Friday, April 22, 2022

On TikTok and online, the youngest workers are rejecting work as we know it. How will that play out IRL [in real life]?

Comments

More from the article...

..."I don't have goals. I don't have ambition. I only want to be attractive." This apathetic declaration is the start of a TikTok rant that went viral for its blatant message: to reject hard work and indulge in leisure. Thousands of young people have since remixed the sound on the app, providing commentary about their post-college plans, dream jobs, or ideal lifestyles as stay-at-home spouses.

Over the past two years, young millennials and members of Gen Z have created an abundance of memes and pithy commentary about their generational disillusionment toward work. The jokes, which correspond with the rise of anti-work ideology online, range from shallow and shameless ("Rich housewife is the goal") to candid and pessimistic.

"I don't want to be a girlboss. I don't want to hustle," declaimed another TikTok user. "I simply want to live my life slowly and lay down in a bed of moss with my lover and enjoy the rest of my existence reading books, creating art, and loving myself and the people in my life."

Many have taken to declaring how they don't have dream jobs since they "don't dream of labor." ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-04-22 01:28 PM | Reply

It will be interesting when reality hits the fan...

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-04-22 01:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This article is really stretching it. They take a tiktok trend of people lip syncing over an old recording from James Baldwin, who was not even mentioned in the article, and then act like any silly thing a person tosses on tiktok is a reflection of who they actually are. Where are the labor statistics showing workers under 25 aren't working?

The truth is that the employment rate for that age group had been on the increase for the past decade as the labor market recovered from the financial industry collapse of 2008. That was until 2020 when covid rocked the labor market and resulted in large drops across every age range.

#3 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-04-22 05:46 PM | Reply

It's hard to blame kids being uninterested in work for the sake of work. What is worrying is the lack of understanding that when you find your dream job you will actually enjoy working. At that point you are no longer working for the sake of work but working for the joy you derive from work.

Or tldr: Chose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-04-22 05:58 PM | Reply

Actually this article reminds me of the type of garbage that media wrote about GenX and how we were apathetic slackers who wouldn't amount to much. You shouldn't pigeonhole and entire generation based on a tiktok trend anymore than you should based on a Douglas Coupland novel and a Kevin Smith film.
Then again, seeing as GenX are the parents of much of the later half of GenZ maybe it's not all that surprising if these younger people who have now lived through two of the biggest economic crashes in global history may hold some pessimistic views about capitalism and the value of labor.

#5 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2022-04-22 06:04 PM | Reply

"Gen Z does not dream of labor"

Why would they?

"Since 1975, practically all the gains in household income have gone to the top 20% of households."

Any Repubilcans want to be dumb enough to tell us those households are predominated by laborers?

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-04-22 06:08 PM | Reply

----, I'm Gen X and I learned very quickly that the reason to get that college degree is to not destroy your body through labor.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-04-22 06:09 PM | Reply

I think it's sad that half the populations can't learn c++ because the average IQ is 100 (so half of everybody is dumber than that).

The woke thing to do is just throw the them away then. Why not work for China?

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2022-04-22 06:15 PM | Reply

To me sitting at a desk in front of a computer would destroy my mind far faster than most manual labor could destroy my body.

That's the thing though what one dude enjoys is someone else's job from hell. This massive push in society to have kids decide at 18 how they want to spend their life. I got into chemical engineering at 18 and was lucky enough to know by 19 that it was a mistake. How many kids realize it's a mistake but carry on due to pressure and end up with a mountain of debt and a career they hate but are trapped in?

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2022-04-22 06:21 PM | Reply

"This massive push in society to have kids decide at 18 how they want to spend their life."

Yeah that's very unrealistic. I only know two people who just knew what they wanted to be when they were kids, and do that today.

Also: Get a stand-up desk. "Sitting is the new smoking." And with connectivity being what it is, the desk could be a Starbucks or a park bench or the passenger seat of my car.

I'm worried more about my eyes than my brain. Gave up worrying about that a long time ago.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2022-04-22 06:26 PM | Reply

The future is bleak, gentlemen. www.nytimes.com

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2022-04-22 06:33 PM | Reply

#3 i believe it's the 13yos to worry about ... the next gen, not the current stats.
what do they see looking around? oligarchs killing people in EVERY country. hatred and discrimination everywhere.

#12 | Posted by ichiro at 2022-04-22 06:40 PM | Reply

@#3 ... This article is really stretching it. ...

I agree with that to the point that the article has not shown any manner of representative sample.

Back in my college years, we had the "flower child" description that is quite similar to the "...I simply want to live my life slowly and lay down in a bed of moss with my lover and enjoy the rest of my existence reading books, creating art, and loving myself and the people in my life..." of the article.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2022-04-22 07:23 PM | Reply

Funny dat. I never "dreamed" about "labor" either.

I dreamed of making myself so valuable that others would pay me to do stuff for them. Hopefully things I enjoyed doing. And lucky me I figured out how to make my dream come true.

Some dream of sweating it out and doing manual "labor" at some set hourly wage. I dreamed of creating a career. Something I could retire on.

That's just me ... To each his own I guess.

Anyway long story short.. I am happily retired now. With an actual pension that I earned. An annuity that I can draw on for the rest of my life and (or) my wife's life. Never have to do "labor" for anyone else ever again. If I don't want to.

It's not easy to find your way in this world but if I can do it anyone can. (Of course joining the Marines was the smartest thing I ever did because it gave me time to figure it out. )

Good luck out there.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2022-04-22 11:24 PM | Reply

Since 1975 practically all gains in household income have gone to those who don't make TikTok videos.

#15 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-04-23 11:48 AM | Reply

After being in the military, being a civillian seems easy.

I had a roommate who became a SEAL. He said he wanted to do it, because after that, everything else would seem easy. I don't know how much interest he had in actually being a SEAL.

#16 | Posted by madbomber at 2022-04-23 11:50 AM | Reply

Being a wage-slave for a stupid billionaire is no way to live.

#17 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2022-04-24 01:12 PM | Reply