silly.
You can broadcast your ignorance all day long and it won't bother me.
I'll just move along enjoying myself.
Thanks!

#34 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-11 11:08 AM | Reply

self quarantining. a client I was with yesterday is waiting to hear if he tests positive.

#35 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-11 11:16 AM | Reply

I'll keep my fingers crossed, Eberly. You've done things right and you've already been through COVID. Best to you and your family.

#36 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-11 11:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

good luck, eberly.

#37 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-01-11 11:24 AM | Reply

"Let us remember the HIV/AIDS crisis; it wasn't acceptable to mock people for dying from a virus."

It was acceptable for right-wingers.

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-11 11:24 AM | Reply

In fact, HIV/AIDS killing homosexuals was celebrated as G-d's Will by Evangelical Christians.

Take your revisionist history and cram it.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-11 11:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

Thanks fellas. I appreciate it.

#40 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-11 11:29 AM | Reply

Mocking the dead is mean-spirited and dissuades more than persuades.
#3 | POSTED BY MODER8

Says who?

Herman Cain Award has convinced people who here holding out to get vaccinated.

Does showing crashed cars dissuade sober driving too?

You're lashing out with empathy. But empathy won't save the lives of sociopaths. It's kinda like Trump said about Mexicans: They aren't like you.

#41 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-11 11:31 AM | Reply

Hero of the right, William Bennett, wrote an entire book about the social utility of shame.

Now that the shame is directed at the ignorant GOP, instead of at single mothers or children growing up in poverty, the right is having a fit.

It is to laugh.

#42 | Posted by censored at 2022-01-11 12:14 PM | Reply

F**k your feelings

#43 | Posted by bored at 2022-01-11 12:20 PM | Reply

Fingers crossed Eberly.

There is definitely nuance to mocking the unvaccinated, but Sycophant is dead on in #19. Only a psychopath would mock a DR poster's lamenting the loss of a family member. I don't care how much I disagree with them.

Some things are beyond sick.

#44 | Posted by bocaink at 2022-01-11 12:21 PM | Reply

Choosing to be unvaccinated is stupid and selfish.

Bragging about it is evil.

I thank Covid for its service.

#45 | Posted by bored at 2022-01-11 12:23 PM | Reply

It was acceptable for right-wingers.

#38 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Many things are acceptable to hateful righty tighties but they will go ballistic when Dems do it back to them. They love to mock the weak and disadvantaged but when the Dems give them some of their own medicine they can't handle it. I have seen it right here many times.

Since Dems are not good at being hateful like Republicans, who have had a lot of practice demonizing and mocking the Other, Dems usually muck it up.

#46 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-01-11 01:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to Donnerboy's post #46. It is important for all of us to keep in focus the character of the political opposition.

#47 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-01-11 01:40 PM | Reply

If stupid people want to die or be disabled by a preventable disease why should anyone coddle their fee-fees about choosing to be stupid?

I mean they're already living with the consequences of that bad decision already.

What's a little ridicule compared to the premature deaths of loved ones? Especially knowing you may have caused it with your own stupid behavior.

I think there's a duty to shame dumbasses. They're ------- things up for innocent people.

I see no reason to spare blacks or rednecks.

Stupid is Stupid,no matter who it is.

Game on.

#48 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2022-01-11 02:14 PM | Reply

The fundamental flaw in scolding us "don't shame them!" is that they have no shame.

Do you think Ayn Rand's Superman can be shamed? Well neither can a Deplorable.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-11 02:21 PM | Reply

On an individual human level, I'm sorry they died and I have true sympathy for their families, friends, and loved ones.

On a societal level, I have zero regard for those who willfully went unvaccinated and unmasked. I have less than zero regard for those who actively promoted anti-vax propaganda, COVID hoax conspiracies, or hydroxychloroquine/Ivermectin treatments. F 'em all, good riddance.

#50 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2022-01-11 02:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#35 | POSTED BY EBERLY

My wife was positive last week, although she only had a bit of a sore throat the day of her first test. I still haven't tested positive, even though I wasn't very careful around her. We are both triple shot, but it's weird stuff. Good luck!

#51 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2022-01-11 03:02 PM | Reply

Baby jeebus strikes a Tebow pose whenever a repug plague rat chokes out.

#55 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2022-01-11 03:09 PM | Reply

So are you. Rooting for people to die is better than ridicule? You don't care about anyone. You encourage them to refuse lifesaving vaccines but then are mortified when people think they're stupid for listening to dumbasses like you.

