Sunday, April 10, 2022

Working from home. It was fun while it lasted? About three out of five managers believe that remote work is on the wane and workers will be back in the office full-time by the end of this year.

Comments

More from the article...

...About 77% of managers said they'd be willing to implement "severe consequences" -- including firing workers or cutting pay and benefits -- on those who refuse to return to the office, according to a recent survey by employment background check company GoodHire of 3,500 American managers.

Although many surveys have shown that the majority of workers prefer remote and hybrid work structures, most managers still believe in-person work is best. Former Google CEO and chairman Eric Schmidt even recently weighed in about the return-to-work debate, saying that it's important people be at the office and he's happy the remote era seems to be ending. "I don't know how you build great management [with remote work]. I honestly don't," he said. And about half of managers, 51%, genuinely believe that their workers want to return to the office.

"Clearly, managers are struggling," said Max Wesman, GoodHire's chief operating officer. "Organizations that find a work arrangement that satisfies the majority of their workforce will benefit in the areas of recruitment, productivity, employee satisfaction, and retention."...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-04-09 01:52 PM | Reply

Related...

Work Safe. Work Smart. Go Remote.
www.cat.com

...Cat Command Remote Control Technologies for Construction are reshaping jobsites worldwide. In hazardous materials or unsafe conditions, remote control takes operators off the machine and away from dangers. Operators can even work miles away from the site itself, driving bottom-line benefits....

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-04-09 01:55 PM | Reply

Fed up managers, yeah it's kinda a job description.

I go to work everyday but they get fed up with me too. Because I have a modicum of self respect.
But I make them money so what can they do.

#3 | Posted by bruceaz at 2022-04-09 02:19 PM | Reply

A lot of work from home is not work.

In fact my retirement plan is to get a job doing classified work in a region that limits the amount of time you can come in to the office.

Work one day a week, get paid for five.

#4 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-04-09 02:27 PM | Reply

I love working from home. I just wish I didn't have to drive so much to get to my customers homes.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-04-09 02:37 PM | Reply

If the strong preference of people is to work from home, wouldn't that reduce the number of available people who are willing to trek to the office each day?

And if the pool of eligible people willing to work in the office shrinks enough, wouldn't supply and demand start raising the wages (or other benefits) paid to work in the office?

So then, does the question become, how much extra are companies going to be willing to pay in order to get people to go back to the office?

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-04-09 02:43 PM | Reply

In all fairness, I work in a relatively rarified profession.

I think that the vast majority of employers would benefit from having employees pay for their own office space in their own domicile.

#7 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-04-09 02:53 PM | Reply

Pay for their own office space...

Lol, you just said you'd work one day a week to be compensate for 5.

#8 | Posted by bruceaz at 2022-04-09 03:02 PM | Reply

I work with someone who COULD NOT WAIT to get back to the office.

To her cubicle in the office, where it's all cubicles, even the managers have cubicles.

I'd rather work in my car over McDonald's WiFi.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-04-09 03:11 PM | Reply

The work at home crowd is mussing something crucial in achieving raises and climbing the ladder and that is 'FACETIME' with the boss. My son went into the office every day to work while the majority of those others officers worked remotely. The face time with the Generals paid off as when he was scheduled to depart/PCS he got a 'plumb assignment' in the state he requested his 'Dream Sheet'..

#10 | Posted by MSgt at 2022-04-09 04:44 PM | Reply

Sounds like a great way to lose quality employees.

The only people who should be rooting for returning to an office are people who own office buildings.

#11 | Posted by qcp at 2022-04-09 05:14 PM | Reply

Sorry, not having it. REMOTE ONLY!

Good luck though.

#12 | Posted by fresno500 at 2022-04-10 05:44 AM | Reply

Not gonna happen. If the work can be done remotely, it WILL be done remotely or it won't be done.

Enjoy trying to hire right now. Americans are sick of being treated like crap by employers, and they're simply not going to put up with it any more.

#13 | Posted by DarkVader at 2022-04-10 01:54 PM | Reply

You don't have to be in the office to use FaceTime, it works from anywhere.