Unbelievable.

#57 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2022-01-11 03:44 PM | Reply

Unbelievable.

#58 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2022-01-11 03:44 PM | Reply

Then he goes and whines that his mocking isn't being taken seriously.

#59 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-11 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Did she tell you she also has herpes?

#61 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2022-01-11 04:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Why mock them?

They died on their terms as a result of a choice they made.

Now, if they spent their last few dying moments wishing they had gotten the vaccine...then yeah...that's grounds for mocking.

#62 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-01-11 08:41 PM | Reply

#62 That's what most of them do.

#63 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-11 08:42 PM | Reply

Another republikkkunt gets tagged and bagged. Lol

www.sorryantivaxxer.com

#65 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2022-01-11 09:07 PM | Reply

She was very young to have died from getting covid. I really think she just thought that not being vaccinated was not going to raise her chances of dying from the virus significantly & statistics bear this out. The sad part is I think these people are very reckless in their behavior so they get in situations where they are exposed to a large amount of virus and that is what makes it so much more deadly than it normally is.

#66 | Posted by danS at 2022-01-11 11:06 PM | Reply

"How should we think about anti-vaccine activists who die from COVID?"

It's called a Death Cult.

#67 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-11 11:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sounds mentally ill to me.

#68 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2022-01-12 05:50 AM | Reply

Like a lot of Republicans www.kff.org
(click the "Definitely not" button at the top)

#69 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-12 08:12 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2022-01-11 12:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

If me mocking someone who wouldn't wear a mask or get vaccinated and they died, the person that sees that and says "because Nixon mocked them I am not going to get vaccinated or wear a mask either" is even more fooking stupid that the dead person.

Right now I am at the point where I don't give two ---- about anyone that would base their personal safety on how I react to someone else who died.

Everyone that rushes out to drink piss, eat horse paste or rely on YouTube "experts" for the medical care get what they deserve.

You can't fix stupid...but the virus can weed some of them out of the human garden.

#70 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-01-12 08:12 AM | Reply

Why mock them?

They died on their terms as a result of a choice they made.

The same reason why America's Funniest Home Videos has made decades of money off of human misery doing stupid ---- on tape.

It's funny.

#71 | Posted by Nixon at 2022-01-12 08:14 AM | Reply

#71 I would have gone with COPS, but you make a good point!

#72 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-12 08:54 AM | Reply

Does anyone here think it hurts dead people's feelings when they get mocked?

No, it's to send a message to the living: Don't kill yourself like those Deplorable morons, come to your senses before it's too late!

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-12 08:56 AM | Reply

Why mock them?

They died on their terms as a result of a choice they made.

Because their "choice" was the equivalent of sticking your tongue in a light socket.

Add in the fact that it's not just them affected by their actions ...

They are very much deserving of scorn and mockery.

#74 | Posted by jpw at 2022-01-12 09:10 AM | Reply

Yeah, yer right... we're being jerks...

Imagine what jerks we are going to be over "lock her up"... trust me... you haven't heard anything yet.

We always win in the end. It's a real shame the oinkers insist on making it so messy.

#75 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2022-01-12 01:36 PM | Reply

i'M NOT sorry for mocking right wing activizts who diacouraged millions of others from getting vaccinated, ;ike that dope Herman Caine. Noope, no apologies hrre. Yhese morons denird science and are responsible for millions of deaths.

#76 | Posted by danni at 2022-01-12 04:31 PM | Reply

And the King of the anti-vaxxers Donald Trump wAvaccinayed in Dec. of 2030. It underscores yjr stupidity of his supporters. God damn they are dumb!

#77 | Posted by danni at 2022-01-12 04:38 PM | Reply

"Some of you would be less miserable if you would just let lady rona take away your pain, lol."

#64 | POSTED BY RUFFALO_ROB

Kill yourself. Do it. You know you want to. Just pick up the gun, put it in your mouth, and pull the trigger. You'll be doing the world a favor.

#78 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-01-12 04:43 PM | Reply

#64 | Posted by RUFFALO_ROB

Even trump can do the math now and is begging his cult to get vaxxed. Not because he cares about you of course, just because he needs to get re elected so he can stay out of jail.

#79 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-01-12 06:56 PM | Reply

"Add in the fact that it's not just them affected by their actions ..."

Yeah, it is.

If you don't want to get sick from COVID, get a vax.