#14 | Posted by DarkVader at 2022-04-10 01:57 PM | Reply

This is all being done to force people back to work so thay can be 'lorded over' by largely useless outmoded middle managers. It is straight up job preservation by and for the management...

#15 | Posted by earthmuse at 2022-04-10 07:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You don't have to be in the office to use FaceTime, it works from anywhere.

True, but AssKissing only works in person.

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2022-04-10 08:17 PM | Reply

I'd love to see a breakdown of the industries those managers work in. I can't see the whole article. My entire career has been in IT so remote work isn't anything new and we can do almost every IT function away from the office. But, there are jobs where being remote makes it more difficult to do business. It would just be interesting to see how it all breaks down in metrics.

#17 | Posted by humtake at 2022-04-11 11:46 AM | Reply

Middle managers are not happy with allowing their charges to work from home, because people would quickly realize how much of a scam professional middle management actually is.

#18 | Posted by contrecoup at 2022-04-11 01:05 PM | Reply

You don't have to be in the office to use FaceTime, it works from anywhere.

True, but AssKissing only works in person.

#16 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Good luck with that ya'll. I retired just before the pandemic hit. Best timing ever.

So I work for me now. And the only butt I kiss is my wife's. And she has a nice butt so I don't mind that at all!

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-04-11 01:51 PM | Reply

"because people would quickly realize how much of a scam professional middle management actually is."

Whatever! I put in a hard 40 hour shift - staying after 5 on a Thursday! (not really doing anything other than masochistically denying myself the savings of another Thirsty Thursday Happy Hour 'The more you drink, the more you save!') - and I was rewarded by middle management with a STRESS-RELIEF squeeze ball for my efforts!

Put that on my review!

#20 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2022-04-11 02:06 PM | Reply

Needs to be a congestion tax on employers that insist on employees coming in every day when they clearly can do their jobs from home.

#21 | Posted by dibblda at 2022-04-11 04:00 PM | Reply

"About 77% of managers said they'd be willing to implement "severe consequences" -- including firing workers or cutting pay and benefits"

About 77% of managers admit they are not good at their jobs.

#22 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-04-11 10:44 PM | Reply

"About 77% of managers admit they are not good at their jobs."

Agreed. That number is perfectly in line with the observation that 75% of employees who quit don't quit their jobs, they quit their boss.

Unless you're remarkably lucky, or just new to working and a little bit lucky, we've all had terrible bosses.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-04-11 10:49 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

LOL! You can't fire your mom.

#24 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2022-04-11 10:55 PM | Reply

That may not work out like middle management wants. As near 1/3rd say they'll quit rather than go back to the office.

From the same article, Sixty-one percent of the white-collar workers surveyed said they want their company to let them work remotely indefinitely, even after the pandemic is over.

And gathered from a news report on local news, a large percentage of at home workers would refuse a promotion if it meant they had to go back to the office to have it.

#25 | Posted by BBQ at 2022-04-12 12:25 AM | Reply

"Nearly 30% of working professionals would quit if they had to return to office after pandemic"

But probably half that, if push came to shove.

Claiming they would is the easy part.

#26 | Posted by Danforth at 2022-04-12 01:08 AM | Reply

I work part time from home as a tool designer.
No design..no pay.
Couldn't be better. No cheating.. No drive to office.
Win/win

#27 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2022-04-12 09:43 AM | Reply

Managers crying that they don't have people to bully around anymore. Most office work can be done remotely. What I have found is most businesses don't pay their employees enough to live near the office. I remember one time I had a boss bragging how he had a 10 minute commute to his luxury condo. The peons like me in the cubicle farm drove over an hour and sometimes almost 2 if traffic was bad. The company was so greedy they charged their own employees to park in the building. Most of us didn't want to pay the 250.00 a month so we walked close to a mile for free street parking. I have a govt job now. I can't imagine going back to the corporate world now.

#28 | Posted by byrdman at 2022-04-12 10:48 AM | Reply

I think a hybrid approach is best.

In my line of work an office/work space is a must. Can't do experiments at home.

However, on days like today when all I have is computer work, my company lets me work from home.

But then again my company is run by a bunch of Brits, so they have a healthy view of work-life balance.

#29 | Posted by jpw at 2022-04-12 10:59 AM | Reply