Most of the European health professionals are saying it's only a matter of time before everyone gets it. Many won't even know it.

#80 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-01-12 07:35 PM | Reply

"Then we'll miss seeing your cult lose the next election because you killed too many of your own cult members with lies."

Biden has done more than enough to turn away a sufficient number of Democrats. So we'll see what happens.

He actually sounds more like Trump with each passing day. I guess that's what us non-extremists have to look forward to.

#81 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-01-12 07:37 PM | Reply

POSTED BY MADBOMBER AT 2022-01-12 07:35 PM | REPLY

LOL

#82 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-01-12 07:59 PM | Reply

us non-extremists

---- argue that covid is no big deal. Sorry, guy...you're an extremist.

#83 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2022-01-12 08:00 PM | Reply

"If you really, really don't want to get it, then don't interact with other humans."

How would such a person be born?

#84 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-12 08:01 PM | Reply

We're past the point where people should be scared of this silly thing.

That was 842k deaths ago.

#85 | Posted by ClownShack at 2022-01-12 08:08 PM | Reply

"---- argue that covid is no big deal. Sorry, guy...you're an extremist."

And probably a fascist, too, right.

Isn't anyone not playing for your team a "fascist?"

That's nothing more than taking a page from the old COMINTERN playbook.

#86 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-01-12 08:25 PM | Reply

"You were past that point as soon as Trump told you the dangers were an exaggerated Democratic hoax in order to hurt his chances at winning the reelection."

Gibraltar is 100% vaccinated. 117% to be exact.

Their infection rate is about three times as high as that of the US.

#87 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-01-12 08:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#80 We're past the point where people should be scared of this silly thing. It's become an irrational phobia.

I partially agree.

Let's start by banning the unvaccinated from being treated in hospital, since it is a silly thing and hospitals are busy.

Another million unvaccinated dead is no biggie.

#88 | Posted by bored at 2022-01-12 08:33 PM | Reply

Gibraltar is 100% vaccinated. 117% to be exact.

I'm not sure you know how percentages work.

#89 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-12 08:41 PM | Reply

-We're past the point where people should be scared of this silly thing.

It's all about politics and appearance to most.

#90 | Posted by eberly at 2022-01-12 08:58 PM | Reply

Sorry, But Gibraltar Doesn't Make the Case for Vaccine Critics

#91 | Posted by YAV at 2022-01-12 09:11 PM | Reply

I'm not dumb enough to think Gibraltar is much like the USA.

Hey, at least the lone hospital there will still be functioning like, well you know, a normal hospital

#92 | Posted by brass30 at 2022-01-12 09:23 PM | Reply

Gibraltar is 100% vaccinated. 117% to be exact.

LOL, I guess some people like the vax so much there they got it twice :)

#93 | Posted by brass30 at 2022-01-12 09:24 PM | Reply

We're past the point where people should be scared of this silly thing

What do you tell all those people in the hospital then? I am sure they are scared.

And I'm sure you wouldn't think it's silly if you had to be taken there for a non COVID condition and could not be treated.

#94 | Posted by brass30 at 2022-01-12 09:27 PM | Reply

Why mock them?
They died on their terms as a result of a choice they made.

If we're talking pre-Omicron, their choice had an affect on me even as I was vaccinated. So it just wasn't "their terms".

They were endangered themselves, as well as me by potentially spreading it.

#95 | Posted by brass30 at 2022-01-12 09:42 PM | Reply

"The entire idea is to get near full vaccination, therefore not allowing the virus to spread."

That's probably not going to happen, but just like the flu shot isn't 100% effective, you're gonna want to have that flu shot if you end up with the flu.

#96 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-12 09:43 PM | Reply

I should say virus to spread as easily.

#97 | Posted by brass30 at 2022-01-12 09:47 PM | Reply

-We're past the point where people should be scared of this silly thing.
It's all about politics and appearance to most.
#90 | POSTED BY EBERLY

No, it's not.
No more than any other shot you can get is about politics and appearance.
Admittedly, Republicans tried to politicize the cervical cancer shot too. Saying it would turn girls into -----. Like they need a shot for that.

#98 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-01-12 09:48 PM | Reply

I guess that's what us non-extremists have to look forward to.

#81 | Posted by madbomber

It's funny to watch someone fighting for fascism every day and calling themselves non-extremist.

You hoping for a moderate form of fascism?

#99 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2022-01-13 12:14 AM | Reply